The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fabulous news (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I think what we're overlooking here is that the lesbian in question was a soccer coach. Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. Kind of like the Asian woman who switched lanes without using her blinker on the freeway this morning. You're perpetuating two stereotypes, lady!
I mean, what does she do besides coach soccer, gender diversity classes? Wymmin's studies?
Did she have a mullet and Birkenstock's and drive a Subaru? Soccer coach. Pft. Just set your sisters back 100 years.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 04:16, RS1963 wrote:
That is a very good post Jeff and very true. There will be some that still won't be able to grasp the fact you pointed out however.

I understand his point but some times the religious conviction is something that opresses (sp) other people. Let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago that the Catholic Church used the Bible (specifically the story of Ham) to justify slavery. Would we still want the church to stand up for that conviction?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ed
I wasn't going to go there, but Galileo was inprisoned by the church for saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
And people have actually defended the Church for taking that stand!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Destiny said: "Nature discriminates, life discriminates, people discriminate. I think our laws should stop people injuring or disadvantaging others because of their personal dislikes, but I am against the law attempting to compel people to like others - that is a nonsense."

Did I miss something here? The woman was fired. Lost her livelihood. Because she was gay. What does that have to do with compelling people to like others? Indeed it's just what you said about not injuring or disadvantaging others.

Jeff said: "But why gang up on people? Why not let them believe as they wish to believe? As long as they do not seek to use social, political, or legal institutions to push those beliefs on to others, why not leave them alone?"

Ganged up is a loaded term. They (some of the students and a trustee) were protesting for justice, stating what they believed. They were hardly disinterested parties.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Stoneunhinged: I think we are in more agreement than both of us realize, it is my way of stating things that cloud my meaning. I don't really have a label ie: Libertarian, Republican, Democrat etc... I am just me and I have my opinions (right or wrong). I don't care what other's believe or what they do as long as doesn't interfere with the safety and freedom of other's. I base a lot of my believes and opinions on my own experiences, not by what I read in a book (not a slam against you or anyone, just explaining a little of how my reptilian mind works). Bottom line is, I don't care what other's do. I will listen then make up my own mind.

EsnRedshirt: I agree about the faulty parenting but part of that bad parenting is the judgment of other's with the possibility of being at least investigated for child abuse by the authorities. It also doesn't help that with the economic climate of today, both parents must work, leaving their children to fend for themselves or be cared for by others.
I smacked my Daughter on her behind when she was about 1 1/2 years old because she was walking into the street (one hit that hurt my hand). Other than that one time, I have not spanked or hit my Daughter. While there was a spark of truth to my statement about schools hitting kids, I don't believe that anyone but a parent should hit a kid. So often people talk about cause and effect so I just thought I would throw that in.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 12:30, landmark wrote:

Did I miss something here? The woman was fired. Lost her livelihood. Because she was gay.

Do you know the terms of her contract?

Most Christian schools--at least the more fundamentalist ones--have very strict terms in their contract. They must make a profession of faith, belong to (and be active in) a church, and explicitly adhere to a particular set of moral beliefs.

Now, should a gay person wish to work for such a school, more power to 'em, I'd say. But if they sign the contract under false pretenses, I'd say that they are taking the risk of being fired or losing their livelihood if found out.

And yes, "ganged up" is a loaded term. I meant it to be. I'm usually quite careful about what I write. (It depends how sober I am. But it's February, and I never drink alcohol in February.)

But in the spirit of full disclosure, I will admit that I did not read the original article posted by GDW.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
HA! I just read the article, and realised we're not talkinga about some little Christian high school somewhere, but a "university".

Hm. Not sure if that changes my opinion or not, but it certainly wasn't what I was thinking.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 11:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 06:52, irossall wrote:
That is called democracy in my country.

What country is that?

Public pressure has nothing to do with truth, only with orthodoxy. We forget the difference to our detriment.

Regarding my faulty understanding of "libertarianism": the foundation of toleration, both philosophically and historically--from Locke to Roger Williams to Jefferson and so on--is freedom of belief. What did Jefferson say? "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." A libertarian may wish to prefer just about anything to government enforcement of something. But to what end, if not to protect liberty of conscience? Taking GDW's logic (which is very poor, IMHO), it is preferable for us to gang up on people to squeeze them into a politically correct position than to leave them alone, lest the government become involved.

But why gang up on people? Why not let them believe as they wish to believe? As long as they do not seek to use social, political, or legal institutions to push those beliefs on to others, why not leave them alone?

Destiny is right that I am a very tolerant man. If you want to believe in God, or Satan, or Cthulhu, or all of them together, what is that to me? If your beliefs are offensive--say, you think gay people are perverts--how is that going to restrict my right to be gay? Beliefs can be dangerous--very dangerous indeed. But the best prevention against intolerance or stupidity is a maximum freedom of the exchange of ideas, which requires freedom to have different ideas in the first place.

I myself am not a libertarian. Nor am I a relativist. I am simply convinced that all attempts to coerce others to believe in a certain way are unethical and ultimately destructive of the foundation of liberal society. And that would include forcing a Christian high school--whether through law or public pressure--to compromise what they believe to be true. And I always thought (apparently wrongly) that libertarianism comes closest to this view somehow. Pardon my mistake.

Stoneunhinged, the difference between forcing via government/law vs speaking out against something would be at the foundation of libertarianism.

Also, this was not about trying to force anyone change their beliefs. It was about the customers of the service the school provides standing up and saying they don't like how they are doing business.

No one forced anyone to do anything. What they did do was use their own freedom to express how they felt.

How is condemning the alleged actions/principles of the school any different than you condemning said criticism?

Also, as for your idea of not trying to convince anyone to change what the believe, what if they believed that human sacrifice was the way to please their god? Is there a line, and if so, what objectively defines it?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I honestly don't know why I bothered.

I'm going to bed. Night, folks!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Stone, as I am sure you understand, based on what you said, that beliefs inform actions.

Again, at least from my understanding, this was not about changing beliefs, but actions/policy.

"I am a very tolerant man. If you want to believe in God, or Satan, or Cthulhu, or all of them together, what is that to me? If your beliefs are offensive-- say, you think gay people are perverts--how is that going to restrict my right to be gay? Beliefs can be dangerous--very dangerous indeed. But the best prevention against intolerance or stupidity is a maximum freedom of the exchange of ideas, which requires freedom to have different ideas in the first place. intolerance or stupidity is a maximum freedom of the exchange of ideas, which freedom of the exchange of ideas, which requires freedom to have different ideas in the first place."

I agree completely.

The thing is, this WAS an exchange of ideas. This was entirely the expression of the beliefs of those who disagreed with what the school allegedly did.

What good is freedom of belief if you can't express that belief? And if you are free to express that belief, others are free to criticize it and/or offer alternative/contrary ideas.

If your neighbour believes homosexuality is perverse, you're right, it does not affect your right to be gay. It also doesn't affect your right to not associate with them. Similarly, I have a right to not associate with him if he treats you badly because you're gay.
It also doesn't affect my right to express my belief that him treating you badly is wrong.

That's what, supposedly, was done.

I really am confused as to how you find criticizing the school any different than criticizing those who criticized the school.

I'm not really trying to criticize you myself, though I probably did. I'm trying to understand your position. From much of what you said, I think I agree with a lot of your position, but this part I'm not understanding.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 10:17, irossall wrote:
Quote:
When I went to grade school corporal punishment was a common practice in the class room, and encouraged by parents, but now a parent, or teacher can get into a lot of trouble for beating children.

Maybe we should go back to corporal punishment. In the day's of spanking kids in school, the big problems with the kids were an occasional fight, playing hookie, chewing gum in class and running in the hall.
Now that we have prohibited the schools from smacking our kids and also made it very difficult for parents to discipline their own, we have new problems in school, like packing a gun in school, shootings, and stabbings. It has gotten to the point that some teacher's have feared so much for their lives that they have taken guns to class themselves.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" I say smack the little demon's, knock some sense into their heads
Iven Smile

How about criminal charges?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLGw_-NI......d#at=155

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I misunderstood a little - if the school voluntarily changed it's policy or was prompted to by discussion with it's customers - that is fine - as long as the school - or university - was not compelled by law to change. I still worry we are taking discrmination too far. I dread the day my Magical Association of Godless Irreverant Conjurors (MAGIC) has to accept Gospel Magicians as members because they want to learn some decent tricks.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 01:23, Destiny wrote:
I dread the day my Magical Association of Godless Irreverant Conjurors (MAGIC) has to accept Gospel Magicians as members because they want to learn some decent tricks.

Exactly.

My position above, BTW, was based on two misunderstandings:

1. I understood "public" pressure to be outside pressure. The OP said, "public outcry and protests".

2. I understood the "school" to be a secondary school. Secondary Christian schools are usually exentions of a local church. A "public outcry" against the doctrinal beliefs of a particular church and its school is something I have a problem with.

A "public outcry" against those beliefs in general, rather than an attempt to restore employment to a woman who had very likely violated the terms of her contract, would be acceptable, IMO. (Though I still feel compelled to point out that a "public outcry" is often just the spiritedness of an angry mob, and is nothing to celebrate.)

Whereas many of you seem to agree that the government getting involved would be objectionable, I seem to be alone in thinking that a mob getting involved would also be objectionable.

Maybe it's an odd position. I've been told that I'm an odd man.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I think it would depend on how the mob was "involved," that is, as far as me agreeing with you, but I think I do.

I have no problem with people gathering and speaking out. As long as they are not infringing on anyone directly, or their property.

I think we seem to be much more in agreement now, and the contention sprang from my initial wording, so I apologize for the confusion I caused.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fabulous news (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL