The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Fast and Loose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Well, here goes. Can't always just blab about it, have to walk it too- will try a stab at "outreach" outside of the normal "church" or Sunday School setting. I am fortunate to have near my place of occupancy several large "common" areas (not sidewalks): a pier, a large and busy walking park with several outdoor gathering areas, and large waiting areas outside of restaurants. Going to set up a tv tray soon and do some close-up including Dean's Box, Symbolic Knowledge, sponge bunnies, etc., then throw in the "Fast and Loose" chain. The "bets" are going to be Ten Commandment coins (everyone is going to "win" in the end)- we'll see how many of those can be distributed and/or discussions about them started... Won't be selling anything, taking tips or advertising anything- so I think the 1st Amendment might be ok on this as long as I'm not blocking the walkways... I'll keep you posted, might try doing a three minute report on these excursions for the podcast to let you know how it goes/encourage others to give it a similar shot. Would be interested in hearing from fellow FCMers trying something like this before in "public" open park areas and how it went... I have seen MagicBob do this personally at busy bus stops and actually while riding on public buses in Bermuda with great success- we would walk up to a bunch of people waiting for a bus and he'd announce: "Would you like to see a magic trick?"--- and after a few good effects- would be into a discussion as to the "King of Hearts" of his life. Amazing... Hey, I know the guy who owns the house directly across from Michigan Stadium- literally many thousands walk by his front yard on football Saturdays... No excuse for me anymore...
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Hi Roger,

It will be interesting to see how this is blessed.

Keep us updated!

My prayers are with you.

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
That sounds great Roger! It is something that I've been looking at trying for awhile but I don't have the traffic that you do....lol You may want to take a look at the Sidewalk Shuffle area of the Café. There are a lot of good tips for street performers that would apply to what you're doing...

I hope that it goes well and that numerous people hear the gospel. Please keep us updated!

Praying!

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Roger,

It certainly IS an interesting approach to this very venerable street con. In fact, an approach you could take is a very quick history of the con, and then explain that how we can turn a negative thing that has fleeced thousands of people into something rewarding.

If you are at all familiar with The Canterbury Tales, you could tell a quick synopsis of the The Summoner, who, despite his bad character, actually does good! The word of God can be learned in the most unlikely ways. You truly have a LOT of potential with this con. People are fascinated by games of chance even if they do not partake in them. What a cool way to take this in a fun, positive direction.

Namaste,
Vlad
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I just got off the phone with the City of St. Joseph Clerk's office (located on the lake shore of Lake Michigan- has a beautiful beach and well traveled pier)- they are getting back to me- looks like I will hopefully be granted a "performers permit" too- which is valid as long as I do not sell anything, have signage, or take tips (which I won't be accepting), or block the pier sidewalk (which is pretty impossible to do since it is 20 yards wide at least). Fired Up! I'll keep you posted, I may give it a whirl this weekend if the weather holds out.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Bravo! Hope it goes well. Love the Fast and Loose idea to hand out the coins. And if you want to share your experience via the podcast...we'd love to have it!.

><> J
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
MagicBus,

Just curious, these Ten Commandment coins, if you are giving them out as souvenirs, they could carry the appropriate Commandment(s) and on the obverse side have YOUR contact info.

Might be a good marketing idea. People are going to remember and KEEP a coin LONNNG after the business card Smile

Namaste,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Fast and Loose (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL