The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My ring and rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Nothing very original here. I stole a couple of lines from Roland Henning. The last move is my version of Sefalaljia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AsHGLjIiw
Jolyon Jenkins
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I like it,,,love the patter lines and the national security bit is a hoot. Good job.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I like it too! Presenting ring and rope as a theoretical physics lecture is inspired.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Lots to like here -- including the fact that you don't do too much ( my mistake)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks all - if I can motivate it, is there room for one more phase?
Jolyon Jenkins
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
My ring on rope only has four phases. I think yours is great with what you have. If you want to make the effect play bigger or longer script in more lines. Also you could get rid of the ring and move into another rope routine, maybe a jumping knot or something. And then use the ring as a call back as it jumps back on the rope.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks. One obvious thing would be to steal a little something while the hands are behind the back, which would allow some Sands/Fiber Optics type moves.
Jolyon Jenkins
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'm now partial to using the Heart Rings, doing some Ring/Rope effects, shifting to rings alone, then back to R/R with all four rings as a set -- with a little work you can apparently remove the rings one at a time from the rope.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Love it! Great routine!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I like the unique way you do the Sefalaljia (however its spelled)

The first part is very much like Roland Hennings ring and rope routine, which I also like.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Yes the moves in the first phase I took entirely from Roland Henning and also most of the patter in that phase is adapted from his.
Yes the last move is Sefalaljia; the idea of the knot/bow comes from the Daryl DVDs; I use a karibiner attached to my belt loops in place of the safety pin/hook - it might be an original method.
Jolyon Jenkins
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Very nice!
cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
A pleasant routine.
Just find that the last move was a bit too long, but the climax is well done so, finally, this waiting time doesn't matter.

Thank you for sharing.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I would disagree with your statement that there's nothing very original here. An original presentational idea, I think, is worth a whole bararge of moves. Well done.

So with this in mind I think that the 'string theory/rope theory' framing is excellent. In fact I think it's a shame you don't include a more complete scripting of this theme throughout the routine.

The problem with routines where the magician merely describes what the audience doesn't need described to them (ie what they can see is happening) is that they tend to be interminably dull. Your script, even with it's original framing, is still favouring this approach (your "like so" should be a big give away that this is the case) but the string theory/rope theory framework gives the descriptive nature of the script something else to hang on and for the audience to engage with.

If you develop the script so that it ceases to be a description of what we can see you are doing and is more an explanation of your 'rope theory' that is simultaneously demonstrated by the effects you perform then I think the routine could and would be greatly improved.

I also think the routine benefits from not being overly long which is another often made error of many a rope routine.

So congratulations on that too.

As for other thoughts... Although your performance of the mechanics of the moves are ok... they are only, in my opinion, barely just about ok. Every 'move' looks like 'something' sneaky happened. This isn't such a good thing when something sneaky did in fact just happen.

Your actions seem somewhat tense rather than relaxed and this will be (and is) transfered onto the audience.

This is another reason to develop a non descriptive based script as the script can then help act as misdirection. Where you're describing what you're doing while you're doing it the script draws attention to the very moves that might better be performed under less intense scrutiny. Being relaxed, having a sure and smooth handling of the sleights, a not overly cluttered routine and an entertaining script that offers a complimentary point of engagement and you have an excellent piece to be proud of.

And as it stands now it's better than most. Well done again.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks a lot sealegs for taking the time to critique it. Plenty to think about here. To some extent there's a difficulty when filming that you have to keep the pace up because even the smallest longeur seems awkward. In real life I take it a bit slower and am more relaxed (I hope). Likewise I have plenty more string theory/rope theory material but it doesn't seem to work on video because the magic needs to keep happening. But your ideas are v helpful so thanks again.
Jolyon Jenkins
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
I was impressed, like the routine and thought it was great.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Loved the "string theory/rope theory" idea. And the "national security" line.

The last part is really amazing.

"If I can motivate it, is there room for one more phase?"

Perhaps. Although you mention that before a live audience it might be a little longer already.

One idea for a final phase (although yours is great the way it is). Offer to do it again (For those in the cheap seats? Or the ones who weren't paying attention?). Put the ring on your head again. Put the rope behind your back, bring the ends forward, hold them with one hand. Take the ring off your head with the other, and put it behind your back. Bring that hand forward (without the ring) and transfer one end of the rope to that hand. Pull the ends of the rope. The rope and ring penetrate your body, ending up in front.

Can't go into method on an open forum, but feel free to send me a PM.

Thom
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks. It's a nice idea and logical, given that the rope has gone behind my body; have PM-ed you.
Jolyon Jenkins
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi ilike your routine alot. Ithink you need to watch the video a few times then do it for real a few times. Then after that the move that look a bit sneaky should come out OK. I do a ring and rope routine based on string theory as well and I do a bit about time travel. Were I tie a knot at the end then untie it. so at the very end it apears again.

Good work keep it going.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Is there a DVD explanation for tying a ring on rope behind back, while the ends of rope are in front of you, like on this clip, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AsHGLjIiw. please contact me - magicwalsh@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My ring and rope routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL