The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rewriting Huckleberry Finn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I may be off base here -

In context, along with Poe this was American literature asserting its existence. How very direct to say "this new nation has come to have its own voice and this is what's special about growing up here". I was not under the impression that Huck Finn was written for children - nor Tom Sawyer for that matter. At a guess, it's told to permit both nostalgia and some projection about values and actions though not itself directed at children.

Again, I may be more "out" than usual - what do you think of the above interpretation of the works in context?

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Update: There's yet another version of Huckleberry Finn coming out with the "N-word" removed. In this new one, all occurrences of the"N-word" will be r...... "Robot".

This could be good, but I may wait for the "Vampire" version (Awww, come on, who wouldn't want to read about Huck helping Vampire Jim escape down the Mississippi?)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
"Vittles" is a corruption of "victuals"....

Not exactly a "corruption", as such, but an attempt at a more phonetically correct spelling of the correct pronunciation of "victuals".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rewriting Huckleberry Finn? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL