The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dolly Darko Review.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
908 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
While I was dodging the UK snow in South Africa a Dolly Darko review appeared on Magic Week last Saturday, so for all of those waiting (or interested in waiting!)here's the review...

Dolly Darko and the Theatre of Souls
Lebanon Circle Magic
Reviewed by Martin Daubney

Seldom is there a magical effect that comes to market that truly could receive a one word review. This is one of those effects and the word is “Awesome”. To be fair though it would be a very short review if that’s all I had to say. Dolly Darko and the Theatre of Souls is not a trick but a way of entertaining people through storytelling, engaging their emotions and maybe touching their souls. Ideally performed in as a parlor act or stage, what you receive is enough to be a self contained act.

So what’s in the box? The star of the show of course is Dolly Darko herself. She has been described by family and friends as repulsive, gruesome, and creepy which is just perfect. I first set eyes on Dolly’s younger sibling about six years ago when the twisted mind of their creator, Dan Baines, placed an advert in Magic magazine for the original Swami Doll. Finances stopped me then but as I got to hear about Dolly, I knew I had to have one, and am delighted that I have. Dolly is extraordinarily well made. Attention to detail is phenomenal in every respect, and that face is… well go and take a look. She looks every bit like the old Victorian doll she purports to be including her clothing, wig and the aging she has received under the careful and watchful eyes of Dan.

Also included is the Theatre Of Souls, which is a charming, although not fully innocent, setting for Dolly to perform her wonders. It looks perfect with its rich red crushed velvet curtains and a hint of devilment on the proscenium just to add some authenticity. The theatre is not the sturdiest of constructions, which is acknowledged by Dan in the thorough DVD that comes with this wonderful piece of theatre, where is it suggested that setting the theatre up permanently with a dab of PVA glue might be worthwhile. I will be doing that with mine.

Dolly of course needs a little help to reach “the other side”. Again this has been thought through fully. Every aspect of setting Dolly up for her performance is explained in full on the DVD. You also get hints and tips on developing the show to suit you, a rather eerie documentary that you could show to an audience to authenticate Dolly and her abilities, and all the files you need to bring this piece of theatre to life.

The beauty about Dolly Darko is that you can make it your own. Dolly can move things about her theatre, select chosen cards and even “kick” things out of the theatre if you make her cross enough. But it doesn’t stop there. If you have already bought Abberline’s Repository (also from Lebanon Circle) then you could easily combine the two, making a whole evening of spooky entertainment. I also hear that Dan plans to release additional pieces for Dolly to play with as his imagination takes hold.

Is this for everyone? Well it is pricey and so probably not. The price might be high but it is more than fair. The works that goes into making each hand made piece is huge, and it shows. Performers who want to move into a darker side of magic are recommended to visit Lebanon Circle Magic to discover more. Collectors of all things occult probably already have one of these in their collection. If not….are you sure you are a serious collector?

This is a ten out of ten piece of magic.

© Martin Daubney, December 2010
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
It's certainly on my list... Sadly not my Xmas list. But maybe something to celebrate a successful 2011 season Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Great to hear a review, looking forward to this enourmously.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I am so happy to hear a review. I just can't wait to get mine. What a great piece of art!
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Mine is (regrettably) up for sale here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dolly Darko Review.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL