The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dark Card, anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Is there a Dark Card user here? I can't seem to be able to separate the g^&*^*^k using the faro as suggested. I'm just wondering if someone else has (had?) a similar experience and a different solution perhaps.
dlg123
View Profile
New user
Maple Leaf Land
17 Posts

Profile of dlg123
Gee thought I was the only one using the dark card! Not sure in what context you are using the dark card but depending on how you are using it....no faro required. After doing a color changing deck I would force the dark card and get it signed ( that's right...and never got caught!) and holding the deck firmly insert the card into the middle of the pack from the back ( pretending to lose the card). As you are pushing the card into the middle of the pack the special something will happen and now I spead the deck and now there is one more odd back card and it is the specs signed card which can be given away and the deck can be examined and your clean and ready for another trick. The faro never worked for me either but I loved the concept of the dark card so much that I started opening with a color changing deck just so I could use it as a really good one two punch. Maybe my idea will make you think of some interesting ideas of your own because the dark card can be a powerful little weapon if used in the right context. Don't forget that they need to be "broken in" before being performed.Lets hope nobody reads this post and we will keep the dark card our little secret. Cheers Dwayne
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Good idea about inserting the signed card from the back into the middle of the pack instead of using the faro. Just tried and it works! Thanks, Dwayne!
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I like this idea of using it in a color changing deck routine - makes contextual sense, and really gives you some extra mileage.

Good thoughts!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
If you do try the faro technique, the Dark Card works better if you faro from the bottom up, rather than the top down.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Thanks for the advice. Will try.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
I agree with J.Warrens about your approach providing solid context. Also, the insertion from back works well for me and allows me to work around using a faro for achieving that "special something". Thanks for the suggestions Dwayne.
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
After the dark card is broken in, I can now do a bottom up faro to make 'it' happen.

Just curious...Do you guys use the basic effect from the instructions sheet or you have constructed your own effect(s) using the dark card? Here's mine...

Say my dark card is a blue 10C. I leave the red duplicate 10C in the deck below the dark card. I force the dark card and have it signed and returned, control to the top, then do a faro and a cut. Now I mention to my spectator that I have a prediction card in my deck. Spread and show the blue card. At this point the duplicate 10C is 2 cards down, so I slide the blue card slightly to the left and the card underneath (say it's a 2D) slightly to the right, almost like a Hofziner cull, and I put the top half along with the 2D on the table, thus positioning the duplicate right below the blue card. Do a double turnover and show that my prediction card is also a 10C (this is actually the red one with no signature). Do another turnover and put the blue card on the table, away from the deck. Tell the spectator I'm going to attempt something special for him/her. Do a magic gesture, turn over the blue 10C and show that I have now move his/her signature from the selected red 10C onto my prediction card, then hand it out as a souvenir. I got great reactions out of this.

I'm working on a variation which I can show both cards right before the signature is transported from one card to the other.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Hmmmmmmm . What eez this dark card you speak of ???
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 21:01, Roki wrote:

Here ya go:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_018.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Scott Guinn did a nice booklet on this great effect. It SHOULD be available at Lybrary.com

Best,
Vlad
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Vlad, what's the name of Scott Guinn' booklet? See you!!!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It's called "Dark Thoughts."

You can find it here:

http://www.lybrary.com/dark-thoughts-p-81066.html

Woland
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Woland, thanks so much. See you!!!
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Thanks Doug ,
Looks useful and versatile . I used to do a very similar effect(s) with some stuff I got out of a can . I wonder if this gaff is better than that ? Unfortunately I wouldnt know if it handles better till I got it I suppose !!! that's magic!
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Some excellent applications here. Also...

Quote:
On 2011-04-05 23:57, Doug Arden wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 21:01, Roki wrote:

Here ya go:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_018.html

SSSSSSSSSSSH!!!!

Occasionally I come across a thread hinting at a particular routine, item or sleight that I WISH had been left under the radar cause it's so good. And .... er... this is ISN'T one of those threads, if ya get my drift...

:innocent:
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Since this thread began, I resurrected my Dark card and have been using again for the past few weeks. I have for years made my own and also use stuff out of a can.
Kheiron2711
View Profile
New user
I wish I had more than just
20 Posts

Profile of Kheiron2711
Does anybody have a video link so I can see the trick in action before opting to spend money on it just based on what's written on the seller's website?

This sounds very similar to something I already do without the use of a 'gaff' card of some sort so I'm really interested to see if this one looks better, since mine isn't exactly "clean" at the point where they're signing the chosen card and hence they have to sign it in my hand, not theirs for fear of turning it over.
Kheiron2711
View Profile
New user
I wish I had more than just
20 Posts

Profile of Kheiron2711
Ah, found a video. Definitely better-looking than the one I'm doing currently although I think I understand how it works.
Just to be 100% sure though, is the red deck 'clean' and 'inspectable' once the trick is done? Based on what I understand, it should be possible for a person to quickly and roughly inspect the deck but probably wouldn't hold up to close inspection.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of User101
ANyone got tips how to make one ,Im unable to find one for sale in UK. I used to own it and know the gimmick.Would sticky tape be ok ,like in NFW or roughing balm?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dark Card, anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL