The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE SUPER BOWL!?!??!!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Too many teams.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well, I have been a non-wavering Green Bay Packer fan since before there were Super Bowls. I grew up in the era of Lombardi, Starr, Nitschke, Hornung, etc. I watched the Packers win Super Bowls I & II. My son is from the Brett Favre era, and watched the Packers win Super Bowl XXXI (and unfortunately lose Super Bowl XXXII).

Neither team was playing 100%, but it somewhat exemplifies the entire season for ALL NFL teams. This year had a team win their division with more losses than wins, and another division champion lose to the sixth seed wildcard team in the NFC championship game. This was not a typical year.

But the fact remains, the scoreboard shows the final of the game, and Green Bay won.

No after the fact rooting... just celebrating! It's a party here!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I rooted for the packers, they are so dang cute w/ cheese on their heads. That and since I prefer the niners seeing the Steelers win just isn't acceptable.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
HA! Take that Steelers!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I have a dumb question. Green Bay is a city of 100,000 in a county with a total population of 225,000. How do they support an NFL team? Who fills the stadium?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
All of the people who left Pittsburgh.
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 11:29, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I have a dumb question. Green Bay is a city of 100,000 in a county with a total population of 225,000. How do they support an NFL team? Who fills the stadium?

John

"The Non Profit Packers" by Dave Zirin blog in the New Yorker

"In a season where N.F.L. owners have steadily threatened to
lock out the players next year unless they secure more
profits in the next collective bargaining agreement, it's
poetic justice to see the Green Bay Packers, the team without
an owner, make the Super Bowl. Actually, it's not quite
accurate to say the Packers are without an owner. They have a
hundred and twelve thousand of them. The Packers are owned by
the fans, making them the only publicly owned, not-for-
profit, major professional team in the United States. The
Pack have been a fan-owned operation since the primitive pro
football days of the nineteen-twenties, when N.F.L. teams
could be won in card games and no one foresaw the awesome
power this sport would hold over both the American
imagination and the American wallet. "

More here: http://nyr.kr/hx65As
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 11:29, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Who fills the stadium?

People from all over the world actually, but mostly from all over the state of Wisconsin. There are 75,000 people on the waiting list for seasons tickets which at the rate they turnover, equates to a 35 or 40 year wait for the people at the bottom of the list. They have had almost 300 consecutive sellouts. There is definately no shortage of people dying to see a game in Lambeau Field.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 23:58, Dr. Magic wrote:
Here's the problem:

The players are not the calibre of players in the 50's-80's. They lack the talent and mental ability of the greats from the past. Baseball is the same.

The GREAT Jim brown says this and I agree.

lol!! Jim Brown is so full of crap. Go back and look at the guys he lined up against. 155 pound middle linebackers whose speed you could time with a calander? Some of those guys sold insurance in the off season for Petes sake. When Jim Brown played he was a man among boys many times. The great players of today have every bit of the talent and mental ability as they did in the past except for now they are incredible athletes. Bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Richer and more juiced too! Modern chemistry has sure made for an exciting sport.
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 13:00, Marlin1894 wrote:

lol!! Jim Brown is so full of crap. Go back and look at the guys he lined up against. 155 pound middle linebackers whose speed you could time with a calander? Some of those guys sold insurance in the off season for Petes sake. When Jim Brown played he was a man among boys many times. The great players of today have every bit of the talent and mental ability as they did in the past except for now they are incredible athletes. Bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before.

Records will most surely always be set and broken as long as someone is around to care and as long as someone can further split a nano second.

Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus were hardly 155 pound middle linebackers. I stood next to Nitschke when he was in his prime, and granted I was just a kid, but that man was a monster. (He even jokingly said he was too ugly to have his picture taken!)

I ran into Bart Starr (MVP Super Bowls I & II) in the Birmingham airport a few years ago, and had a nice little conversation with him. I was of course a full grown man by then, but he was taller than me.

Fast forward 30 years... I also knew Derrick Thomas personally (RIP). He owned a restaurant where I performed. This was during his playing career. Along with his other stats, check his height and weight compared to the other Linebackers I just mentioned. They were all about the same.

For what they accomplished in their era, and what injuries many of them played through, I don't see any more toughness today. They were not "boys", unless you consider age and perhaps some occassional antics! Speed and power may be increased now, but so are safety precautions, and the advancement of medical care. Quarterbacks slide feet first for Pete's sake!!

That kind of an arguement is like saying that those who fought in WWII were not fighting as hard as those in Viet Nam.

As far as some of them "selling insurance" during the off season, do your homework and check the pay scale for pro sports players then and now. Lots of guys here who rightfully call themselves magicians, still have other jobs that support their families. Are we supposed to consider them less, too??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I'm not sure how other Northern teams, that have an outdoor field, do it but what I've always loved about the Packers is, if there is a game at Lambeau field after a snow storm, they don't hire professionals to shovel out the stadium, they hire fans. The Packers franchise pays well over minimum wage, for the day, and feed all of the helpers.

Hundreds of people show up to work. For some it is just to be at the historic field, some to help out their team and for others it is the only job they've had in months.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Except today... they showed up and did it for free.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/a......ers-home
~michael baker
The Magic Company
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
That's strange, because after the news story of today's shoveling they ended the report saying they still needed help to finish shoveling tomorrow and were still paying $8 an hour. One or the other report is incorrect. Who cares the Pack won the Super Bowl Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I attended a pro football game outside....14 degrees on the field in the sun, 9 in the shade. It sucked.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 23:08, x-treem wrote:

That's strange, because after the news story of today's shoveling they ended the report saying they still needed help to finish shoveling tomorrow and were still paying $8 an hour. One or the other report is incorrect. Who cares the Pack won the Super Bowl Smile

The Star is a liberal rag out of Toronto, Canada. You can never believe what it prints. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 00:36, MagicSanta wrote:
Too many teams.

Amen to that! Pretty bad when a "wild card" team catches THE division champs on a bad day and advances. If you didn't finish the regular season in 1st place that should be it, end of story...no second chances.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Liberal? Wouldn't that be maistream?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 23:35, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 23:08, x-treem wrote:

The Star is a liberal rag out of Toronto, Canada. You can never believe what it prints. Smile

Probably an irrelevant point, as there would have been enough volunteers to do this anyway. It's THEIR party.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE SUPER BOWL!?!??!!? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL