The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Try the impossibe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I have just ordered this book, and fear I may have made a mistake, because after reading some of the threads, they say that you shouldn't buy this if you haven't already read any of his other books. Have I made a mistake? Will it take for granted that I already know the stack? Because I don't?
La magie, c'est ma vie
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
This is the first book I read from Aronson and it is great. You did not make a mistake and will not be disappointed. There is a fair amount of work that does not require use of the memorized deck.

Dave
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Rest assured you did not make a mistake. This is a great book. Many of the effects in this book rely on his stack BUT do not rely on the memorization of this stack. The effects at the beginning of the book titled 'Undo Influence' are self-working astonishers. You'll like his stuff.
Ed
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Yes!!! This is a great book. The Undo Influence section alone is worth the price of the book, but there are other fascinating things in there, too. This is the first book by Aronson I have read, and it makes me want to get his other ones, too. I don't know his (or any other) memorized deck, but if anything could make me want to learn it, this book could do that. You did NOT make a mistake.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I have read all of Aronson's Books, and this like all of the others is wonderful. As Hushai says, The Undo Influence is outstanding, this principle has so many applications, and you will probably fool yourself the first few times you play with it.

There is a section of memorized deck effects, but some of them just use the stack, and memorization is not necessary. The book also comes with a Joker, with the stack printed on the reverse.

If you like good quality card magic, I can't imagine you not liking it. It really is a goodie.

Iain.
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
Personnaly I really don't like the section on the stack cause it is a lot of spell variation effect wich are not interesting and that i can hardly do cause i'm french.
But that's right the section on undo influence is really great the routine on the ring and band is also good.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
like Jemy, I disliked the spelling effects which just repeat themselves.
but the Undo influence is amazing. it is so NATURAL to do and yet so devious.
I was happy with the book after reading the first effect described!
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Don't overlook Aronson's "flash speller"...great, great utility (especially if you ever perform things like "The Trick That Cannot Be Explained").

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
I would say that about 50% of the material or more is not spelling effects and strong material. Some of the spelling effects are really good too.

Dave
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Simons FlashSpeller.... simple and great for impromptu jazzing, if that's your cup of tea (its not really mine but I love the thinking).
Undo Influence... incredible, and I look forward to future creations of this kind, I think(hope) we have only scratched the surface here. Prior Commitment is my favourite effect from this book though like most of this material I don't think it will be as fully appreciated by the lay audience as it will by magic creators and thinkers. Yes, the effects are repetetive(as Simon very openly says) but this book is not so much about expanding your repetoire as it is about doing the same for your love of this fabulous art and your appreciation for the true thinkers that elevate our artform beyond mere trickery and into the realm of the impossible. This is the kind of book that will stimulate the the thinkers in magic, and I for one cant wait to see what new creations come of this kind of insane devotion to discovery and exploration of the possibilities and impossibilities we can create with a deck of cards.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I have all of Aronson's books, know his stack, etc. The man is a genius who writes very clearly. Whether you ever learn the stack, his books still have plenty of material that you can use. Not every trick is for everybody. You probably would've done better to start with another, but it shouldn't matter too much. If you get a notion to learn the stack, get Bound to Please next. You'll be on your way to one of the strongest weapons any card afficionado can have in their arsenal.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Try the impossibe (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL