The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Burden Of Age (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Griffin
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Griffin
G'day Sam Griffin from Australia typing,
I am very curious to see how old you all were when you received your first paid gig. I am 17 - turning 18 August 8th Smile And have never performed magic in any scenario in any situation in any time! I feel I have wasted precious time. I would absolutely love to be an Amateur magician yet alone Pro.

How old were all you when you performed your first paid gig?
How many years later was it when you were getting phone calls and bookings regularly.

Last Question, Q: Was their any business plan you used to become more successful or any major big steps? OR did it happen more subconsciously without even realizing, until the day you DID REALIZE! Smile

Look forward to your responses

Sam Griffin
"When we are on stage, we are in the here and now."
"The eye is the window of your soul."

"The PERFORMER must BELIEVE in everything that takes place on the stage, only then will the AUDIENCE BELIEVE!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I am pushing fifty and as of yet I've never had a paid "Magic" gig. I am a professional performer but at this time I'm wanting to switch to Comedy Magic or Mentalism. I've been on stage several times a week for more than 20 years. I hope to have my first gig this year.
Dave Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
If you're 17, then you have more precious time left than you know what to do with. Go to college and work on your magic. I'm sure that many of the professionals here will give you good advice on how to fill the next five years.

Remember that many people succeeded "later" in life. Raymond Chandler sold his first novel at 50.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Sam,

My first paid gig was at the age of 9. I then began doing birthday parties for many years and also began working in burlesque at age 16 HOWEVER I was still in school and in fact magic paid my way through University too, something I highly recommend that you do too. Believe me when I tell you that right now, professionals look like they live the glamorous life, living and breathing magic WHICH truthfully is so far from the truth that...well, believe me, make sure that you do have an education before you embark upon the life of a true professional. When all is said and done, a higher education is reflected in both your writing (such as posts on here) as well as in your actual performances. It WILL improve YOU as well as your performances by having an education and in the mean time, as you get better, it helps pay the bills if you start to do paid shows.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
My first paid gigs were birthday parties for kids when I was 15 years old. I began working with my mentor and the SAM club in the area. I started getting paid to do magic at 19 when I turned pro.

S. Patrick
Sam Griffin
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Griffin
Interesting replies!
I however cannot go to University as I have left school in year 10 and have not obtained my HSC (High School Certificate) When I signed out of school I always knew I had my acting/performing on my side. F or the last 5 years have been interested and been reading up on the magical art. I had planned to focus 100% on getting gigs in magic, however - after joining this message board, I realize it is not just a walk in the park to success. So...I’m now left with unreliable work in acting. Many days I sit at home bored, regretting leaving school. So what I am asking you all is.... Should I forget about performing magic for now and settle in with a full time job and earn a wage? Or, should I work and study every day reading up as much as I can regarding magic and putting together an act then go out an perform as soon as possible?

My dad believes I should go for an employment being a bar attendant...He says it would be the best job to go with for 2 reasons. 1st = It's a full time job and will get me the money required to enroll in future career opportunities. 2nd = I could get experience with magic performing on the bar and gaining the working knowledge to advertise and to promote yourself?

What do you guys reckon?
Cheers Smile
I am really looking forward to your replies.
Regards,
Sam Griffin
"When we are on stage, we are in the here and now."
"The eye is the window of your soul."

"The PERFORMER must BELIEVE in everything that takes place on the stage, only then will the AUDIENCE BELIEVE!
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
Your dad knows you better than any of us. And I think he's right!

If you're regretting leaving school, as you said in your post, I suspect you would be better off finishing. It's NOT too late for you to go back and get your HSC (and maybe progress beyond that). In fact, it will never be easier for you than it is now. It will, of course, be hard to go back, but once you are working full time (whatever it is), it will be much, much harder.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

--Rick
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Hello Sam Griffin, my advice (and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee) is to finish your schooling. Or, take your dad's advice and work in a bar. Working in the bar will achieve two things. 1- you will be earning a living (and Dad won't be so worried about your welfare) and 2- you will have an opportunity to study people, something that can only help you when you must deal with the public in your future performances of Magic. All I can really say is, listen to your Dad, he has an investment in you and Loves you and he has your best interests at heart.
Best of Luck
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
I think you should go to school
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
Finish school. Work in a bar part-time. The degree and experience you get in school are beneficial will follow you the rest of your life. After the tech crash here in California, I fell back on an unused JD and became a lawyer 10 years after graduation. My life is much better for it.

Also, in school you'll get the opportunity to study theater and drama with professionals, which can only improve your magic work.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Sam
I know that Universal Japan hires lots of entertainers/actors from Australia. Finish school somehow and have some fun. Get a job in a bar (Like Dad said), work on your magic skills, and take some acting classes. You've got lots of choices it seems. Hanging out in Osaka for a year might be fun too.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Burden Of Age (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL