The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Progressing in Card Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Hello all;
I have finished "The Royal Road" and am curious as to what people would recommend as a good book to follow this with.

If you post a suggestion, please indicate wether or not the book contains info on the use of the "sh*** card".

thankyou.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Get "Closeup Card Magic" by H. Lorayne...lotza good stuff in that book...or "The Classic Collection Vol. I" (2005) if you have the bank. Anything authored by Harry is worth looking into! I don't know what a sh*** card is, so I can't help you with that...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I got expert card technique after royal road, depends how you feel royal road went! a lot of the stuff I had seen before (but did it anyway in fear of the book slapping me for looking ahead) because I wanted to get the basics right (that I had learnt from bad sources).

Take a look around and find a few people marketing tricks you like the look of. A lot of them have reviews here or tell you how difficult they are themselves and are really cool. The worry for me is that if you just get tricks like that, that your technique wouldn't be the best but if you have done royal road you are probably fine for most of what's about.

I think I know what you mean by sh*** card, I can't remember if expert card technique has it, don't the book to hand at the minute
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The Card College series. Start with one and work your way through to volume 5.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
Yes I would recommend the card college series too.

And I don't think it has material on usage of the sh*** card. If that is what I think you are thinking.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I'm becoming more and more curious about that sh*** card. Is it a dirty word?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I think it ends with "t" Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
This is a Long way to go for this word .
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Quote:
On 2010-09-14 14:55, Failed Magician wrote:
I think it ends with "t" Smile

A dirty word it is.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Ai de mi!!! All of this mystery over a vertically challenged card Smile
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Think Little People. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Quote:
On 2010-09-14 17:41, Vlad_77 wrote:
Ai de mi!!! All of this mystery over a vertically challenged card Smile

Aha, you meant the v*c* card.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-09-14 18:00, edh wrote:
Think Little People. Smile
Aha! I recall a song by Randy Newman in '77 off his "Little Criminals" LP that stirred up some controversial issues back then...some of you youngsters may not remember that though...

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Owen,
I am not home and do not have access to my books, but isn't use of the vertically-challenged card discussed in Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (edited by Hugard)? If so, you might want to check it out. Good luck.
Angelo
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There's a book I belive called the Long and Short of it.
– Karl Germain
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Not sure about a book but I know there's a DVD called Miracles with a S**rt card by Peter Cassford

As for books to recommend following Royal Road to Card Magic I'd also say Card College Light series or the Nick Trost books are very good too Card Magic of Nick Trost and Subtle Card Creations. As well as the tricks their invaluable for the sleight section at the back of them.

Also having great joy at the moment reading Charles Jordans Best Card Tricks especially the section on riffle shuffle techniques. Some of the thinking there is brilliant who'd have thought you could legitamately shuffle and cut a deck of cards so many times yet still find a spectators card.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 15:10, motown wrote:
There's a book I belive called the Long and Short of it.

I believe that is Mark Davis' Svengali Pitch book.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
How about John G's new book "One Degree". No s**** card work but some really good solid material to get your feet wet.
Eric
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
Sorry I should have read which forum this was under but if you like gaff card magic David Solomon has his book "Solomon's Mind" that has some really great gaff magic in it.It is out of print but it def comes up on ebay.
Eric
Eric Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Eric Johnson
Oh last one, Josh Jay's Overlap is pretty good too.
Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Progressing in Card Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL