The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego - Torched and Restored (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I just received the curriculum for Children's Sunday School for August. One of the lessons is the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace. I am thinking of using Brent Braun's "Torched and Restored" effect to illustrate.

I will need to make up some note cards with pictures of the three men and go through the routine with the appropriate story.

Does anyone have any further ideas, suggestions to enhance this?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
You can always find good clip art online to customize props like that
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
This reminds me of a story I was told about a young man telling his Mom about his Sunday School lesson. It turns out the teacher told them about "Sad Sack, My Shack and a billy goat"
Kids have a great way of paraphrasing. Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Just don't forget the fourth man Smile (It would be hard since there are 4 corners to the card anyway) And that man was The Son of Man!

I love the concept Doug, and there aren't many folks who enjoy perfroming with fire more than me....except around younger children. I have a real concern that one of the little darlings will decide to try to imitate the magician. And if they do, I don't want it to be with fire. Maybe I am being too prideful in thinking that I perform well enough that they might actually want to copy me, but it is a concern to me, nonetheless.

I have thought about it, and I am afraid I don't have an alternative to offer, unless you did something with three silks in a silk cabbie, which you decorate temporarily as a Fiery furnace (without the fire, of course) or just call it that, and then take out four silks tied together (maybe even tied in a circle?) representing the three of them, and Christ who was with them in the fire.

Again, I really like the application of Torched and Restored, it fits very well. I just don't like a lighter being openly used in front of kids. But that may just be me. I almost burned a house down when I was five, playing with matches. And that isn't a memory that fades much even after more than 50 years. So maybe it is just me...

Anyway, if your Sunday School group is old enough, and you are comfortable that they will heed your "Don't try this at home" request, it would be an interesting presentation and effect.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
BroDavid; The "Fourth Man" certainly won't be forgotten and I was actually going to add a self-adhesive picture to the group of three when discussing the story.

Thank you very much for the caution about using fire in front of children. I made me stop and realize that I was so enthusiastic about the story, the method and the impact that I never considered the possible negative side.

Perhaps an alternate handling such as letting on of the children draw flames on the card with a red marker will suffice. I will put some thought and prayer into this. Thanks again

Blessings Bro
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego - Torched and Restored (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL