The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Manatees Fleeing Global Warming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You are partly right and partly wrong, Danny. Scientific propositions should be falsifiable; in this we completely agree. Evolution is falsifiable. This is precisely what makes questions like "can it explain eyes?" and "can it explain wings"? legitimate challenges to evolutionary theory. There are also questions of compatibility with other scientific theories, laws, data, etc. Evolutionary models are testable against genetic and biochemical results.

The same goes for global warming. The pieces that make up the claims are testable. We can test the absorption spectra of various greenhouse gases; we can compare satellite and land-based temperature data; we can compare inferences from ice cores to those of tree rings, and so on.

Both evolution and global climate change are good science. That is why they are being constantly challenged and modified. The basics are very stable, but the devil, as always, is in the details.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Mr. Haydn,

I'm glad you noticed my allusion to that old communist's very wise and droll saying, when asked what he could ascertain about the Creator, based on his biologist's knowledge of His creation . . . according to the sources quoted by the Wikipedia, beetles comprise 40% of all insect species . . . about 450,000 beetle species have been catalogued so far (there may be many more waiting to be "discovered"!) . . . as compared with the total number of catalogued insect species (on the order of 950,000) there are only about 5,000 mammalian species . . . I will leave it up to you to decide if the Creator is more fond of the common than the rare . . . I would prefer to think that He is equally fond of every species He created . . .

Woland
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
You are partly right and partly wrong, Danny. Scientific propositions should be falsifiable; in this we completely agree. Evolution is falsifiable. This is precisely what makes questions like "can it explain eyes?" and "can it explain wings"? legitimate challenges to evolutionary theory. There are also questions of compatibility with other scientific theories, laws, data, etc. Evolutionary models are testable against genetic and biochemical results.

The same goes for global warming. The pieces that make up the claims are testable. We can test the absorption spectra of various greenhouse gases; we can compare satellite and land-based temperature data; we can compare inferences from ice cores to those of tree rings, and so on.

Both evolution and global climate change are good science. That is why they are being constantly challenged and modified. The basics are very stable, but the devil, as always, is in the details.

John

It seems that you do not hold things you agree with to such strict ridgid standards as to those things you disagree with John. Can it explain eyes has NEVER been remotely done. Climate science is riddled with nonsense. You choose to believe so you choose to overlook and hold a different standard. Also not science by the way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 00:20, tommy wrote:
So how long will it take for us to evolve into god?

I dunno--how long will it take us to evolve into elves...or Elvis?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Hmmm...based on the rationale given, it DOES make more sense that "what is" is the result of an eternal omnibeing creating it all, full-blown, so that a microcosm of it, made in his own image (but with little-to-none of his understanding), could be his non-stop cheerleaders--both in this lifetime and for an endless one beyond.
:hmm:
:confused:
:huh:
:hysteric:
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 18:49, Dannydoyle wrote:

Can it explain eyes has NEVER been remotely done.

You guys really need to keep up with the literature and stop getting all your information from old journals from the nineteenth century. Evolutionary theory has made enormous strides since Darwin wrote his opus on the subject. It has been demonstrated how the eye could have, and most likely did evolve.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html

So to say that is has never been remotely done is incorrect. It might not have been done to your high level of satisfaction. But it has been demonstrated how the eye could have evolved through natural selection.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-02 18:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

John

It seems that you do not hold things you agree with to such strict ridgid standards as to those things you disagree with John. Can it explain eyes has NEVER been remotely done.

Sorry Danny, I don't understand your question. Are you asking by what mechanism complex mammalian eyes may have evolved?

Quote:
Climate science is riddled with nonsense. You choose to believe so you choose to overlook and hold a different standard. Also not science by the way.

Can you be specific? As always, I make the disclaimer that I am not a qualified climate scientist. But if you raise a concrete question about the details of some claim of climate science, I will do my best to see what the issue is and to respond in the most responsible way that I can.

John
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:00, Dannydoyle wrote:
Guys the thing about science is it must be disprovable or it is not science. Evolution is not disprovable, and neither is global warming, thus it is not such great science.

Evolution is easily disprovable. If you can find fossil mammals in the same geological strata as trilobites then evolution would be falsified. No one has ever found such contradictory data.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-02 20:14, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:00, Dannydoyle wrote:
Guys the thing about science is it must be disprovable or it is not science. Evolution is not disprovable, and neither is global warming, thus it is not such great science.

Evolution is easily disprovable. If you can find fossil mammals in the same geological strata as trilobites then evolution would be falsified. No one has ever found such contradictory data.

Ron

No that wouldn't falsify evolution. But it would show that our current chronology of life on earth is flat-out wrong.

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The real questions is how did the manatees survive the oil spill?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Manatees Fleeing Global Warming (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL