The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What do your doves eat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have a pair of Silky doves, which are excellent for magic because they cannot take off and fly. I use finch seed, supplemented with boiled egg, mixed veggies, and a touch of flax seed. I tried dove mix, but they leave so much uneaten. When they are moulting, I add vitamins to support their immune system. They get sunlight and fresh water daily.

What do you feed your doves?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Autumn,

My doves like milo best but they also get a commercial Game Bird Breeder (not chicken feed.) Sometimes they get a little cracked corn. For some unknown reason my dove don't like wheat.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Remember that doves are strictly seed eaters and don't eat insects like some fowl will.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In a pinch, mine will eat wild bird for they like parakeet mix. Like Autumn's birds, they leave a lot uneaten. The best mix I've found for my birds is Dove mix I found in the pet store. Not all stores carry it. They love that stuff. A 25 lb bag costs me about $20 but it last a long time because there's very little waste. I put a millet strip in the cage twice a week for a snack and they go wild.

Another seed they like for a snack is song bird food. It smells like licorice and they never waste any of it.
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Arg, Bob. Don't mention insects...Dave will start in with his mealworm stories! Maybe Dave won't see this post!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
Purina makes a 'dove' mix, somewhat like a small pellet and is well balanced. I fed my 14 doves this for many years without a one becoming ill. It comes in a 25lb. bag. An excellent treat is to mix their favorite seed with a small amount of peanutbutter. Roll into a small ball. They love it. The peanutbutter has the oil that will keep the plumage in good condition.
And YES... let them eat mealworms!!!
Magically,

Chris Rochow
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I read that Finch seed was not good for doves, as the sharp seeds can damage there insides. So when I had doves I chose the safer route.

My birds loved hulled sunflower seeds as well as millet. Don't forget to crush the egg shell for another form of grit and vitamins.

Get some worms in the yard, they like them as well. All the books say Meal Worms, but I never was able to find a worm called Meal Worm.

Good grit is the most important part of a doves diet. Being they are soft billed birds, they have to eat the seeds whole.

Fresh water daily is also most important. Clean their cage at least once a week as they eat their poop as well for vitamins.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Well I have tried much of what you have all suggested and hate it all.
too much work and too much mess

I switched to racing piegon food about 4 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

NO mess
No problems

dirt cheap and great for the doves
the pellet delivers all the nutrients they need.

no more picking through and finding they kicked out tons of food th at goes to waste.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 23:34, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Arg, Bob. Don't mention insects...Dave will start in with his mealworm stories! Maybe Dave won't see this post!

Too late. I saw the post and started salivating but just for you Autumn, I won't talk about them here. Smile
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

You all torture me with thoughts of mealworms! AAAAaaaaaaargh!
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-10-22 01:43, wmhegbli wrote:
Get some worms in the yard, they like them as well. All the books say Meal Worms, but I never was able to find a worm called Meal Worm.

Wmhegbli, your suggestions are all great and I will check out the finch seed warning! Don't want to hurt my doves innards. I found out something interesting about earthworms. You will never believe this but earthworms a parasite called Syngamus trachea, along with parasitic nematodes and other gnarly things. So I do not suggest you feed earthworms to doves. I have no idea about internal parasites within the [shiver-shiver-in-revulsion] mealworms. Ack.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:

Bill, the meal worm is the larva of a mealworm beattle. As they grow, they go through stages ending up as a beetle. They are typically about 2.5 cm in length and at maturity as a beetle, they are 1/5" long.

Autumn, I know you can't wait to read more about mealworms but they are used quite often by breeders and have no ill effects on doves. And in case you are interested, they can be mailed and are available through the internet.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I don't like the smell, dust, looks or price of commercially prepared feeds for doves. But we use it. Fortunately, I don't have to eat it. Most of my doves are about 20 years old. Apparently, that feed is a very slow way to kill them.

It does have things in it I can't spell. But they must survive it just fine. I do cheat and give them milo and even a fist of sand every now and then. In emergency on the road I have even fed them unpopped popcorn. (Stage lights must not be hot enough to make it pop!)

Actually, I do trust most of the commercial feed companies. The crumbles make more sense to me than the pellets for size. Perhaps they do know what they are doing. I know that I have never been a dove. (Bob Little HAS!) Where are his comments?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Dave, worms are for fish. LOL! (Actually protein is protein. Most goes undigested.) Come see me and we'll fish for a while and then go get a steak!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I use them all the time for trout fishing. Here's a bit of an article about meal worms.

Quote:
Mealworms are typically used as a food source for reptile, fish, and avian pets. They are also provided to wild birds in bird feeders, particularly during the nesting season when birds are raising their young and appreciate a ready food supply. Mealworms are high in protein, which makes them especially useful as a food source. They are also commonly used for fishing bait.
Where the magic begins
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Millet spray is awesome and for all Birds! all my birds love it they eat it like crazy! I give my birds 1 sprig for the large birds and half for the smaller birds 1x daily as a treat! and it comes in different flavors! the moment I tear the bag open they start their cute little antics alerting me that they know and want it bad! its funny to watch!

My birds get a small plate of cut up fruits and vegies daily they also love the hard boiled egg and shell! the egg shell has the calcium in that most of my birds need!
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
How lucky we are that the Internet makes pigeon food available so much more easily. Back in the day when I started in Dove Magic, wild bird seed was pretty much the only thing that was easily obtainable. And as others have noted, it makes quite a mess.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When regualar dove seed doubled in price at my pet shops, I looked around for a substitute. I found, that grocery stores sell a product made by Hartz called Bonanza parakeet diet.

I get a 5 lb bag for $7.99 and it lasts my 10 birds about 2 weeks. We all know that doves tend to toss out the seeds they don't want and that creates a mess. My doves seem to like everything in this mix and there is almost no mess. They eat it all.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What do your doves eat? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL