The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Mr. Fuzzie in the Mall (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
You know I was thinking about this a while back until I talked to Mall management
on the price of having a cart, but over the weekend I saw a guy at the local
outlet mall working Mr. Fuzzie (thats what he called it). He also was "pitching"
these splat creatures...

I was curious how much he was charging so I had to ask; and he mentioned 12.00.
I was thinking to myself, "shoot, he probably has to charge that much to cover
the cost of that cart...". Plus, just around the corner you have the "ToysRUs"
outlet selling them for 4.00....

Not sure how that would work unless he is a really good pitchman...

What do you think?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
My own feeling is that anything over $100/day for a spot is very risky financially. At that price you are being partners with the owner, and who needs a partner? I also think $12 for a worm is way too much.

But I've never worked a mall, so what do I know? There are folks who do this and apparently are pretty successful. I'm sure the foot traffic would be good, at least on weekends, and you'd probably be able to pull some pretty nice tips very easily. But the math has to work out, otherwise I'd forget it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Malls today are way too risky.They want like $12,000 for this month till Christmas and some aslo want part of your gross over a certim amount above the high rent.Malls aren't that busy anymore even this month before Christmas.They have priced themselves out of the rental bussiness if you ask me.

Later,Don
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
My threshold for a spot is around $200 a day or 25% of gross sales. I only do a percentage deal if it is a really good spot and hard to get into.
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
IMHO.
I think you get what you pay for, crap location will allways be cheap, but very busy high footfall locations are worth paying extra for.

Steve
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have thought about doing percentage deals. But by my math, 20% is about as high as I could afford to go without raising my present prices.

With 10% of the price going to state sales tax and Federal income tax, and another 20% going to the wholesaler, and probably another 10-15% to cover insurance, travel costs, shipping and whatnot, I can't afford to give too much of the gross away.

However, I have never actually discussed or tried a percentage deal, so it's all speculative at this point. SETH
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I have spoken to the guys selling 'Mr. Fuzzy' at the mall once. They tried to demo to me and I said 'I have cases of them at home.' They were confused and asked if I sell them, and how much. The guy almost fell off his seat when I said $4. They were selling them for $15.

The packaging looks great but the type of packaging stinks for the product. When I sell them, I want kids to be walking around playing with the worm. These are plastic with heat sealed edges. I did contact Mr. Fuzzie to find out how much they cost, and you do have to sell them for $12 to make money.

As far as a percent deal, I will only do one that is 10%. I had a church wanting $10 plus 20% of your profits. If it was not a good event, I would just be burning through stock.
-Matt
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Sounds like Mr. Fuzzie is the only one making money in that setup. SETH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Mr. Fuzzie in the Mall (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL