The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango flipper band replacement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tfmagic75
View Profile
New user
San Diego
2 Posts

Profile of tfmagic75
I needed replacement bands for my Tango flipper and bought some from an on-line dealer. They were 3/16" orthodontic bands and do not apply sufficient force to even hold up the weight of the flipper let alone snap it shut when released upside down.

I saw the mention of 1/8" bands on another post but have been unable to find them. Are these the proper ones and what is the source? I contacted Tango and got no response. Thanks.

Malcolm
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
I was told by a "gaffer" (this is not my experience) the best ones to use and that will allow the Flipper to lay opened is 3/8 pet grooming bands. Again I was told this by someone known for making gaffs. Good luck . Also Mr. Tango will get back to you ,he always does he may be busy.
tfmagic75
View Profile
New user
San Diego
2 Posts

Profile of tfmagic75
Thanks. Sometimes I want it to lay open and other times I want it to snap shut (which is the way mine came.) I guess one has to have several, each with the appropriate band. 3/8 orthodontic bands work O.K. when I want it to lay open and 5/16 are not tight enough to make it snap shut. I found a source for 1/4 and am expecting to have them today. I'm hoping they will work for that application.

By the way, for those who have been asking, the best adhesive to re-assemble the coin is Weldwood Contact Cement (not the water-base version) thinned a little with MEK. A very small amount on both surfaces allowed to dry for a few minutes before assembling makes a secure bond. It is instantly loosened with a little MEK for band change.

Malcolm
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
It really depends on the flipper coin you have.

I have a Tango half dollar flipper coin that works well with a 3/16" Medium force latex band.

I have a Tango half dollar flipper coin that works well with a 1/2" Medium force latex band.

You need to pay attention to the "force" of the band. Also, it is important that they are "latex" bands.

Once you find out what bands work well with your coin, do as I did. I actually wrote the size of the band on the inside of my flipper coin with a Sharpie pen.
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Motor City thanks for the excellent "pointers" especially writing down on the inside of the flipper ! Its one of those "why didn't I think of that " ideas .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango flipper band replacement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL