The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cardini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
There are methods for lighting cigs in the "tanks" that just use wooden matches and you can light them while in hand.

As far as gloves go, I have found that military "Honor Guard" cotton gloves work well and white "Kid Leather" gloves are superb.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
DJ, Cardini lit his cigarettes before he went on stage. They were put into the holder/tank just before he made his entrance. If, in the course of his act one went out, he simply made a show of relighting it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thanks Harry,

So I guess there must be air holes in the tank. Because I would think they would go out after about 2 minutes. Could I have birds in my coat also or would this harm them?

Sorry I don't know much about these holders...

Also does anyone know where I can get one of these?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Cardini, made his own “tanks” (he actually made most of the items he used, i.e., his billiard balls, etc). One side of the tank was made of wire mesh (screen or more accurately “rabbit wire”. I saw one of his tanks at a collector’s convention some years ago. It held four lit cigarettes.

The cigarettes smolder while in the holder. They don’t give off much smoke (your jacket will smell like heck! But you knew that.). Properly placed they should not bother your birds.

If I were producing a dove from a dove pocket in my jacket, I probably would put the cigarette holder on the opposite side of the jacket at the hem. If I were producing two doves (or more) from each side of the jacket then my holders would be toward the rear of my jacket. It just takes playing with the props to find the absolute proper placement for your particular act.

Tanks for holding lighted cigarettes are fairly low tec and easily built. They are never seen so don’t have to be pretty. A pair of tin snips, an old soup can, a safety pin and a nail (to punch holes) and you can make a workable/useable tank.

DJ, Abbott’s used to carry a line of them. They were called "Cigarette Reproducers". They made them to hold from one to four cigarettes. Give them a call and see if they still carry a version.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Harry you have helped me out so many times. thanks again

DJ
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cardini also made reels and other gimmicks. I had one of the wrist watch reels he made, but had to sell to pay the rent.

Frakson was really the better cigarette act. Matter of fact Cardini was said to have taken photos of Frakson's act from a seat in the audience.

Both were master showmen.

Many cigarette acts only had a couple that were actually lit and burning, holding smoke in their mouth to blow out from a non lit cig.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I like the John Calvert "Symphony of Smoke". He doesn't light the cigarettes now. It still amazes an audience.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
John Calvert's cigaratte routine is still an amazing bit of magic. I saw him perform this when he was 90 at our area convention. He still amazed people with it and the skill involved.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Vienna Magic in Vienna (Austia) once had a cigarette dropper that was electronic and lit the cigarette as it was stolen.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
That sounds so great!!!

But I was talking with Tom Mullica and he told me to never use an electric dropper, he said they are not worth the trouble. I think that would be my best bet though...
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2003-08-19 17:44, Marcus Taylor wrote:
It is possible to enter wearing gloves, do a few things with them on, and then remove them, the excuse being that you entered with them on, and are now removing them.
I believe McBride even shows manipulations done while taking his gloves off. I think it is in part three of The Art of Card Manipulation series.

Man, what I would give to see Cardini perform.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
No kidding eh, it is volume 2.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On 2003-09-07 21:32, DJ Trix wrote: No kidding eh, it is volume 2.
My bad. Volume 2.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I don't think you need an excuse to remove gloves. Just do it or if you feel uncomfortable ( Smile ) about it try the suggestions from The Art of Card Manipulation Vol. 2.

Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cardini (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL