The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pot and Pregnancy, REALLY???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 18:07, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:12, Al Angello wrote:
In Pennsylvania MADD has the courts putting lots, and lots of people in jail, they are picking up trash on the highways, and lots of people are loosing their driving license for DUI. The county prison here is fulled to capacity with DUI convicts. If they had stricter laws than we already have they would have to build a second county prison.

One of the many things that show how the current "justice" system is clearly not on the right path.

Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Awareness has cut DUI fatalities about in half over the last 25-30 years, from around 20,000 annually to 10,000. Still too many. I'd rather see more drunk drivers forcibly removed from the road.

Ok, so you acknowledge that awareness has been helping, but still want focus on imprisonment? How has putting more in prison helped? Recidivism in DUI cases, I believe, fairly high.

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/52434212.html

One of the factors contributing to a high level of recidivism is the current wrist-slap that a no-injury first offense DUI conviction gets you. Stronger sentences help in two ways - through incapacitation, definitively removing the drunk driver from the roads (all the more important to the extent that there's a high recidivism rate), and deterrence, thought fear of greater consequences.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
And how's that been working for other offenses? Stronger sentencing for many thing, like marijuana possession, has resulted in the ruining of the lives of those convicted rather than "setting them straight." Similarly, you lean more towards drunk drivers becoming much more serious students at the College for Crooks.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 19:43, gdw wrote:
And how's that been working for other offenses? Stronger sentencing for many thing, like marijuana possession, has resulted in the ruining of the lives of those convicted rather than "setting them straight." Similarly, you lean more towards drunk drivers becoming much more serious students at the College for Crooks.

How'd Andrew Gallo's 6 months of rehab work out for Nick Adenhart, Courtney Stewart, and Henry Pearson?

I mean, seriously, your question is how do stronger sentences help? I'm no theoretical physicist, but I'm pretty sure that if Gallo had been serving 5 years for his 2005 conviction, he wouldn't have killed three people in 2009.

As for other offenses, it's imperfect but helpful. Tex Watson hasn't killed anyone in over 40 years.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
There is no slap on the wrist in Pennsylvania, our county prison is bursting at the seems from DUI convictions today. After hours clubs have gone out of business because no one wants to enter a club when there are two cop cars camped out across the street waiting for someone to try to go home. DUI is a police, and lawyers bonanza in Pennsylvania.

RCP
I'm glad to see that you have a sense of humor.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 19:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

How'd Andrew Gallo's 6 months of rehab work out for Nick Adenhart, Courtney Stewart, and Henry Pearson?

I mean, seriously, your question is how do stronger sentences help? I'm no theoretical physicist, but I'm pretty sure that if Gallo had been serving 5 years for his 2005 conviction, he wouldn't have killed three people in 2009.

As for other offenses, it's imperfect but helpful. Tex Watson hasn't killed anyone in over 40 years.

I'm not necessarily suggesting rehab either. Many 12 steps programs are as effective as prisons.

However, not having a perfect alternative/solution is NOT an excuse to keep doing something that's not working well in the first place.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 21:02, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 19:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

I'm not necessarily suggesting rehab either. Many 12 steps programs are as effective as prisons.

However, not having a perfect alternative/solution is NOT an excuse to keep doing something that's not working well in the first place.

Do you think society has a right to infringe on someone's liberty for drunk driving when the driver hasn't harmed anyone? Can we impose any consequences at all in accordance with your philosophy?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 13:44, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 13:42, kcg5 wrote:

Oh, and its HIPPAA ..

Actually, it's HIPAA.

Ha!

1. I typed HIPA because I just like to call it "Health Information Privacy Act" for short. It's just a bad habit I have.

2. Over half of the potsmokers I know claim that it cures cancer. "Why does the man say it causes cancer when it totally cures it?" So, yeah, these people do exist.

3. Right. The DSM doesn't have anything about carginogenic and other effects of marijuana because that's not what the DSM is for, but it does discuss it's relationship to psychotic disorders. And it refers to it as a likely causal factor.
That marijuana use increases the likelihood of developing a psychotic disorder is very much accepted within the psychological community.
It was my own psychiatrist that said that weed is a bad idea for me given my family history. Every prof I've had has backed this up. Plus, it's in the book.

Look, smoke pot if you want to. I don't care if you do or not.
However, I know firsthand that it can cause some terrible psychological effects, I HAVE EXPERIENCED THESE EFFECTS. These were pretty much the worst experiences of my life.
So I would urge people who are maybe prone to be a bit 'psychologically vulnerable' to strongly consider these effects. They are terrifying. They are scarring.
I've lived it. Argue all you want, but I know the reality because I had to go through it.
So *** me for thinking I might make an effort to spare someone else that sort of pain, eh kcg5?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Smoking or Ritalin? Life gets interesting.

I know some kids on ritalin and they would probably be much happier on something else.
[/quote]

My kid was on Ritalin. It helped him a lot.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
That's not what I'm saying at all. Not one bit. It might work for some, not for others. People who claim it cures cancer, as you know, are crazy.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Sorry. Bad memories.

On another note, I don't believe in AA. That's just my opinion based on one j-hole, but I don't buy into it at all.
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
People claim Ritalin cures cancer?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If you smoke it I guess.

My brother was a major drunk who destroyed three cars, had two incidents (one car wreck and once when he staggered into traffic and was run over) where last rites were administered, in fact he was covered up as dead at the run over accident and somehow came back. He was arrested about thirty times for drunkeness including about five other DUIs and a lifetime license ban and had encounters with the police, literally, hundreds of times. He was a court ordered AA attendee for the last 20 years of his life and his routine was to go to his weekly meeting then he and a pack of other AA members would cross the street and get faced. What he told me he realized was he wasn't nearly as bad of a drunk as some other guys. It works for a lot of people, good for them, but court ordered is a joke, the drinker has to decide to quit. I was a heavy drinker and just quit, my father was a very heavy drinker and after one arrest and a visit to jail quit.

Just don't drink and drive.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 21:50, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Smoking or Ritalin? Life gets interesting.

I know some kids on ritalin and they would probably be much happier on something else.

My kid was on Ritalin. It helped him a lot.
[/quote]

Never said there weren't some it did help. Also, help can be relative.

Many kids are on it who shouldn't be, some are who should, and some aren't who should.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was on Ritalin for a few months in grade school. All it did is made me irritable. Really irritable. And it made my insomnia worse. Which made me even more irritable. Ritalin wasn't for me. I do think it helps some people though. Just not for me.
Also tried Cylert. In the end, gave up on pretty much everything but caffeine and meditation as concentration aids.
~Will Rogers
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
What's all this about pot & pregnancy?
I thought smoking pot decreased sperm count.
You know why don't act naive.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The father, I assume, is an acid head rather than a pot head.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Yep, that makes all the difference. Gotta keep your eye on the freakers.
You know why don't act naive.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Read the book "Ganja in Jamaica" by Vera Rubin.
Enough said!
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pot and Pregnancy, REALLY???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL