The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Small CNC routers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
George, the unit some of the folks here are talking about is also marketed by Sears under the Craftsman brand. I suggest you go the your friendly Sears store and check it out.
The store in my area will give you a demo, I found the unit to be pretty good.
Now here is the big question you must ask yourself... What do you expect the machine to do and at what quality?
This unit will give you pretty good results for the cost but it is by no means a heavy duty professional machine. It is for the hobbiest and will produce that quality of work at a hobbiest price.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, so, in my continuing effort to educate myself on this... Smile about how long does it take to carve a piece about a foot square? Say a Celtic knot with some detail around it? Roughly half an hour? An hour? Depends on the wood and the speed and the depth?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 12:47, jay leslie wrote:
I made these pages to show what's involved in an average project, I've had my machines several years.
http://www.miraclemagiccompany.com/pages......del.html

Thanks much, Jay. I just went back and found this. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
George,
It takes about an hour to do a normal quality 4" Celtic knot inlay. However, a high quality set of (say, three) detailed leaves or shells will take two hours or more. It's not a big deal though, since I do other things while its carving. After my first project, I stopped just standing there watching it. lol. Obviously, if this time will be longer if you don't change the bit out when it is ready.
It depends on the depth and detail, not the wood species and not really the overall size. I can do a six foot by 1 foot sign in an hour with just lettering or take three hours with a one foot square detailed relief of the Last Supper.
You can pick the quality in several categories (draft, normal, high or best). Each takes a bit longer than the other.
Randy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks, Randy. Sounds like the bits need to be replaced often?
www.georgefledo.net

Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Randy is referring to the common practice of "roughing out" your work with a larger bit - producing more coarse results - and then reducing bit size (diameter) to accommodate the increasingly finer details of your project. Typically, if you try to carve anything of even minimal size using only your finest detailing bit you'll grow a lot older before it's finished.

His reference to how this process can affect the time to produce a finished piece is pretty simple: if your machine does not have an automatic tool changer (and you're not paying strict attention) the machine can "dwell" forever until you wake up, change out the bit, and then command it to continue cutting.

This is just one of a thousand things you'll need to learn to become proficient with even the simplest CNC machine.

TW <---- still sincerely hopeful George takes the plunge and invests heavily into CNC
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks for the info, but I don't understand why you keep saying you hope I get heavily into CNC. I'm talking about one project, which may not even happen. I have no interest in starting a CNC shop. As it is, I'm leaning in the direction of finding a local job shop and seeing what they can do.
www.georgefledo.net

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
10 projects is the cut-off point. less then that and you'll spend 80 hours to make 30 dollars worth of 2D goods. 3D can take several hundred hours before your somewhat decent..

You have another option. hand carve the master, have it scanned then duplicated.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, ten projects, good point. Looks like a job shop for me. Thanks.
www.georgefledo.net

Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Thomas...I would hate to be on your bad side Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 02:11, Chance Wolf wrote:
Thomas...I would hate to be on your bad side Smile

Hard to imagine that happening.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
As long as an innocent question isn't asked, I suppose that's so. Otherwise, there is likely to be a condescending snark storm thinly veneered as a word to the wise.

George, best of luck with the project. I'm curious, if it's a one-off, wouldn't hand-carving suffice? Perhaps as a simplified version of what you have in mind?

Leland
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Leland,

Hand-carving is a possibility, except my skills at it are awful and it's not really something I want to learn how to do. I suppose I could look for a carver, but I suspect it would cost more than a job shop. I'll be re-visiting the project sometime next year.
www.georgefledo.net

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Small CNC routers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL