The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Lifespan of soft puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robholland
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of robholland
Hi guys,

My name is Robert and I am from Holland. I am a new member.
I have a lot of softpuppets from Pavlov / Wanlu / Axtell and I was wondering what the lifespan of these puppets is. And is the lifespan of foam puppets like Pavlovs longer than Latex puppets?

Does anyone here has experience using softpuppets for many years?

Thanks for your answers!

(and sorry for my bad english Smile
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Hi Robert..

I have used soft puppets for the span of my performing career (about 32 years) and they really are pretty durable. After about 7-8 years I send my soft puppets back to Mary Ann Taylor (MAT puppets) and she opens up the head and repacks new foam rubber in the head area as this material seems to break down after a while. I also recommend keeping the puppets out of the sunlight and heat when you are not using them as that will speed up the deterioration. I also use Axtell puppets and would you believe I am using a turkey puppet this year that I used about 20-25 years ago? I keep it stored correctly and the mouth didn't crack (it's latex so you have to put some conditioning material on the mouth to keep it pliable) but they should last for a dozen years with care.

The secret is in taking care of your soft sculptered friends. They'll last!

Mark Wade
robholland
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of robholland
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer!
Do you know if the Pavlov puppets are from the same material as the MAT puppets?
And do you think the latex material has a longer lifespan than the foam material?

Thanks,

Robert
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
The life of a latex puppet really depends on how you use it. I have had some of my Axtell's for over 10 years and they are fine some that I use more often have broken down. Also if you make lots of exaggerated movements you will wear out the puppet faster. Steve Axtell can supply you with a new head if you ever need one.
I hope my new custom soft dragon will last 10 years before I have to have him reworked.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Hi Robert,

I'm not all that familiar with Pavlov puppets (although I know I'd like to get one at some point..), but from what I have gathered they are very similiar , material-wise, to MAT puppets. So I guess the rule of thumb would be the same for them as for MAT puppets.

I have had latex puppets last a long time, like Colin. I have a turkey puppet that is probably 20 plus years old. I stored him in a cool, dark place (that sounds sinister!) and th material has held up pretty well.

Good care makes a huge difference!

Mark

Mark Wade
kidshowvent.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Lifespan of soft puppets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL