The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Broken by Don Theo III (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Broken begins with an interesting essay about the use of failure in mentaism. The author has some very interesting points to share that some may not fully agree with. At the very least, however, his thoughts will get you thinking about how most mentalism demonstrations could be improved. It is well worth a read. Another essay titled “Speed Trap” is offered later in the book that is equally worth your time and attention. Don discusses the process of recapping an effect just prior to the denouement. He introduces an idea he calls pre-capping that may be better suited for certain situations.

The other items in the book are routines from the Don’s repertoire. It is evident that each of these demonstrations have been road tested in real world performances. Here are the details:

Svenvelope- The performer introduces a stack of index cards with words written on them. He explains that a spectator will think of one of these words at random in just a moment. He turns his back and the volunteer selects a word. The mentalist turns to face him and attempts to divine the word… and fails (this is intentional on the part of the performer). He feigns frustration and moves on to the next experiment.

Next, a freely chosen card is isolated in an opaque envelope. The performer is able to name the card, breaking the tension that was built up from the earlier failure. Finally, the volunteer reveals the word he was thinking of earlier. Let’s say it’s ‘airplane.’ The envelope is opened to reveal a secret prediction that reads “I predict that I will fail to read your mind when you think of the word Airplane.”

This is definitely an interesting way to go performance-wise. While the method would allow you to get a direct hit on the first phase AND still do the prediction, Don has decided to intentionally miss on the first demonstration. We’re not talking about a near miss as is often seen in mentalism routines. This is a full blown failure. From a theatrical standpoint, I’m not sure how I feel about this.

In some ways showing that it takes effort to read a thought from someone’s mind and then showing that you predicted their thought from the start doesn’t really make sense. It’s discrepant. If you knew what I was going to think of from the start, why did it take so much effort to “read” my thought? On the other hand, doesn’t the same discrepancy exist in this case? At any rate, his approach will definitely get you thinking.

Regarding the method, Don credits Bob Cassidy for the idea. I think you’ll find it to be very clever. Pay particular attention to the additional idea offered about beginning with blank cards and writing words called out by the audience on the cards as you go. While it would certainly take some additional prep, it would make the selection procedure seem that much more fair.

Eudemania- Several spectators enter random numbers into a calculator on a borrowed iPhone and total them. Another person turns the hands of a watch and stops at any point. Suppose they stop at the time 11:21; the total of the selected numbers on the calculator is 1121.

This is a combination of two classic mentalism principles. There are no gimmicks or secret preparations. The routine may be done completely impromptu provided you can borrow the required iPhone and watch. It is easy to do and packs a huge impact for the audience.

Phantom Phone- This uses the same methodology as the Svenvelopes routine for a different effect. The ad states that the spectator “freely thinks of a word.” This isn’t really true. While the volunteer will certainly get the impression that she is selecting a word that the performer couldn’t possibly know, it is not as if she simply thinks of any word in her mind. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but something that you need to be aware of. What you’re really getting here is a revelation using a smart phone that can be applied to other routines as well.

Primo Wishin’- From the ad description, this is “a no gimmick, real deck, amazingly clean approach to the Premonition effect.” While I think the idea utilized here is a good one and could be applied to other circumstances, I don’t like how it is packaged as Premonition effect. It is not sure fire in the least.

Cappricio- This is sort of a “performance only” routine (kind of strange for an e-book, eh?). As it is used as another example of applying a “broken” rhythm to your performances, I think it was worthwhile to include it here. No details of the method are divulged, but Don does give you the overall idea. It is left to the reader to fill in the blanks.

McFly- A spectator selects a card and a number. When the cards are counted, the selection falls at the chosen number. This is similar to the popular Any Card At Any Number plot, but this is certainly not a purist’s version. The card is physically selected and the magician shuffles the cards during the demonstration. Looking at the effect on its own, I think you find it to be a fine effect. However, don’t make the mistake of thinking you are getting the Holy Grail of ACAAN here.

Zoran: Zentalism- Don recounts a story of how he first was introduced to mentalism by his mentor Frank Zoran. In telling the story, he recounts the first trick his mentor ever performed for him and explains its workings. I don’t see a lot of guys actually taking the time and effort to learn it, but it is certainly a strong effect. This final section makes for a nice read despite the author’s hyperbole.

Don’s writing style is clear and insightful. While I like the routines, the real value is the thinking that goes into each one. You really feel like you are on a journey with the author as you read through. The effects are not presented in a disjointed “show and tell” style that is the case with most magic books. There is thread that runs through the writing that gives you a real sense of who Don Theo III is as a performer. While not every routine will suit you, I am confident that everyone will come away with something of value.

Recommended.

- Available for $23 from Lybrary.com

Caleb
(For more reviews, please visit my blog at http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com)
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Broken by Don Theo III (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL