The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Coloring Book trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Trix aren't just for kids! The Coloring Book is one of them.

You never know who it impresses. Not too long ago I was cleaning up some paper work on my estate and asked my kids (ages 30 and 27) who wanted what from my personal property when I die. My daughter (27 and extremely successful in her own right) named only one thing. She wanted the props from my Coloring Book Routine. There is not much there. It only includes the actual Coloring Book, a Gag Bag and a miniature wand.

It's nice to know that you have a routine that impressed a millionaire!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I love the coloring book. I can't believe the miliage I've got on it. I recently changed the routine and I'd like to share it.

I tell the children that besides performing magic I also like to color. I go into a story about how I got into coloring a year ago and just finished my first coloring book. I ask them if they want to see it. I then bring out the coloring book and talk about how proud I am of my coloring book. As I open the coloring book, I ask them what they think. I've opened the coloring book to blank pages. They all scream there's nothing there. I take a look and I'm shocked. I can't believe all that work is gone.

I get the kids to help me make new pictures inside the coloring book. I show the new uncolored pictures, thank the children, and proceed to put the book away as I mention that I have a new coloring book to color now. I pause, then turn back towards the children and say, "Wait, that's not fair. I just had all of you use magic to create new pages for me to color, and I didn't ask if any of you would like to help me color the pictures. I get them to help me color the pictures, and everyone applauds.

I'm not sure how original it is, but I created the new routine because I was getting bored with the same old routine that I was using. That's what I love about the coloring book. It has many different applications for it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Very nice Danny! I also like the routine from TJ a few up from this one.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Thank you Mike! I like TJ's too. Having a dummy book around to fool the "curious georges" sounds like a neat idea.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On 2012-05-30 19:32, Bob Sanders wrote:
Trix aren't just for kids! The Coloring Book is one of them.

You never know who it impresses. Not too long ago I was cleaning up some paper work on my estate and asked my kids (ages 30 and 27) who wanted what from my personal property when I die. My daughter (27 and extremely successful in her own right) named only one thing. She wanted the props from my Coloring Book Routine. There is not much there. It only includes the actual Coloring Book, a Gag Bag and a miniature wand.

That's pretty special Bob! I love it!
I am not a nice guy... So I will say: I hope she NEVER gets it!!!! Smile
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Make your own style coloring book- except- put pictures of TRAIN -STATUE OF LIBERTY -_ BOATs any large Items(or anything Copperfield made to vanish) of course everyother page blank - shoiw pictures and state you cant make up your mind which object to make dissapear- so"I'll mak ALL of them vanish - do so!! Have fun Ralph
bigjay1974
View Profile
New user
Worcestershire. UK
85 Posts

Profile of bigjay1974
Was pretty shocked to see a colour book in a cheap pound type shop the other month
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
Sometime ago, someone manufactured the classic coloring book with just the outline pages so that it could be given to the volunteer as a gift. Does anyone know if it is still available?

I have the totally blank one which I leave out while I am packing up. Its amazing how many adults "play" with it trying to figure out how the trick was done!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
If this is something you will be doing on a real regular basis, it might be less expensive to go to your local Staples, Office Depot, etc and have them print them up for you. However, you probably would want to make your own drawings, in order to avoid violating copyright laws.

Check with Fun, Inc, or Loftus...they may have them available in bulk at a good price.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Great ideas, particularly the one "I'll show you the best way to perform it".
Don-G
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire England
166 Posts

Profile of Don-G
I have developed a Monte effect using three colouring books, you can endless fun with this effect from being just being a magical effect to getting very confused and asking the kids to explain or, shall I suggest it, even a gambling game. If that last suggestion does not get a few backs up I will be very surprised. The ideas are endless and you can make it last as long or short as you want with great involvement from the youngsters.

Don-G
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 06:17, Mike Maturen wrote:
I agree with you, Chad. Sometimes we can "improve" an effect to the point that it no longer works well.

I'm surprised to not see a certain person here trying to sell their version of the coloring book. In my opinion, it is the perfect example of what you are saying. The demo video the person posted was not very good, and from the lack of reactions and participation from the audience I'm surprised it was the one used to demo their version of the coloring book.

There was very little to no reactions from the children during the whole routine, and the ending was uneventful. It was tough watching it all because of the dead air time in the routine. I also found the presentation to be terrible. I would never bring up a volunter and leave them standing there with their back to the audience. Children talking amongst themselves while the performer is talking. Adults in the back ground talking and chatting.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you are bothered by the kids who bought a coloring book at the Dollar or Pound store and know how it works, I show a simple and logical solution in my Kid Show version of the Coloring Book on The Magic Nook. You make the books yourself from Dollar Store regular kids coloring books that they are all familiar with. You can even include Disney books or anything else they are selling, because they paid the licensing fee already. You don't start with a blank book. That's not a logical beginning because most kids coloring books are not filled with blank pages. So start with the black and white lined drawings, just as they do when they buy a book. If you want to be clever, you can have the helper choose which coloring book to use from a stack- Mickey Mouse, Spider-man, Barbie, and so on. The first transformation is having the book filled with scribbles, as if colored in by a two-year-old. You can blame Giggles the magic Elf for getting hold of your crayons if you don't have anyone else to blame. I use vanishing crayons in my routine (explained in the e-Book) and roll the book into a tube to dump in the crayons, whereupon they vanish and the colors go into the pictures. Now to keep the logic flowing and deal with the smart kids at the same time- I roll the book into a tube once more and dump the crayons back out into the helper's hand. Since he has the crayons, the colors must have gone back into them, so the book is once again shown to be just black and white line drawings- for real, because I give the book to the helper along with the crayons and send him home with a souvenir, and the kids can examine the book all they want and not find the solution. But I don't have to challenge them over it- the kid has the book and I am out a little over a buck for a coloring book (with my contact information sticker inside the back cover) and about a quarter for a box of cheap crayons.

Last Halloween, Spellbinder came up with a use for Oriental Trading Company's inexpensive coloring books, based on the fact that they are about the size of jumbo cards, and he has combined several jumbo card routines that he now does with coloring books. You'll find his ideas in The Wizards' Journal #24.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Was doing some house cleaning and just came across what appears to be a super coloring book called, Book of Treasures by Ken Scott. Does anyone know anything about this.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It's a coloring book trick which dumps treasure coins at the end.

Quote:
A coloring Book effect that starts with illustrations of treasure chests—that change to books—that change to open chests filled with treasure then as a climax, Gold Coins are poured from the book.
Dennis Michael
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I stopped doing the coloring book trick as it seemed overused and kinda boring.
Then I saw Danny Orleans perform it on his Art of Presenting Magic to kids.
Fantastic. I love the magic coloring book again. Fantastic presentation.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Dan Harlan has an interesting take of the coloring book on his Pack Small, Play Big- Bizzare Magic Act. He called it the book of the dead and it was very creepy. kinda cool. not for kids.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Jcrabtree: I agree with you...I like Danny's version of the coloring book. He teaches how to make it in his DVD series.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Coloring Book trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL