The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey you drunkards! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sounds like turkey.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Gobble gobble, have a wobble:

:stout:
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-11-27 20:18, jazzy snazzy wrote:
They're pulling 4LOCO off the shelves here. 14% alcohol & caffeine. It puts college kids in a coma.

Is that a bad thing?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 05:59, stoneunhinged wrote:

The only one I ever tasted which I liked is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schierker_Feuerstein It is red colored and has a spicy taste--something like eating cinnamon drops. But I highly doubt you can get it in the States. Ever heard of it Gaddy?

I see it is related to Artemisia / Wormwood based drinks. That just brought a question to my mind, how popular is Absinthe nowadays in Germany and / or parts of Europe you've been through?

It wouldn't surprise me were Schierker_Feuerstein actually available in the States. There is one liquor store near where my sister lives (in more or less rural PA) that is the size of a football field and at least appears to sell every alcohol based drink known to mankind.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 11:13, epoptika wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-27 20:18, jazzy snazzy wrote:
They're pulling 4LOCO off the shelves here. 14% alcohol & caffeine. It puts college kids in a coma.

Is that a bad thing?

That was a very clever ambiguous response of yours. Smile

Do you mean it might be a good thing that they are pulling it off the shelves? Or that college kids are slipping into comas?

I do know there was one forum user here who posted in another thread about how it was an outrage that the government was acting on these alcohol / caffeine drinks and banning them from sale. Another one of our liberties being stolen away, don't you know.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I once had three women from Germany at my bar who could not decide what they wanted to drink. When I jokingly suggested a round of Jagermeisters they said, "Eww, no! We only drink that for a bad stomach!". Jager, like the above mentioned Ramazotti ( a specific brand of Amaro liquer ) are both considered "digestifs" - something to be consumed after a meal to aid digestion. I enjoy both ( along with most herbal distillations. Try Chartreuse sometime. ) but do not drink them as shooters in order to get hammered.

Amaretto, while it tastes like almonds, is actually made from apricot pits if I remember correctly.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 11:22, balducci wrote:
[
I see it is related to Artemisia / Wormwood based drinks. That just brought a question to my mind, how popular is Absinthe nowadays in Germany and / or parts of Europe you've been through?

Absinthe went through a sort of revival a couple years back with the imported Czech stuff, but I think it sort of died out. People are more interested in the authentic absinthe, which is rather more expensive.

What's very interesting is that until I linked to the Wikipedia article, I had no idea that Schirker Feurstein even had wormword in it, which raises the question of why it has always been available and absinthe only until EU regulations changed. I'm way out of my knowledge base here, but it seems very contradictory to me. I'm gonna have to do some research. Any links to an authoritative "history of absinthe" laws?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 11:29, epoptika wrote:
Jager, like the above mentioned Ramazotti ( a specific brand of Amaro liquer ) are both considered "digestifs" - something to be consumed after a meal to aid digestion.

That's exactly correct, except for the point I mentioned above. One can get a four-pack of generic "digestives" for about a dollar or even less. That's 25 cents a shot. Just the right thing for people living on pennies collected in tin cups.

Kinda sad. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Amaretto, while it tastes like almonds, is actually made from apricot pits if I remember correctly.

"Amaretto is an Italian sweet almond-flavoured liqueur. It is made from a base of apricot or almond pits, sometimes both."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 11:39, balducci wrote:
Quote:

"Amaretto is an Italian sweet almond-flavoured liqueur. It is made from a base of apricot or almond pits, sometimes both."

Dang! I actually knew that (at least sometime in the past!), but failed in the memory department. Thanks for the correct info! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Speaking of Apricot pits. Aren't thy used for making arsnic too? or is that the peach pit?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Gaggermeister is licoricey.
Disaronno is liquid candy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-11-28 16:58, RS1963 wrote:
Speaking of Apricot pits. Aren't thy used for making arsnic too? or is that the peach pit?

Ricin comes from castor beans.

Bitter almonds and apricot pits both contain cyanide (heating destroys the cyanide, e.g., in almonds). Peach pits also contain cyanide, but apparently not nearly as much as these others.

Arsenic (I've read) is mined, but recovered mainly as a side product from the purification of copper. It also appears in some seafood.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I knew about the castor beans. I knew there was something about the pits of Peaches or apricots that my parents had always warned me about. It was the peach pit but it was cyanide they were worried about.

Peach pits contain a number of chemicals called “cyanogenetic glycosides”. These are not cyanide, but when processed in the human digestive system, cyanide is one of the resulting by-products.

One of these cyanogenetic glycosides is amygdalin, which is the same chemical that was once sold as a fraudulent cancer “cure”, under the names “laetrile” and “vitamin B-17”. The only way in which this substance was ever actually shown to have prevented anyone from dying of cancer was to cause them to die first from cyanide poisoning.

Read more: Is it true that peach pits contain cyanide? If so, is it found in any other fruits? |Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/24320#ixzz16cc9jFWf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey you drunkards! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL