The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Info Wanted: 'Opening Minds' DVD by Colin McLeod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 14:18, Colin wrote:
I coulda sworn I said this, but when it's not there, I move it there while cutting the envelops and saying "these are totally mixed right?" ... Simple eh?

Col

I'm starting to think this is all part of a conspiracy to make me think I've lost my marbles (which isn't to say that I haven't). Smile

Okay, I've watched the explanation again. Here's what is said, starting at about 1hr 27min on disc one: "The only thing that needs to happen- and it happened perfectly last night (and it will happen 1 in 4 times)- is that...envelope #2...has to be...third from the top."

You then forge ahead dealing with this ideal scenario (and you do mention doing a pass if the spectator is awkward enough to say "1" or "4" in such a case) but you never go back to discuss the other 3 initial setups: when the desired envelope is first, second or fourth from the top.

Anyone else who has watched the DVD, who understands what I mean, please chime in. I have to go now. The nice lady with my medication is coming.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Also, bear in mind that all the 'moves' I discussed with the envelopes allow you to get it into any position regardless of where it ends up when you get those envelopes back. And this is all discussed.

It's up to you whether you do the work in the beginning or during.

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
For people that live in the U.S., here are some more words that may be of interest if you wish to perform a certain effect from disc 3: dove, orbit, & eclipse. My personal favorite is the last one because the first two words I wouldn't really expect to find in a newspaper (well, orbit I could see in a newspaper devoted to science and astrology, but not much else), but I wouldn't think it odd to read in any newspaper that a certain director's film has "eclipsed" the popularity of his previous efforts, or something of that nature.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I have to say that I understand Mind Guerilla's 'frustration' in not being understood. I had the same question as he did.
Indeed, in the beginning of the explanation of the chair routine, Colin mentions that he gets the envelopes back in the ideal order, meaning envelope 2 is at position 3. And the explanation continues from there on. But, they never mention what to do when the spectatator (participant) who shuffled the envelopes hands them back and envelope 2 is in another position. I know of course you can simply cut the stack to get the envelope where it needs to be before asking the spec which envelope he picks for the performer. I did indeed also miss this part of information. (nitpicking, I know) Expectations for complete info are high when you get to see all of the other material. Colin is really spoiling us with this set. DVD1 alone is worth more than the price of the complete set. This dvd set raises the bar for anyone releasing a real world mentalism dvd.
I have only sat through the first two dvd's now and all of the material is practical, well thought out and covered in extreme detail. Well done! (and I got to see my back on the footage from Tabula Mentis as a bonus) Smile

Too bad this isn't a limited edition. It's pure gold for any performer.
So please take them off the market right now.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 16:33, cpbartak wrote:
For people that live in the U.S., here are some more words that may be of interest if you wish to perform a certain effect from disc 3: dove, orbit, & eclipse.

Good idea!

Quote:
On 2010-10-23 16:51, Bartelli wrote:
I have to say that I understand Mind Guerilla's 'frustration' in not being understood. I had the same question as he did. Indeed, in the beginning of the explanation of the chair routine, Colin mentions that he gets the envelopes back in the ideal order, meaning envelope 2 is at position 3. And the explanation continues from there on. But, they never mention what to do when the spectatator (participant) who shuffled the envelopes hands them back and envelope 2 is in another position.

See? They laughed at me when I sat down at the keyboard! Smile

Quote:
Expectations for complete info are high when you get to see all of the other material.

Agreed. If the other explanations weren't so darn thorough, I may not even have mentioned this.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I just want to make clear that this is easily my favorite mentalism set of dvds to anyone on the fence with this one. I mentioned that it sucked that the performance of a certain effect was left off, others are talking about one explanation not being complete. I just want to make apparent that these complaints are very nitpicky, and overall this is a brilliant set of dvds. When you get a nearly perfect diamond with one small tiny chip on it, that one chip is going to stick out and bother you because the diamond is so close to perfect. In contrast, if you get a diamond with many nicks, you don't see much discussion about any one of them in particular because the diamond's quite far from perfect, and you're not as frustrated because it's harder to imagine it as perfect. Do yourself a favor and get this set if you perform, or are interested in, mentalism.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Cpbartak,

Thank you for your comment--and the 'perspective' you provide!

Tom
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've had a chance to make one initial pass through this 4 DVD set and I can't believe how packed it is with amazing effects, routines, techniques, and thinking. This is easily worth 4x the amount! Thanks for sharing so much of your thinking Colin. I have much of your existing print material, but it's even better seeing you in action, as well as hearing you and Mark talk through your thinking (well done Mark too!).

One aspect I absolutely love about this DVD package -- you are seeing the real deal -- Colin, performing in front of a real audience. And by real, I mean, you get to see the challenges of a real performance and how Colin deals with them. For example, in one effect, Lottery, the "best case scenario" doesn't work out. But instead of editing it out and doing the effect once again so that we end up seeing the ideal performance, Colin keeps it in, and you get to see how he deals with hiccups that present themselves in any performance. This is so much more valuable than just seeing each effect come off flawless.

Again, well done Colin, you've made a wonderful product!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I agree.
Colin this is my favorite DVD set alongside the Mind Mysteries from Osterlind.

Love your thinking on all the effects.

I liked everything really!!

ALL WORKERS

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
PREDICTION

I predict that Collin is going to be one of the greats in the future, with the tops including Cassidy, Benachek, Docc, Osterlind etc....
I think a lot of Mentalist were inspired by the teachings of the masters and Colin, with this DVD set is in my books will be the future....
Maybe it`s a bold statment but you guys watch!
I would hate for too many Mentalist or Magicians to perform the stuff on the DVD and hence would hate to recommend it. But I have to say that I just finished watching the DVD set and if you were a serious Mentalist or Magician and you don`t get the set, you would be missing out on the best stuff on the market at the moment. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on magic and mentalism products over the past years and to be honest if I had to have just one set of anything to become a performer this would be it!
Colin if you are reading this, how the hell did you do puppet master?
would you be realeasing the method anytime????
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
If you are not sure about buying this DVD then just go out and do it, personally for me it is one of my most valuable and useful dvds I have purchased. Personal highlights are Bookless test, Quite wordy, ANAAC, Lottery and double thought card projection! Every effect has valuable information and subtleties.

Colin is a master at using bold and simple methods but he covers this with his presentation which is funny and you are never bored watching him.

This should be the top of anyones list who hasnt bought it yet!

Keep up the good work Colin and a massive thank you for sharing your material!

Euan.
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Man, as if there wasn't enough on my wish list... This looks really good!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Thanks guys! So glad you're getting a lot from them!

I still have a final few copies available at http://www.colinmcleod.com

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
121 Posts

Profile of illusion123
I agree with Mind Guerrilla about what to do in the chair test, after the envelopes have been shuffled by the spectator and when handed back the envelope is in position number 1 and 4. The whole idea is that the spectator shuffles the envelopes so know one knows the order. If envelope number 2 is not in the 3rd position, then yes you could cut the pack or shuffle again so it is in the correct position. If you did that then to me intelligent audience members will realise you have placed the envelope in the position you wanted. The idea is that the envelopes are shuffled by the spectator and that's it. Too much time was spent on what happens if spectator chooses position 1 or 4. What to do if the envelope was not in position number 3 after shuffling was not mentioned. I know there are ways around this by forgetting about the 3rd position, and just going for the top or bottom envelope yourself. I just thought I would agree with Mind Guerilla on this one because I noticed this immediately. Also some explanation needs to be mentioned on where to find the performance of Albertest when the DVD's are sent out to customers. Having said all this the material on the DVD set is excellent and would recommend it to anyone interested in mentalism.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
There is a performance of albertest in the tabula mentis lecture which is also on the dvd's
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
I genuinely believe that this DVD is one of the best mentalism DVDs released in the last ten years. It is full of innovative new ideas as well as complete reworks of old ideas to make them work in the modern day performance arena.

The 'Bookless Test', 'Result' and the 'Lottery Routine' are amazing pieces for stage work. Then of course there is the wonderful 'Serial Prevaricator' that can be used for the perfect no props walk around effect.

Personally, though, the effects were not the highlight of this DVD for me. The really amazing things were the in between pieces, the subtle subtleties that were not mentioned but can still be picked up by watching how Colin handles the effects. This can include blocking, phrases and timing.

Knowing Colin well, I often get the chance to talk to him and be inspired by his unique thinking. Each time we talk he always has something of value to say, even if what he says simply sets into motion a new train of though within me. Unless you are lucky enough to know Colin, this DVD is as close as you will be able to get...for now.

I for one think that the DVD is sold way too affordably. The material contained is worth a helluva lot of money, and much more than is being asked.

Cheers,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
This DVD looks great, have to buy it.....
vinnymac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of vinnymac
Got this DVD set a few days ago and just finished watching it all. As the others have said, this is excellent. It is very well produced, and I love the format as well - for each effect, Colin and Mark first discuss the effect and its background, then the presentation of the effect is shown, and then the detailed explanation of the effect is given.

And of course, the effects themselves are what is to be expected from Colin McLeod... great thinking, great ideas, great impact. He has a way of combining various methods and principles to create brilliant routines. I can't imagine any mentalist not finding something on this DVD set that they would use. There is strong material for both stage and walk around.

Some of the effects on here were previously published in Colin's books, such as Contributions, which I own, so I knew some of the effects already, but even for those ones it was nice to see them presented by Colin and hear him discuss them with Mark.

Cheers all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Info Wanted: 'Opening Minds' DVD by Colin McLeod (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL