The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Finding Stones: What do you guys think of this effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I am thinking of releasing an effect I created called 'The Finding Stones', a original bizarre effect I created myself. I would like to hear your opinions.

This is the effect:

The magician takes out a 5 tarot cards and lays them face up on the table.
He askes the spectator to just think of one of them, then turn them facedown and mix their positions on the table. The magician then starts to tell the spectator a story of how in ancient times people would actually rely on magic in their day to day lives, say if they lost something.
People would call a shaman/magician to their house and he would use magical 'finding stones'. The shaman/magician would take a finding stone hold it in his hand and say the name of the object to be found. The stone would be thrown on the floor and would roll to the place the objct was.
The magician then removes a leather pouch from his pocket which he shows to contain a few of these finding stones, small carved rocks with symbols on them. The spectator chooses one and holds it in their hand, you hand them a small piece of paper with an incantation on it. They repeat the incantation and place the stone on the table the stone then begins to move by itself rolling around the table, until it comes to rest on one card. the spectator is asked to turn over this card....It is their thought-of card.

Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
cogliostro
View Profile
New user
Tampa
99 Posts

Profile of cogliostro
Honestly speaking, it sounds devastating. The magician doesn't handle or touch any of the props once they've been given over to the spectator.

- Rob
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
Sir T does an effect like this based on an effect in Haunted Magick. Great minds must think a like. Does you effect need a shim or WR/IR?

Rest
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Strrrrrrrong if presented right.

Go for it!

/bamba
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Sounds great!

I'd get it!

-Zero G
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
To be honest although I have been doing magic for about 12 years, I only got into Bizarre magic the last year or so, and have next to nothing to use for reference. I have yet to build up my bizarre library (I am buying Capricorn Tales next week). That is why I posted my idea here.
John Kennedy's 'Kinetic Crystal' gave me the basic inspiration, for a animated stone effect. But this is not really about the stones moving and more about the spectator doing the magic and a strong story.

For a free routine of mine called 'Remembering Stones', a collaboration between me Caleb Strange, click the link below.

Remembering Stones

Smile

Restlessplots, if you could PM me and expand on the Sir T effect. As I would not want to release something too similar to another effect out there, there is too much of that already! Mine would not really be worth publishing in a book as you need to manufacture various gimmicks.

Smile

Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Gee, based on the description, I came up with a method where this WOULD be repeatable, but don't want to tip it in case it might start a guessing game. Smile

This is an effect my late mentor and friend Tony Andruzzi would have loved. Brilliant thinking. VERY impressive and just the kind of thing a REAL magician would be expected to be able to do.

Congrats on what may be a classic!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
From what restlessplots told me my effect is different both in method and presentation.

I don't' want this to turn into a guessing game of methods, I expect better from you bizarre guys, for you it should be all about the impact of the effect.

Anyway here is a few more details:

Yes it is repeatable (but I think it is stronger to just do it the once.)

No there is no force as in the Sir T effect, the card is freely thought of.

Everything is examinable, the whole effect basically happens in the spectator's head and hands.

No shims.

Thanks for the kind words mstrhypno, that is exactly what I was after something like real magic.

Smile

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I really like the idea! It is super strong! Hope it's affordable for a working guy like me.
Dave Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Finding Stones: What do you guys think of this effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL