The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ninja Ring question - Crash Link (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings!

Question on the Crash Link found within the Ninja Ring Route.

Shoot has you hold the ring between thumb and pinky.

My issue is when I hold it like that, it really works my wrist. So much that after practicing, it is sore.

I am wondering if you have found a similar problem, and how do you either adjust the grip for yourself. Or what alternative grip do you use?

Thanks!

RevJohn
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I never had much of an issue with it. One could assume that after prolonged rehearsal, that you'd eventually build up your wrist muscles and it wouldn't hurt. Just keep at it...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
They could say the same thing about typing...

and I know folks that end up having surgery.

Not a big fan of No Pain, No Gain theory.

It might be that I just have to work on it, but I have been doing this for a while, and anytime I try to hold it in Shoot's suggested grip, it, well hurts.

And the grip I am using (the one he suggests not to use) doesn't work well (as per his own reasoning).

Will play around with it some more, but thought I would check here.

John
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear RevJohn,

Whenever I have these kinds of issues (and they come up a lot) I back off of the particular move and practice something else. I just do a little of the problem move each day and I generally build up the strength or whatever over time. It might be that you are gripping to hard. Often when I have this kind of problem it is because I'm spending my energy fighting my own muscles.

I did have similar problems with Ninja Rings myself. I just held them the old way for most of the practice and the hard way for a little each day. Now that way of holding the ring comes very naturally, so there is hope. I had more trouble with "biting" the heel of my right hand repeatedly which I also had to give a rest.

If you don't back off, you might be forced to back off for a week or worse. A little practice every day is better than no practice.

On the other hand, I have completely abandoned some moves in Magic that just wouldn't improve for me that didn't bother anyone else .

Your hands, wrists and joints have to last you so you have to cater to them a little.

Good luck, and check in in a few weeks and let us know how it turns out.

- Mary Mowder
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think you're probably gripping the rings to hard.
Relax your hands. Exhale. And a nice smooth link.

The hand that holds the k can girp the ring with just the thumb and forefinger.
The rest of the hand sort of comes along for the ride. that provides a nice pivot point for what's needed.

I think all you need to do is relax your grip and you'll be a rock star..
... like Mary Smile

p.s. you can also use a standard grip. for part of my routine I have a spectator hold one side of the ring, I hold the other side of the ring and we both link the rings together "on the count of 3". don't make it more difficult than it is.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for your suggestions. I will take a look and see how tight I am holding them.

Good stuff.

John
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Worked on it tonight, and just loosing the grip helped all around. Made the move easier, made my wrist less sore (as in, it wasn't sore).

Didn't realize that I had a death grip on it, but alas.

Appreciate the suggestions.

John
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
YEA!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Also... Watch Shoot...

It's just a tap really, not a crash.

If you can get it where you just go 'tap!' and it's linked, it look amazing.

Randi
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I love when he links by just a slight push... gorgeous!

John
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
It's amazing, I always though of the crash link as being a very modern looking slight. I was suprised to find out that it was taught to Dai Vernon by Han Ping Chien. Rock on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ninja Ring question - Crash Link (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL