The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Display and storage of cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi, I'm new to cup collection, what are the choices for storing cups of different materials (wood, leather and metals) other than displaying them?
Thanks
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Stick them in a drawer or cupboard, I guess.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I have a couple of these Francis, you also have the option to fit lighting inside:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055
Bri

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 2:37am
There's a pic of them with cups in here to give you and idea of what they look like:
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Brian-Watson.html

Bri
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Will the metal cups be warped if we stack them lying down horizontally one set on rop of another? Thanks
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 02:37, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
There's a pic of them with cups in here to give you and idea of what they look like:
http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Brian-Watson.html

Bri

Nice collection you have there!
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
66 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
I can vouch for the Ikea cabinet that Bri suggested. I have one and it works great! And with the Ikea light, the price was right. I also like that it's mostly glass so it allows for maximum visibility.

Rob
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I keep a few Cups on display on the bookshelves in the home office and have made display boxes for a few. I keep most of my Cups in bags stored within those shoe box sized photo boxes one can get from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They keep them safe and dust free; from time to time I will rotate the Cups as to how they are stacked in their bags to try to keep the patina even.

Every few months I will wax or oil wooden Cups to keep them from drying out… I live in a dry climate.

One day I plan to have my magic room and display my collection on shelves or display cases like Bri uses.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 02:49, francisngkl wrote:
Will the metal cups be warped if we stack them lying down horizontally one set on rop of another? Thanks

Not if they are made of a good, solid metal. Why lay them down horizontally? Stack them upright. That's a lot safer.

If you have silver or silver plated cups, either put them in a ziplock bag or into a plastic box that is airtight.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bill, I'd talked a bit with Pete about this when I was in L.A. in January. Do you have all 814,000 cups in your collection on display somewhere? I'm just trying to imagine what that would look like.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
About 90% of them are on display on bookshelves. The rest are in boxes on a set of shelves.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
I live in an apartment and space is really a constraint. I will have to custom make more shelves for all the cups I have. Hate to put the cups through any discomfort, but this against the growing patina on the face of my another single collection of 20 years through marriage, a tough call...

Francis
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to store them on their sides, get some good cardboard boxes. That will put the stress on the cardboard and not on the metal. Atlernatively, you can get some kind of box for storing glassware. This will allow you to put some of the cups on display and other cups away.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Will do, thanks all.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bri :

Nice website.....and nice storage/display layout for your cups too. Impressive collection you have there. Which are your favourites (a) to just look at and (b) to actually use?

Fortasse
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks Sean! It's actually an old photo, it's doubled since then (and yes I am in trouble with Mrs W!)

The set of cups I use (literally) daily without exception are Jim Sisti original working pro's.
I like to look at them all but it's also nice to use certain cups for certain routines.

For instance, if I feel like doing the original Vernon routine, straight from the book (without my own handlings or additions) I will use the cups the Stanley sold he sold at the lectures or the House of Veroni (Ken Brooke) ones, more for nostalgia.

For my own routines I tend to use the Sisti's and / or Sherwoods.

I think I am at a point where I need to decide if I am a collector or not though. Many of the cups I have bought have been for research purposes, I have come up with a good few original ideas / moves / variations etc and I need to see what cups they will / wont work with.

Bri
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bri…
Yes… that’s it, research purposes… just keep telling yourself that… mine are purely scientific… LOL.

Bruce
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi Bri,
Focus on research, let me help you with the cups...

Francis
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Well, I added a little more "research" to my collection over the weekend too Smile You all have such little faith in me!!!!! Smile

Bri
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Display and storage of cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL