The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » I'm speechless ....... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Why?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Yikes. Smile
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
OK, it is currently "unavailable". What was it?
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Illusions By Vick
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Must be a joke.
P3
practice practice perform.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
WONDERBOB?

I have feeling this is real.

Mike
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Erm.... I guess this unique advertising message sets him apart from his peers??
Smile
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Omg. Yes! YES!

Woman two: "I'll have what he's having."

That was awesomeness. It's like making a taco but using pizza instead of the shell (look it up online! Sick!)
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
It's not a joke, it's for real and he is trying to sell his services
Illusions By Vick
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Well, his audiences actually look like their having fun. As for the promo reel, I don't need to say anything about that.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I did enjoy the chick in the bikini top.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
He is, or use to be a Café Member.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I really hope this isn't the future of magic...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Must be a David J Castle graduate!
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
I wonder if he offers his services in my area!

Wonderbob!
RobAnderson
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of RobAnderson
I think Wonderbob needs to watch this guy and then reconsider his act... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tEEy_a2NA
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Ok, I agree this makes me cringe.

But, in the “magicians helping magicians” spirit that the Café is *supposed* to be about, doesn’t it make sense to offer a constructive critique of this, rather than just shaking our heads and making snide remarks?

It could be argued that any helpful suggestions will fall on WonderBob’s deaf ears. It may even be true…but we don’t know that. Offering a critique of this video might at least serve as useful information for someone else who is preparing a promo video.

As Jim Steinmeyer remarks in his recent lecture notes, “Any !@#$%^& can knock down a barn. It takes a carpenter to build it.”

(And WonderBob: if you’re reading this, and want to jump in, I’d love it if you would. But given the tone of this thread so far, I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t.)

Since “dares go first”, my two cents:

It seems to me that WonderBob is aiming at the birthday party market. If that’s the case, I think this’ll work ok for him. What I see in this promo is a kind of lowest common denominator magician. The tricks are run of the mill and WonderBob’s casual dress (t-shirt and jeans, somewhat clownish red and white jacket) says to me “low cost birthday party magician”. This is an active market. It’s not where I want to be, but it’s where I (and many others) started.

He overhypes himself with the voiceover (nothing we haven’t heard before). He makes some generic promises: “a fun magic show…with loads of audience participation…some of the most amazing magic that you’ll be talking about long after the show is done…I can customize the show to suit your needs.” It all comes across as the work of a beginner, someone who’s selling himself as a guy who does tricks, and not much else. He obviously also does balloon sculpting, a good (probably necessary) feature to include in this market.

(Looking at his website, WonderBob is only charging about $150 for a show. That seems like an appropriate fee for his level of work. I could be wrong--anyone in the Maryland area care to chime in?)

It does bug me to see this kind of lowest common denominator stuff out there—to some degree, we all suffer by being associated with bad or mediocre magicians. But for those of us who work to be above that, I don’t think stuff like this is a threat from a business standpoint.

WonderBob, if you’re reading this, here are a few things I’d like to see done differently, the next time you make a promo video:

1. A better look. Better costuming would be nice. At the very least, get out of the t-shirt and jeans look. Or, if you MUST go t-shirt and jeans, make it *really* nice t-shirt and jeans. For the outdoor events you were seen at in the video, casual dress is not a bad choice. But I really feel that magicians should make themselves special, and there’s the old show business rule, “Always look better than they [audience members] do.”

2. Some sense of character or style about your work. From this video, you’re a guy who does tricks. That’s about all I get from this.

3. Better material, or stronger presentation of your material. I appreciate the way you chose the effects for the video—they were quick and visual. But again, no real sense of your style or character. And they were mostly generic magician prop stuff that is questionable to a thinking audience—dove pan w/ foam “cake”, long pole that is obviously not wood, steel or anything else non-collapsible, etc.

4. Overall attention to detail: I think you did a nice job of choosing still images—people having fun, applauding, smiling as they assist you, etc. This makes your work look good. Hopefully, as you continue to work and acquire more photos, you can get away from things like the flaring of light in some of the photos, red eye, distracting elements in the shot, etc. The dog moving around in the background during the vanishing ketchup bottle and linking rings video segment doesn’t help. On the up side, I appreciated that the video was very short and to the point. Although I think you can do a lot to improve it, you did get your message across pretty succinctly.

I’m not sure where WonderBob is going with his magic. Does he plan to move beyond the low-cost birthday market? If so, he has a lot of work to do. I wish him well, and hope that he works to make his magic stronger, his image more distinct, and his promotional materials more elegant.

Full disclaimer: I don’t claim to be an expert on promo videos (I’m still plugging away at making MY first one!), but can only tell you the way I see it. If there are more expert opinions out there with constructive criticism, join in!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Very well said Ronin, I enjoyed the read.

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I agree,
that post should be in a required reading for all budding magicians.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » I'm speechless ....... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL