The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie routine questions / feedback (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Hi everyone,

I'm not entirely new to magic, but I'm new to taking it seriously and new to having goals higher than "learn a few tricks."
I'm working on a short routine that will allow me to tell a story while trying to learn slights, presentation and performance skills.
However, I'm feeling a little blocked and am hoping some kind souls will lend insight, either here or via PM.

Here's the basics of what I'm working on:

The basic theme is around having a life vision... dreaming big.

I open with a single coin vanish, rubbing coin away at finger tips, pretending it has changed to a tiny seed - "we've ground down our dreams so that our lives are just a seed of what we once thought possible". Produce by grabbing fingers with other hand or placing "seed" in open palm, depending on angles. "If we reach for these 'seeds of possibility' and hold on tight... we may just surprise ourselves..."

My original follow up was to fold the coin up in paper... "some have packed up their dreams for another time, but time burns faster than we think, taking our dreams with it..." - and burn it normally or use flash paper (have yet to try flash paper... sounds a bit scary, especially with a 3-yr-old at home). However, this doesn't seem very practical/legal in public spaces these days. (Am I wrong?)

Anyway, that would leave me clean and I would grab another coin from my pocket and switch it into a key "some have placed control of their dreams in others' hands... essentially locking up their dreams and throwing away the key..."

Other effects I have planned for the routine:
- Cut/restored string (representing "frayed" parts of our lives that we must face)
- CMH - "We all feel trapped and stretched thin, but we can break free..."
- Disappearing rubberband - "Some should embrace that which traps them... to realize it was a part of them all along"

So I'm looking for input on these and other effects that would be a good fit and are within my skill range, or slightly above.
Appropriate g'd effects, some kind of finale, more building up of effects, etc.

What would be good replacements for the burning section above that still leave me clean for the key change? Some kind of examinable copper/silver?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
Mike Mitrovich
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, I can't advise you on the fire laws of your municipality. You will have to find those out yourself. But I've never had trouble with a bit of flash paper in the US. (Flash and smoke pots are another story-- to use those in public in most areas you are required to have a pyrotechnic license.)

Not knowing the ponts you are really trying to push here, I'm not sure what else to advise you. Myself, I might consider a miser's dream, combined with a clink-noise maker and do something about spending all your time gathering wealth only to see it vanish just as fast Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Thanks Cyberqat!

Good to know on the flash paper. I will have to pick some up and experiment.
Is it safe to carry a sheet or 2 (just large enough to fold around a half dollar) of the stuff around in a breast pocket or is that asking for trouble? I should probably search info on that separately.

As far as the theme, I'm using the coins as more of a metaphor. Coin = our dreams/hopes for the future... the person we want to be, unrelated to money itself. Not to represent financial economy, but more the economy of time and choice and how we spend it... the things that hold us back from being who God created us to be (I am a Jesus follower, but not looking to convert anyone with this routine, hehe).

For instance, the things that "wear down" the coin in the first effect include "other people's opinions, laziness, fear of failure, busyness, etc).

I'll definitely consider a miser's dream idea, since the desire for money certainly fits on that list.

Thanks again!
Mike
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
It depend on the flash paper as to how dangerous it is to have it go off unexpectedly on you. But let me tell you a cautionary tale...

In high school I bought my first hand-cannon, and Iw as so in love with it I used to carry it in my hip pocket loaded. One day, without thinking about it I put my keys in the same pocket and, in the middle of 4th period class, the keys bridged the contacts on the cannon and it went off in my pocket.

Burned a nice hole in the fabric of the pocket and put a blister on my leg. Luckily nothing worse, but it wasn't a fun experience.

Since that day I have ALWAYS treated ANY fire prop with the utmost respect. All my flash paper and other fire props and flammable supplies live in a locked sentry fire chest that I take with me to performances. I take them out just before I am going to use them and put them back right after.

There are minor burns and worse burns, but unless you are a masochist, there is no such thing as a GOOD burn!
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
HEHE, thanks for that... I will learn from your mistake!
I would think lighting my crotch on fire might deaden my desire to perform magic a bit. Not to mention other desires of more interest to my wife!

Yikes.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
To quote Don Adams... "Missed it by *that* much."

(If you don't get the quote it just means your younger then me Smile )
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Well, I'm probably younger than you (I'm 36), but Get Smart was on my list of faves on the oldies channel... along with The Rifle Man, Dennis the Menace and Wild Wild West.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 14:17, Cyberqat wrote:
To quote Don Adams... "Missed it by *that* much."

(If you don't get the quote it just means your younger then me Smile )

"All right, would you believe ... *that* much?"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yeah Im 11 years older then you... Wild Wild West and Get Smart are two of my all time favorite shows I saw as a kid (along with the original Star Trek)
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Ok, picked up some flash paper from the local magic shop so I can experiment this weekend. Here's to not burning down the house or lighting my crotch on fire... will make sure not to sit next to the heater on the bus for the commute home tonight.

Also picked up an Inv deck since I think it will work well with my routine... dreams becoming reality, etc.

-Mike
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Oh yeah ID could work well for that. I use a somewhat similar patter about magic being all about imagination Smile
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
Sounds like you are on the right track. For money... you may also want to incorporate the 'spring bills' (similar to spreing flowers, but with bills).
A finale.... WHAT would represent the 'final lesson'? End result, etc.
Magically,

Chris Rochow
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Hehe, I was excited to practice this weekend, but ran into 2 issues:

1. some of my ID cards came a little buckled, so not working as well as I had hoped.
Putting some heavy books on the deck to see if that fixes them today.
Otherwise I'll take them back in on Monday and see if they'll replace (or show me what I'm doing wrong, but buckled cards seems the obvious culprit to me since it's specific cards giving me trouble.)

2. I bought a 3" flash paper pad, thinking it was a perfect size, but it's entirely too small to use with halves.
Don't carry a lot of change, so having trouble tracking down quarters so I can at least practice with the paper I bought.
Time to dig through the couch cushions!

Was thinking the ID would be my closer for now... the routine talks about all the ways we neglect our hopes/dreams, then end with ID as an exercise in how "visualizing our dreams can manifest a new reality." But ending with ID seems like it would put more attention on the deck than I'd want, so probably want one or 2 final effects to follow it. Maybe one non-card with one more final card trick, giving me time to switch decks, so the ID is less suspicious.

Still noodling on this one. Meanwhile, I'm having run working on presentation.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 13:42, penitentman wrote:
Hehe, I was excited to practice this weekend, but ran into 2 issues:

1. some of my ID cards came a little buckled, so not working as well as I had hoped.
Putting some heavy books on the deck to see if that fixes them today.
Otherwise I'll take them back in on Monday and see if they'll replace (or show me what I'm doing wrong, but buckled cards seems the obvious culprit to me since it's specific cards giving me trouble.)

I use my extra special super duper book press to straighten out my cards... its also 2 large hardback books Smile Always works well for me Smile

Quote:
2. I bought a 3" flash paper pad, thinking it was a perfect size, but it's entirely too small to use with halves.
Don't carry a lot of change, so having trouble tracking down quarters so I can at least practice with the paper I bought.
Time to dig through the couch cushions!

Well, I guess it depends on whether you want to wrap the half or just produce some flash Smile If you look around you should be able o get Fp in full size sheets of paper. You can certainly order it online but your local magic shop should be able to get soem for you if they don't have it regularly in stock..

Quote:
Was thinking the ID would be my closer for now... the routine talks about all the ways we neglect our hopes/dreams, then end with ID as an exercise in how "visualizing our dreams can manifest a new reality." But ending with ID seems like it would put more attention on the deck than I'd want, so probably want one or 2 final effects to follow it. Maybe one non-card with one more final card trick, giving me time to switch decks, so the ID is less suspicious.

A single deck switch is pretty easy, you can do a jacket pocket-swap while turning away to do something else, or even drop it into your pocket, do something and then pull the other out as if you are retrieving the dropped one. Just make sure you can tell the difference between them by touch if you are doing the latter Smile

Quote:
Still noodling on this one. Meanwhile, I'm having run working on presentation.

I always enjoyed the routining part of the process a lot . have fun!
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Penitentman,

It sounds like you're well on your way. And it sounds like we're in just about the same boat: I'm also 36 and I've only recently become quite serious about what used to be an occasional hobby. I'm hoping to start performing actively next year.

In any case, I like your theme and your routine so far. If you're moving to cards at the end you might consider some sort of triumph effect: the idea of making order from chaos might play well with your theme. Also, I wouldn't worry about closing with the ID. On the contrary, it's such a powerful effect that I find it's hard to follow. I've only had a few people ask to inspect it, and if you use it as a closer you can very quickly move to, "Thank you very much! It's been a pleasure performing for you," and box the deck up and ditch it in your pocket as you speak, not even giving your audience a chance to ask for a closer look.

Have fun!

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
In fact if its your only card trick and you want to have soem fun in a parlor or similar informal setting setting....

Keep a normal deck with the same back in your kit. Drop the ID into your kit when done and then, when packing up, "absent-mindedly" take the real deck "back out" and lay it aside while you are putting other stuff away.

If anyone picks it up and examines it, it will only further convince them of its fairness Smile

Edit: Btw, I use a deck dropper with mine to make it appear in my hands when they toss it back to me. I rather like this added little "punch" Smile
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 22:51, Cyberqat wrote:
In fact if its your only card trick and you want to have soem fun in a parlor or similar informal setting setting....

Keep a normal deck with the same back in your kit. Drop the ID into your kit when done and then, when packing up, "absent-mindedly" take the real deck "back out" and lay it aside while you are putting other stuff away.

If anyone picks it up and examines it, it will only further convince them of its fairness Smile

Edit: Btw, I use a deck dropper with mine to make it appear in my hands when they toss it back to me. I rather like this added little "punch" Smile

I really like the idea of "absent-mindedly" taking the real deck "back out" and laying it aside. I'm going to give it a shot. And I've been thinking of getting myself a deck-dropper, too. I imagine that the added punch is well worth the $35.
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Not much to reports since my last post, but pressing the troublesome cards seems to be helping.
A couple are still be finicky.

Any other tips for removing a bend in ID cards? I've heard some people drop a pack of cards in the butter tray of their fridge... is there merit to this or will that make things worse?

Did most of my routine for my wife this weekend... my first time doing it all for another person. The growled "How do you DO that?" tells me my mechanics are decent, just need to keep working on presentation.

Thanks for all the help so far!

-Mike
penitentman
View Profile
New user
Edmonds, WA
19 Posts

Profile of penitentman
Working on this little routine has helped me in many ways already:

• Given me specific things to practice repeatedly with an end goal in mind
  • Gave me something to "break the ice" with on these forums, which led to...
  • Great encouragement and feedback from "regulars" (Cyberqat and mb217, I'm looking at you)
  • It has improved my magic and is helping me stay focussed
  • It's continuing to help me understand my more general or over-arching goals beyond the routine itself.

So if any other newbies are playing around with learning some tricks, I certainly recommend trying to put them together in a routine if you aren't already!

I KNOW I'm serious now... I bought a TT today at the local magic shop after trying on about 20 to find a good fit, and I sent in my membership form to the IBM yesterday. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie routine questions / feedback (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL