The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc Hilford's 3 Card Canasta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Um...and now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Look, I enjoy a civil ethics debate as much as the next guy but can we get this back on topic?

Perhaps it was my fault for praising Docc's brilliant copy writing but...

Has anyone had any experience working with this effect? If so, how has the experience been for you and your audience?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ordered mine last night...so in a week or so I should get my grubby mitts on it...

all hail the remarkable man...
I've asked to be banned
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Docc is one of the most competent performer's I've ever witnessed...

I whole heartedly believe Docc could take anything and turn it into a truly entertaining miracle! Canasta's routine was excellent so I'm sure this will be even better!

My only wish is that Docc would put out more footage of his performances. Not for anyone to steal his material, lines, ideas... but so we could all be properly entertained by a Mentalist! I've never laughed so much as when Docc closed the show at MindVention. He is a brilliant performer!

Unlike a lot of other guys who put stuff out into print which seems like a pipe dream, EVERYTHING Docc puts out he can perform perfectly.

I'm a huge fan and supporter of Docc's material and while I agree that most magic is often over hyped, I honestly believe Docc delivers with everything he states!

Docc's copy writing is brilliant and so is what you're getting, so it's a win win!

Rock on!
Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Colin,

Docc was indeed on point at Mindvention...so *** good!

You weren't too shabby yourself!

Nathan
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
I received this effect directly from Docc and absolutely love it. His "never fail" solution to this Canasta effect is something I will be performing often. Everything is as advertised.

Mike
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I had a chance to examine mine & I'm lovin' it!

I may have figured most of it out but the sublteties are things of beauty. As I'm getting older, I'm realizing that these are the true gems of mentalism.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 08:18, Marqus wrote:
I may have figured most of it out but the sublteties are things of beauty. ... I'm realizing that these are the true gems of mentalism.

Yes, you say it. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
On 2010-11-04 14:14, Jheff wrote:
As to the subject of this thread, I've not seen it yet. But when Murphy's gets it, I do plan on getting one and commenting on it on my site.

-- Jheff
http://www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com

Jheff,
Let us know when you get this and the review is up on your site.

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
I'm glad you like the effect and method of 3 Card Canasta.

With the risk of getting off topic again,
I really must clarify that magic advertising is not like any other.
For the past 150 years it's been based on EFFECT not METHOD.
There is no explanation of details in performance, only EFFECT.
"A Ball Disappears" is description enough for a magic ad.
Anything more than the basic EFFECT within the ad is a bonus.
"The Magician's Sleeves Are Rolled Up" is a bonus.
Go through an older catalogue of magic and read the ads.

Magic advertising isn't about making certain that a trick "suits" an amateur performer.
Nor is about deceiving the magic buying public.
It's about giving enough of the EFFECT that the trick is described, but MAINTAINS THE SECRET!
Integrity in maintaining the SECRET is something almost completely gone in magic and mentalism.
Everything seems to be about the latest gimmick or ploy,
and many feel they must discard the secret so the new method can be compared to last week's gimmick.

There is not much chatter in the community about the subtle handling methods (save a number of people here).

When one gives a complete presentation in their ad,
it doesn't take a lot to apply simple methodology to fill in the blanks.
And that's what we love to do. Try to figure out a method from the ad description.
As a younger man I loved spending time thinking about an item before I ordered it.
That is precisely how I write copy. To entice and tease and play with the minds of intelligent mentalists.
Magic ads are not PSICOP reports to Randi. They're fun and seductive peeks at a new trick.

In the twenty years of creating, PERFORMING and selling mentalism I've certainly seen a few who claim things like being able to control a person's choices with the way a business card is held, only to find it's a pipe dream that's never been performed. There have been and always will be liars and thieves among us. But some of us are here for life.

And as a point of order, most don't care much about "sales" on this site. The total revenue amounts to the equivalent of a lunch for two on South Beach. (Of course, it IS a good lunch.) This trick was sold in advance to Murphy's Magic. It was sold before it was announced for release.
Those who take advantage of the offer simply save money.

Again, I'm happy those who have it, and therefore know what they're talking about, are pleased with it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Docc has said it like it is.

Bob
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Whenever there's a bar fight brewing, Bob and I stand back-to-back.

At Mindvention 2010 will for ever be known as the "Fear and Loathing" weekend.
As my attorney, he advised me to drink heavily!

***ed bats!!!.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
If Docc has said it like it is , then I disagree with several points raised but not all.

Certainly agree that an advertisment should not give away the secret or the presentation.

Andy
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I recently got this from Docc as well he offers excellent customer service, he will assist you via email if you have questions. He has a full schedule so some patience is needed not more than 5-7 days if he is traveling.

If performed as mentioned all will seem to be as wonderful as described, it is possible to customize and change outcome with some creative thinking on performers part. From the spectators viewpoint it is a miracle.
I have enjoyed 90% of what Docc has put out, the other 10% doesn't fit me or is a area of boldness I need to work on, don't try to perform the same as Docc, there is only one and that is probably a good thing 2 would be a handful.

If you don't believe don't buy it please don't believe less people to know the better. Fortunately more than half the members on the Café are bitter magic collectors and rarely perform, they just seek the methods.

I challenge us all to perform for strangers at least 2 times a week. Practice the new or classic effect that know one does anymore, make it your own. Be bold and create miracles, I will accept this challenge I hope most of you do as well.

Magic isn't about fooling the spectators it is about fooling yourself, and believing in the magic. I can watch a fellow magician perform the HotRod paddle move and be amazed by the handling. That is real magic

Tim Allen

Be exceptional!!!
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 15:06, tpratt38 wrote:

Magic isn't about fooling the spectators it is about fooling yourself, and believing in the magic.

Great quote.

JD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc Hilford's 3 Card Canasta (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL