The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shriek of the mutilated by John Bannon question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
For those who do the effect,what brand of cigarette papers do you use?

I had found a brand years ago that worked great(but can't recall what kind now?)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand/size to use?

Thanks,
Mike
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Really tough here, but I have some that may work for you.

http://www.justforhim.com/catalog/index.......s_id=657

These are flat.

If you want to work for it bit you can try:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/28058321386......2_304662

But these are folded in half so it is more work to set up. The Top's are good, but are 'adhered" at the end, so you have to work with it.

I looked at about 20 brands and these were the best I could find. Couldn't find the brand he used 20 years ago.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanks for the help!

I don't think the plain EZ Widers Bannon originally recommended are still available. I would really prefer papers without the adhesive(having the restored paper have adhesive on it is too much of a discrepancy for me).

I found the papers I used to use-
http://www.1percent.com/club-modiano-rolling-papers.html

But they have been discontinued in the states.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I"ve used Joker brand....but I believe they are adhesive also. they did work for me however
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thank you Patrick Smile

Mike
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Hi:
Shriek of the mutilated is John Bannon's name for an effect sold for many years before by John Paterson a Vancouver Canada magician.
james1a
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
I personally use the job 1.5 papers when I do this effect. You can buy a 20 pack online for pretty cheap and they get the job done. These papers do have adhesive but are still pretty common papers that people may have with them.

Always in magic

-Bobby Smile
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Michael,

I use Rizla+ king size. They have adhesive on them but I have never had any body comment on the lack of adhesive of the torn up pieces. I just take the paper out of the packet and tear it up.

I don't know whether you have Rizla in the States as I live in the UK.

All the best

Michael J
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Here's a variation of this effect. Have a card "selected" Take out a square of fla** paper. Tear it up as per original routine and impale it. Set fire to it. You are left with a restored piece that when opened now shows a miniature picture of the selected card.I'm sure those of you familiar with the effect can work out the method. There is a discrepency in the look of the paper but this is never noticed as the original piece of fp is never studied long enough.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Topchange52,

Great idea. Will give it a try.
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 23:32, james1a wrote:
Hi:
Shriek of the mutilated is John Bannon's name for an effect sold for many years before by John Paterson a Vancouver Canada magician.
james1a

Hello I was 15 almost 16 years old when I came up with this, and showed it to JP at a magic shop,in Vancouver. He then went on to claim it was his. I couldn't do much then, except call him a rat *&%^. But now that I'm putting out my pet effects, this is going in my close up DVD coming out in the fall, and eventually the book that will come out,in a few years will all my effects, & will have all the original bits of Biz. Just keeping the record straight. I used this nightly in a club called "Richards on Richards" in Vancouver. I was the house close up guy for quite a while. Salary plus tips. Ahhh those wee the days.

BTW I think I put it in the IMS DVD were I showed some closeup.

Regards, Dimmare
manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of manofcards
What was the name of the effect that John Paterson published? I remember working through this in John's book when I was 15 or 16.
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Quote:
On 2011-04-30 15:45, manofcards wrote:
What was the name of the effect that John Paterson published? I remember working through this in John's book when I was 15 or 16.

I don't remember as I was really poed . Mickey Hades was selling it and probably still is , you can find out from them I'm sure. Dimmare
jonpat
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jonpat
I am John Paterson - the "rat *&%^" that James Dimmer claims stole his idea. Here are the facts.
In 1978 I was hanging around the Magic Castle a lot - we performed there often in those days. We had recently seen Mike Skinner do a terrific T&R cigarette paper with multiple tears in a lecture and had learned his methods. One day I was visiting some friends and there was a package of rolling papers on the coffee table (there were often papers on tables in those days) and I realized the paper texture was very similar to the flash paper I was using in my show at the time. From there, the trick was obvious. I came up with the idea - the handling - the best papers to use - and made the trick my own.
Some time later I published the trick through Micky Hades International - I was the manager of the Vancouver magic shop. I taught James that trick for his gig at Richards on Richards at the counter in our Vancouver shop. I remember the day very well.
Some time later I saw James do a show in the close-up room at the Magic Castle. He asked if anyone had any rolling papers for his next trick. I knew where he was going, and had a loaded gimmicked package of papers in my pocket which I almost tossed on the table for him to use. Doing the trick with borrowed papers would have raised some eyebrows. But I hesitated - not wanting to out myself as a smoker in public. It would have been a great opportunity to give a fellow magician a rare gift and I've always regretted that I didn't do that. I don't think I regret it any more.
James - you and I both know the truth. So does Micky Hades - so does Steve Minch - so do countles others in Canada and LA who have known me all this time.
For anyone else who would like anymore details about the Torn and Restored Cigarette Paper - as it was originally called when I published it, I would be glad to converse. I have no desire for credit, glory, profit or notoriety - I only wanted to set the record straight after seeing what had been said about me.
I'm tickled you like my trick.
James - I'm also tickled that you like my trick enough to claim it as your own - do as you must - we both know the truth.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 22:24, thelestat wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 23:32, james1a wrote:
Hi:
james1a

Hello I was 15 almost 16 years old when I came up with this, and showed it to JP at a magic shop,in Vancouver. He then went on to claim it was his. I couldn't do much then, except call him a rat *&%^. But now that I'm putting out my pet effects, this is going in my close up DVD coming out in the fall, and eventually the book that will come out,in a few years will all my effects, & will have all the original bits of Biz. Just keeping the record straight. I used this nightly in a club called "Richards on Richards" in Vancouver. I was the house close up guy for quite a while. Salary plus tips. Ahhh those wee the days.

BTW I think I put it in the IMS DVD were I showed some closeup.

Regards, Dimmare

Being that smoking is out, and that the only ones who carry these papers anymore are pretty much "pot-heads" (at least in the mind of the public) and the fact this has been out in Bannon's Book for years, why bother? Oh, and then there is the other guy you call a rat...
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I believe it was Diamond Jim Taylor who I saw perform this effect with the needle from needle thru balloon. He used the paper that department stores use to wrap dress shirts before they are boxed...the texture of this paper is very close to the special type used in this effect.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Zig-Zag 'whites'

70mm

Almost any liquor store or 7-11 in CA should have them.

~Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Shriek of the mutilated by John Bannon question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL