The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best modern close up magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Just a random survey, I'm wondering who you feel is your favorite modern close-up magician, and why you like him/her.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
"best" being relative -- each magician should believe they are the best close-up magician for the couple of effects they have perfected and selected for a particular audience. If this is not so perhaps more practice is indicated.

Maybe you should ask, "Which close-up performer would you most like to emulate, or which has inspired you the most?"

Personally I have many favorites for a particular effect, but none that I would wish to see continuously -- and that is based on DVD or YourTube performances that tell little of their presense in a live situation. I always want to see how the performer leads into an effect and blends into the next one before knowing how good they are.

but, in the spirit of what I think you are asking ...

The best for impromptu close-up is Mb, the best for teaching is David Roth, the best for explaining a new sleight is Tim Feher
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
John Carney is one who has inspired me.
There are others, Whit Haydn, Bill Palmer, lots of people.
"But there isn't a door"
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There are a lot of teremendous close-up people out there, would be very hard to find a best out of that crowd. All of them certainly have their areas of specialization. Any of the Godfather Vinnie's La Familiga, Curtis Kam, Any of the NY coin seminar guys, I'd agree with John, Whit and Bill mentioned above, Eric Jones our VIP of the month certainly is in that group, way too many to really mention.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Tommy Wonder

For his approach, presentation, thoughts on the art and furthering the art

But it really is impossible to name just one

When it comes to smooth I think of John Carney, when it comes to personable I think of Ammar

and all 3 men named above are amazing in their approach and thoughts, are amazingly smooth and personable

and that's before card men, Ricky Jay, Juan Tamariz, Darwin Ortiz, Aaron Fisher, Michael Vincent the list could go on and on

David Roth for his work on coins

Am certain others here can name hundreds of other top flight performers

But for me .... It will always be Tommy Wonder
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I agree with Vick (anybody think that would ever happen?). Tommy Wonder is the finest modern close-up magician, and despite his passing, I believe genius like his comes around very rarely. I imagine it will be some time before someone comes along who redefines the art like he did.
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
A couple that I look up to are Pop Hayden, David Stone, and Cyril Takayama. Their level of presentation, ability work the crowd, use of misdirection, and sleight of hand ability are what I strive to reach and surpass.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best modern close up magician? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL