The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Irish themed patter, effects or ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
In 25 years of working bars, nightclubs and restaurants I've somehow managed to land my first "hard core" Irish Pub...I'm talking whiskey drinking, mommy loving, corned beef & potato eating, IRA supporting bar...yea ME!!!! I've worked at many "trendy" Irish named places, but never for a place like this. Aside from my normal bar room magic (Which they seemed to enjoy) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on Irish themed effects or maybe some patter for effects...so far I managed to switch out my US coins for Irish coins and that's about it. Any help, thoughts, reference's or suggestions very much appreciated...Thanks, RJ

BTW: I LOVE THE IRISH...BUT HATE THE CELTICS!!!!
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
In Walt Anthony's "Tales of Enchantment" there is a terrific storyline for the Lota which uses an Irish theme.

Aldo Colombini sells a neat packet trick about Leprechauns.

You might like to take a look on U-tube for "The Irish Shuffle".
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Thanks this is just the kinda of stuff I'm looking for, I like the Lota idea, should play well with this group, Also thanks to Herb Larry for the additional info. I also found a lot of Irish limericks and sayings on line, Would like to have a book with the same for easy reference...thanks again, RJ
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Go buy some green bikes.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Your post got me thinking about Irish Magic...a quick Google turned up:

http://magicireland.com/

They have blogs, interviews, etc. You could probably connect with somebody there and pick their brains.

Good Luck!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Spellbound with a Jfk half and an old irish penny (half dollar sized). You can come up with your own patter. It's not a really patter heavy trick, anyhow.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Just do your normal stuff. Im Irish and to be honest the whole leprechaun stuff is fair annoying ;D Just have the craic and banter away. Tell them you know a magician from cork and that he keeps calling you a "langer" If they venture back home a bit they will get it Smile

Have a good one!

Pete
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
Irish themed patter doesn't have to be about leprechauns - There is a rich history and mythology to draw on from the Irish.

It doesn't have to be full stories either - just the odd irish reference to regionalise an effect. For example, if you were to do any of the many effects that utilise four kings, it would be easy to describe those kings as the ancient kings of Ulster, Connacht, Munster and Leinster. It is just a reference, not a whole storyline.

Of course, if you want storylines to apply to effects, check into the mythology - I'm quite fond of the story of Cuchulainn. Druids are a great source for ideas in the Bizarre magic area. Something could be made of St Patrick's great trick of making the snakes vanish from the land. You could tell tales of celts and vikings and Brian Boru, of famines and wars and the Irish diaspora to such places as Hell's Kitchen in New York. There's a lot to draw on if you want to.
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Use Green Sponge balls?

Also, go to a teachers supply store and get some Irish themed stickers...instead of a signature on a card, use a sticker? I use this in the past for a Halloween party where I had to stroll around and it worked well.

Card under Pint of Guinness?

The old three colored star trick with lucky charms

Best of luck,let us know how it plays out

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
All of this is fine, but does it really matter. Yeah, you can reference history and mythology, but would you do this is an American restaurant? I don't bring up bring up American history, I just do the tricks. I think you should just do your normal material.

Adding Irish coins is good. If you produce bottles or drinks, make them Irish.

Just my thought.

Good luck
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 10:14, Pete Legend wrote:
Just do your normal stuff. Im Irish and to be honest the whole leprechaun stuff is fair annoying ;D Just have the craic and banter away. Tell them you know a magician from cork and that he keeps calling you a "langer" If they venture back home a bit they will get it Smile

Have a good one!

Pete

LOL...thanks...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Irish themed patter, effects or ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL