The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Getting worse before you get better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
My first couple of times out on the street seemed to go quite well.

Now I find that I have noticed a lot of little things I would like to improve.

I have started scripting and planning everything much more than previously.

The last time I was out I was more nervous and couldn't build a good edge.

The main reason- I think- is that I am now relearning my presentation and not winging it as much as before.

I also have a weird feeling that it is because I care a bit more than at first. I have invested energy and time and I want to succeed at performing.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you get past it?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
It is a learning proces. you are learning something new and you - your mind and body have to give it a place. everytime you do a new trick you are starting all over again. with time you have learned the basic skills and the learning process goes easier. don't try to work to many things in. practice some point and do it a few times then do something else and do that a few times. one step at the time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Same advice as above. Baby steps. The same is true for all types of performing. Don't try to change everything all at one time. Work on a small part at a time. This way you aren't sailing in completely uncharted waters. It's like adding in new material. Test the newer stuff and ideas by surrounding it with comfort zones. Eventually, you will phase out the old for the new.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Building the edge is really important.
But it's a step that we often jump over in our hurry to get to our show 'proper'.

Jimmy Talksalot's advice on edge building is great.

My two cent would be to script your edge build, make it part of your show instead of something you have to get past in order to start your show. (if that makes sense)
It's the toughest part but once you have that mastered 'hat lines' will feel like a breeze
:)

best

dave
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I can attest to this. Your expectations of yourself get higher, your mistakes become more notable to you (though your audience might not be aware of them), and the little nuances of your environment you may have missed as a complete noob become more apparent (and distracting) to you.

Time and shows under your belt are the only cure.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
Cheers guys.

I think your right I need to slowdown and improve a little bit at a time.

Gaddy, you hit the nail on the head. I was looking a lot more at my spectators and noticing for example, "their attention seems to be drifting a little here, I need to change somethings. "

Back on to the street, just as soon as the temperature gets above -3C.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Welcome to the world of show biz...LOL...The more you are out there performing the better you'll get...I like to take notes after each show or night of work, sometime just a quick email to myself pointing out the highs and the lows or any other thoughts from the show or performances I did....I read them a few days later and work on anything that needs work...

Don't worry so much...Have fun and enjoy the moment...Even the best of the best mess up sometimes...Except for me...LOL!!!

Later & Out,
RJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Getting worse before you get better? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL