The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IJet NAV, iPod Touch and Great Customer Service! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I posted earlier of having an issue with my iJet NAV not working properly with my 2nd Generation iPod Touch. (See: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=11&0 ) In a nutshell, the iJet NAV receiver was disabling the audio out port of my Touch.

I contacted Tim at Value Outfitters and he said he wasn't aware of an issue but would look into it. He made a few suggestions, which did not work. The next day, he emailed me three times with updates on what he was finding! He tested an iJet receiver with a Touch and it worked fine so he offered to send me a replacement. When I mentioned that I had two iJet NAV units and both were doing the same thing, he said that it wasn't like a faulty receiver.

That same day, he went out and bought a new Touch to see if Apple had made a change in it. Within a short while, he emailed me and said the new Touch was doing the same thing I described. He determined that Apple had made a change that was routing the audio signal directly to the dock connector when the iJet NAV receiver was connected, instead of leaving it at the audio out port. (Apparently, most dock systems get the audio through the dock connector.) Tim said he would have his software team look at it and come up with a solution. He asked me to sit tight as it might take a few days.

The next day, he emailed me that they added a command to the receiver to make it work and he was sending me a replacement!

Wow, now that's customer service! I received 7 emails in 3 days and he solved the issue. All this for a remote that costs under $30!

If you want to buy one, make sure you go with the iJet NAV as it works with all Nanos and Touches:
http://www.valueoutfitters.com/iJet-Appl......mote.htm

(If you are using a newer generation Touch, you might want to mention that when you order it to make sure they send you one that has been updated.)

Michael
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Just ordered one from him over the weekend.

Hoping it works as good as you say it does, Michael!
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Like any other remote system I've used, it takes a little time to get used to the feel of the remote but I'm as comfortable with the iJet NAV as I was with my iCue Duo.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

I just got the replacement receiver for the iJet NAV and it works perfectly now!

Kudos to Tim at Value Outfitters.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hey Michael-

I have a question for you.

I rec'd the Ijet NAV remote today, (no problems there), however when I plug in the receiver to the bottom of my nano, there isn't enough room to plug in the 1/8" mini plug so that I can connect it to my sound system!!!!

The plug-in hole is blocked by the receiver!!!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Which model Nano do you have? If it's a 4th generation Nano, there is a cable you can purchase at Radio Shack that is very narrow and I used a utility knife to flatten one side of the plastic "handle" so that it would fit. If you have a 5th generation Nano (it has a built-in video camera), you'll want to contact Tim at Value Outfitters. I know he said they had a way to make it work.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Is there any external power to this arrangement, or does it just operate off batteries?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'll post the link for the Radio Shack cable if you have the 4th gen. Nano. Just let me know.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hi Michael!

Going back to the Packing box I found an "Adapter" that has been already pre-flattened on one side and that seems to solve the problem!

First problem solved!

Now I just have to figure out a way to add a blank track between my songs as a couple of my tracks want to fade into the next track!

I'm guessing a blank track between songs will cure that, huh?

=Frank=

Frank Thurston

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Exactly. I have a 20-minute blank track between each of my songs (unless I want them to play without a pause.) I created mine in Audacity. I also found that the blank tracks can get quite large if you don't reduce the bit rate and the sample rate and make it a mono track rather than stereo. I used an 8K bit rate and a 22k sample rate to reduce the file to 1.3mb. (The first one I created was a whopping 19.4mb for silence!)
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-16 08:03, ClintonMagus wrote:
Is there any external power to this arrangement, or does it just operate off batteries?

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. The iJet NAV has a battery in the remote but the receiver doesn't use a power source (although it may get it from the iPod through the connection.) The remote is like a car door remote or garage door remote so the battery has a long life.

The iPod, of course, runs on a built-in rechargeable battery.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 22:36, Michael Messing wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 08:03, ClintonMagus wrote:

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. The iJet NAV has a battery in the remote but the receiver doesn't use a power source (although it may get it from the iPod through the connection.) The remote is like a car door remote or garage door remote so the battery has a long life.

The iPod, of course, runs on a built-in rechargeable battery.

I'm just always wary about running a critical system on batteries if power is available. Are the docking stations listed on the site iJet compatible?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

I didn't get a chance to check the power thing until today. The iJet NAV receiver has an AC pass-through and the remote still works when connected to AC. So, you can keep the iPod plugged in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » IJet NAV, iPod Touch and Great Customer Service! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL