The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Quick Explanation on Something (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 13:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
Rada -- your experience and mine have been completely different. I have never shipped anything larger than a box of CD's to Canada. I've been shipping to Canada for more than 20 years, and only began to have problems with customs after 9/11.

I don't have a problem filling out the customs forms. I've been doing that for a long time, too.

Your postal system works differently than ours does. I shipped an item to Canada yesterday. The quote at the post office "This is covered until it reaches the border. Then you are on your own." The main reason I chose to ship this item to Canada rather than have it picked up on our side of the border is that it is an item that I've had experience shipping before, and the recipient knows the problems that I have had shipping over the border.

When you say "Here is the hassle for you...filling out the extra slip and maybe having to go to the post office, that's all," then you really don't know what you are talking about. Either you think I am lying, which is an insult, or you think I'm too lazy to go to the post office, which is a bigger insult, or you have completely misread and misunderstood my answers to your basically accusatory post. It's not about filling out the extra slip. It's not about going to the post office. It's not even about standing in line at the post office for 30 minutes to an hour to ship the package. It's about whether you get it in a timely fashion.

I started out selling music books. There was no problem at all until 9/11. Then suddenly, the whole shipping problem became a nightmare. Any packages that weighed more than a certain amount immediately became suspect. I never had a problem shipping to Germany, the UK, Australia or any countries other than Canada or Mexico. The problem in Mexico was basically that their shipping system is completely messed up.

I instituted the following system, which worked fine for the people who wanted my material. If you live near the border, or if you plan to travel in the US, let me have a US address close to the border and I'll ship to that address.

Finally, your insulting, naive, uninformed posts aside, your figure that 98% of the time, people will pay the extra postage is absolute horsepuckey. I've had customers ask me to ship props by media mail so it is cheaper, I've had customers ask me to ship items as gifts, so there are no customs fees, and I've had them ask me to undervalue the items shipped to cut the amount of the fees. Most of the time, there are no customs fees or the fees are very low. But some people will do anything to save a few cents. Over the past few years, I have shipped HUNDREDS of packages. The only ones I have EVER had problems with were the ones that went to Canada.

I never had a problem with shipments to Europe or Australia. And it's just as big a "hassle" as you call it to ship to Europe as it is to ship to Canada.

@ Gordyboy -- Even with NAFTA, there are some items that are very difficult to ship from the US to Canada. Most of the time, this has to do with protected brand names, particularly in the field of musical instruments. Sometimes, the amount of duty on instruments is in the high double digits. I'm referring to percentages, not to dollar amounts.

Bill, I've shipped things to and from the states...also sent things home to Canada when I was in the USA...never had anyone say to me insurance stops at the border. Not saying you are lying, but telling you that its not the case from my experience. And, when I made a claim, it was USPS/Canada Post (who work together BTW on cross border shipments) who processed it for me, with very little hassle. The two main post offices (Canada Post and USPS) do work together on cross border shipments of certain items.

But, by the sounds of it a lot of people are lazy - maybe not you per say, but a lot of people. I know first hand its not nearly as bad as you make it out to be and YES, I do know what I'm talking about. Hey, maybe you've had bad experiences...I've had a few bad ones sending overseas, it happens because the mail system isn't perfect anywhere, and that includes the USA. But if the timing is an issue, pay a few extra bucks and get a guaranteed delivery, or express delivery. I've never said anything about the speed of mail from USA to CANADA or vice versa...obviously customs is unpredictable BOTH WAYS, but if its a huge issue, send it a faster method. Also, you're in Texas I believe, a very southern part of the USA vs Canada, obviously its going to take a bit longer than say Virginia...

As for Canadians wanting you to pay the shipping, that's just people (not Canadians in general) being cheap. I've had Canadians, Euros, Japanese, AMERICANS all want free shipping, its just natural to try to get the best deal...but don't say its just us LOL.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I just shipped something to Portugal. From New Orleans, LA, USA.
I used a flat rate small international priority box. I used paypal online postage. It had me fill out the custom form online and printed it out to put on the box. I still stood in line at the Post Office to make sure it was correct. The clerk called over a supervisor, and he said everything was good to go.
So it seems if I do the customs form online and pay the postage online, I can just drop off the package.
I mailed it Monday, supposed to be 6 days, I'm waiting to hear when it gets there.

I'll ship to Canada, but I need extra for postage, as Canada is a long way from New Orleans.

Bill: UPS messes up in the USA also. In the 90's I ordered Apple balloons from TMyers on a Tuesday. I ordered COD OVERNIGHT. All this cost over $20 for a $3 bag of balloons. I had a gig for Apple computer on Sat.
The balloons never came. Then Monday, they show up. I told them why I refused them. They attempted delivery 2 more times, and then sent it back.
It was not until years later I found out TMyers had to pay the COD fee, and now you cannot get things COD from them. This was before the communication age. If I knew what I knew now, I should have/would have called TMyers and made them get a refund form UPS. I've had UPS sit on my packages many times. I always try to choose USPS over UPS, when possible.

ACE
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
"You couldn't be further from the truth, Tom. I know some people think we operate on an 18 hour clock and live in igloo's, ... Maybe you had one or two bad experiences..."

I don't. I love Canada...it's like the States were 50 years ago. Polite, clean, beautiful...loved touring there years ago, it was the highlight of my year, each year. The bookstores in London are unmatched in the states...

But every time things are sent from there to here, it takes forever. Weeks or more.

I ship there whenever I need without hesitation. Any extra effort, no problem.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
PS Tom, your comments made me laugh my *** off.
Farmed out to the Amish...lol, that's funny!
Just a side note, Canada Post has now upgraded their service levels when shipping to the USA at no extra charge, I know it hard to believe but its true.

About a month ago the change took place and the parcels are arrive much faster now.

It used to be:
Expidited to USA - 6-10 business days
Express to the USA - 3-5 business days

Now it is:
Expidited to USA - 4-5 Business days Guranteed
Express to the USA - 3 business days Guranteed

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Now THAT'S nice to hear! Another niggling problem in my life has been cured! Frabjous day. Thanks for the heads-up.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I have found with FedEx and UPS there is a little more paperwork. USPS is much easier. I have the Customs Form filled out before I get to the Post Office. It takes no longer if I were to send a package across town.

Nick
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 13:50, Peter Loughran wrote:
Shipping my products to the USA really takes no extra time than shipping within my own Country of Canada, just as long as the item is small enough to be accepted by Canada Post/ USPS. However shipping large illusions that weigh hundreds of pounds and worth thousands of dollars, is a much differnt story, and there is a ton of paper work and red tape, that my company must take care of for our customers. You are dealing with comercial invoices, waybills, customs doccuments, B-13 forms, Brokers, etc etc. But we do all this to make it an easy transaction for our customers, I could see people complaining about this...lol as I complain to myself about it all the time...lol, but that's just part of the business. But shipping small stuff, really takes no more time at all then sending with in my own country, so Im confused why there are issues people have. Perhaps it is harder for USA customers to ship to Canada, then vice versa but I find that hard to believe, we seem to have a much more lenient customs than USA post 911. I have stuff shipped to me all the time from some of my business clients/partners, like Sean Bogunia, Hocus Pocus, Steve Brooks, Fantasio, etc, and they tell me its a peice of cake for them.

Pete, I agree the shipping of illusions, its a pain...but any small items are a piece of cake, regardless where you are sending to and from, especially in North America.

And Peter, shipping from USA to Canada is pretty much the same, I've done it several times. I just did it from Hawaii and California on my Honeymoon back to Eastern Canada, no problem at all. They made it home before I came back.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

I know I was just as shocked as you Tom. And for no extra money. From what I was told they have been losing business because of private courier companies like UPS are competeing with their rates but offering faster service and more reliable service, so they had to do something. Its about time! Recession can sometimes help in other ways, such as forcing monopolzing companies to Improve their service!

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Rada, yep that's what everyone tells me, its the same.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 13:58, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

I don't. I love Canada...it's like the States were 50 years ago. Polite, clean, beautiful...loved touring there years ago, it was the highlight of my year, each year. The bookstores in London are unmatched in the states...

50 years ago? We're not pleasantville. We have everything you have...EVERYTHING. Anyways, if you'll excuse me I have to go watch my Black and White 13" television with 6 channels now, while sleeping in my igloo. LOLOL.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Yes Canada and the USA are virtually identical in absolutely every way, Both in technology, and life style. The only difference is that the USA has a much bigger military, and protects ours...lol, and we pay more taxes and have free health care, but other than that, its basically just one big Country with a line drawn down the middle. There is no difference at all. But I don't think that's what Tom was implying though.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 14:11, Peter Loughran wrote:
Yes Canada and the USA are virtually identical in absolutely every way, Both in technology, and life style. The only difference is that the USA has a much bigger military, and protects ours...lol, and we pay more taxes and have free health care, but other than that, its basically just one big Country with a line drawn down the middle. There is no difference at all. But I don't think that's what Tom was implying though.

Yes, I agree completely. And I don't think Tom was implying that, but thought my joke about the igloo's and TV was an accurate assessment about how some people tend to think or have thought before being made aware.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
As a dealer who does a lot of international shipping out of the US I can tell you US guys that the easiest way to ship is at USPS.com.
It's free to create an account and their website generates the Customs Declarations forms for you - you just have to list the items you are declaring.
You must ship Priority International or greater, but you can also ship Flat Rate Internationally.
It really makes it very easy to create your customs declarations forms.
BONUS: when you use USPS.com to ship you get Delivery Confirmation for free. Most international shipments are trackable via the US Customs Declaration number right into the foreign country and to delivery.
You do NOT have to take them to the post office either, they will pick them up.
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Thanks Donnie. Good to know for everyones future reference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Quick Explanation on Something (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL