The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Smart Ass Issue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just bought the SA from Penguin and noticed a few problems with the deck itself:

1) The deck was badly warped and bowed in
2) The gl@@ between the c@@@@ was not doing it's job and they would not come back back together tightly. This may be because of the warping.

I'm hesitant to try the cards in the refrigerator idea to de-warp them because of the gl@@. I guess I am leaning towards just returning the whole set to Penguin for a new set.

This seems like it will be an awesome trick once I get a working set. Maybe these were in the storage area too long, etc.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Hey saysold, I would return the deck... does not sound right. I have had my deck for well over a year and have had no issues with it. The warping will definitely affect the performance of the deck and once warped I don't think you can ever get them truly back to normal.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
John- as usual, you are on the money. I called Penguin today and Maxwell set up the return/exchange.
Is it just me or do you notice more USPCC decks that are warped these days? Even Tally Ho's have arrived where the cards pop in and out. I wonder why?

Thanks again John and also thanks for the PM's from Café members on this. SA looks like it will be cool.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
It's a phenomenon that ALL playing cards suffer during the winter months. There is no clear explanation why this happens but it is not permanent. Not even card clips seem to help this malady as I have had them "Click" even after being stored in a Porper Card Clip. I believe that lower humidity and higher air pressures have something to do with this.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 12:41, DomKabala wrote:
It's a phenomenon that ALL playing cards suffer during the winter months. There is no clear explanation why this happens but it is not permanent. Not even card clips seem to help this malady as I have had them "Click" even after being stored in a Porper Card Clip. I believe that lower humidity and higher air pressures have something to do with this.
Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

That's true and the reason for it is indeed lower humidity. It can help to put cards in the fridge, then in a clip again. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Absolutely true on the humidity. The same effect occurs when I visit Vegas from the coast, or if I'm flying in an airplane. It takes about an hour for the cards to start "cracking". On an airplane, you can also experience this phenomenon with a book, which will take on a "warp". They will go back to normal soon after getting to a higher humidity.

John
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
In the fridge and clip it again? This is something I gotta try. But I realize that if we leave the deck in a cold room (we use air con all the time here), the deck somehow is a bit warped. So when I press the deck in the middle, I can feel it warped a bit. Usually I will put it on the top of something that is a bit warm like my PC tower.

As far as about Penguinmagic, they also sent me a replacement deck when I got my first Mandolin deck. Basically it had an uneven cut in one of the card, so when it's in the deck, it left a visible gap in the middle. Maxwell sent the replacement soon after I e-mailed him.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
This isn’t going to help with the “warping of Smart Ass” but in general, I farrow my cards face up and face down when I put them away. I have always done this and it seems to make a difference.

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks Jered - that is helpful.

Penguin sent out a whole new set so life should be peachy - and I'm not being a smart ass!
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
I only get the warped thing happening with my decks in the heat of summer. Never have had it happen in the winter. Weird. (I live in NY).
Magic & Mentalism
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
My secret to keeping cards in good shape is self sealing bags-they keep moisture out:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Smart Ass Issue (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL