The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What's your experience with Gigmasters? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cotu
View Profile
New user
Bakersfield, Ca
6 Posts

Profile of Cotu
I'm starting out with stage hypnosis, shifting from Stand-up and Improv, and am looking to market myself. One avenue seems to be gigmasters.com, there may be similar services but they seem to have a handle on SEO and I know of at least one local club owner that uses it. Others seem to feel it only finds bargain hunters.

On the magic side of these forums most reviews are good. The jobs they describe are smaller close-up and parlor type shows. Just starting out I am more interested in gaining experience than worried about how much money I get. Money is an issue however and with the 100 mile limit on their entry level listing I am wondering if it will pay for it's self.
What have you nice folks found?

Brian Parks
brianparks.com
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/ a wealth of resources.

His guide to modern stage hypnosis is good - more about getting gigs, running a business and making a show work, than the actual hypnosis side of things.

Good luck in your venture Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This has been talked about endlessly here on the Café. When you get enough posts, use the search function and you will find the answers to all of your questions. As with all Gigmasters type of services you get out of it what you put into it. If you work the leads, are priced right and have a tight show you may get bookings. DJs and magicians are two of their most populated headings of entertainment so you will have much competition targeting the same jobs. You will also get many leads that simply do not apply to you or your profile if you take the small 100 mile package. Those that I know have had the best success with GM are those who take and work nationwide listings, although competition still is great.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
A lot of people don't like Gigmasters, they seem to get me work though. Sometimes I resent the fact that they outrank my own websites for local gigs but overall I think I work more because they are there (and because I am a member) so I think it is all about how you choose to look at it, positively or negatively. The venues will range in size from birthday parties to corporate blow-out events. And don't worry about the bidding system and someone lowballing, there are plenty of people out there that know that "they get what they pay for". And if you are new and don't have great web presence (ie good website, professional photos, videos etc) then you might very well have to be one of those guys taking the low end gigs at first.

As for the distance setting, I agree with Mindpro. Go with the Nationwide package. If your going to take the time to set up your profile with pics, videos, text etc. (and I would not waste my time and money if I were you unless you have all of the above) then you might as well "go big or go home" as your time is as valuable as your money in my opinion.

If you don't have a video yet, get one! Personally I can't imagine bidding against other performers who can "show and tell" with a video and not having one. Volunteer for a charity, have an in home party (dress it up with a good back-drop and hire a descent camera person with an HD camera) Then once you have the video you can compete on GM (assuming one has a descent video/act)

That's my two cents...

Keir

http://www.WichitaComedyMagician.com
Cotu
View Profile
New user
Bakersfield, Ca
6 Posts

Profile of Cotu
Thanks for the input guys,

For now, I think I'll just be that low-baller on GgMstrs. Push fundraisers etc. as a Medium-baller. I'm a funny guy onstage even the show with only 1 lively somnambulista got lots of laughs. Once the show is where I want it to be I'll go up the food chain. (go big) If I get any traction within the 100 miles I'll upgrade. That's over a million people, (Hollywood to Fresno) it should be a sufficient test market.

@Owen Mc Ginty, I took Geoff's class last spring. I've posted on the forums. I was hoping for a different point of view. I followed his steps to get bar gigs. The thing of 'I take the cover you sell more drinks' was a dead end for many reasons. I'll just beat the pavement till one will just pay me to play. SHC has lots to offer, allot of expertise, can't say I'm crazy about the way he markets it. Guerilla marketing techniques are plentiful on the net. Trial and error is cheaper sometimes slower, but you learn more. Pointers from kind folks on forums like this are very helpful. I hope one day to be knowledgeable enough to make helpful comments.

@MindPro a search of 'You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...' got only one return. I wasn't able to search all forums at once. The observations of magicians on the other topics I tried was interesting but I was hoping for something more specific. Stage Hypnotism is a slightly different niche.

Thanks again.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I´m sorry to hear Geoffs approach didn´t work for you.
I´m about to start trying that same approach, if you have any "do´s and don´ts" that your experience has taught you I´d be interested to hear them Smile

Sorry I couldn´t be of more help. I´m in Spain and the stage hypnosis industry here is hard to find any info on (or seems that way to me).
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Try searching the Tricky Business and Inner Thoughts forums. I believe you can do an all forums search as well. One of the problems with your question on this forum is the recent influx of European members who will have little or no interest or access to Gigmasters, and will be more than likely unfamiliar with it or it's possible results.

Just out of curiousity I would be interested in learning more about your opinion on what you said above about SHC and Geoffrey's - "I followed his steps to get bar gigs. The thing of 'I take the cover you sell more drinks' was a dead end for many reasons." What was your experience or take on his methods?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I started doing this about 20 years ago. And I had a lot of success. Here are a few things that might help.

First of all look at the footflow. Are these bars in areas where lots of yung people go out for a drink? Do the bars have a function room with a dancefloor? Do these bars/hotels ( don't restrict yourself to bars)already book some form of entertainmen? Bands, singers, disco's etc? ~I used to go the offices of my national newspaper. In there I could look through back copies of regional papers. I was looking for ads that had bands, comedians whatever advertised by the venue.

I would then phone them up and say... " I was wondering if you would like to have a hypnotist at your venue...it normally costs £400 however I have a special arrangement just now whereby you don't pay me anything. I just take whatever comes in at the door you get the drink,,,I will even supply you with posters and tickets...there is no risk if it doesn't work you can cancel and owe nothing"

I would book about 10 gigs this way. A few of them fell apart but most were successful and it got me started. I also made more money than I would have asked for on some of them.

you need to be choosey about the bars. The best ones are the ones that already have some kind of entertainment on certain nights, advertise and have a room with a dance floor.

I wouldn't do shows in bars that didn't have a "function room". With at least capacity to seat 80 upwards, and a dancefloor or space for 8-10 seats for volunteers.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Owen, I don't know what it's like up in Valencia, but if you travel south to Benidorm there's openings for stage hypnosis there. If I remember right the money was NOT great but you could easily do 20 - 25 gigs a week and it plays, as you've probably heard, 52 weeks of the year.
As the saying goes: "Todo esta bien en Benidorn, siempre!"

Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I tried bendorm. It stunk. Who would want to do 25 gigs a week? But you wouod probably need to to survive with what they pay. I went in to see a bar (mind you this was a long long time ago) Showed them my poster hated the place and the sleazy guy. A few nights later he has my poster up to attract people to the bar! They don't care if you do a good show bad show or what.

But Bobsrr is right there are opportunities. Just walk off the street and talk to owners. Its not rocket science you don't need info. You don't even need to be good they don't care they just want people in their bars.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I´m compiling a list of prospects right now. Thanks for the suggestion Bobser, but Seville is a little far removed from Alicante (about 600km). I used to live very near Alicante - similar market to the coast around malaga (lots of sunburnt British folk and Germans!). For now I don´t want to quit the day job and holiday season is a bit far off just yet so right now I´m going to hit places around Seville.
Nice tactic of Mindpunisher´s checking out advertisements to get direct to places used to booking entertainment - better than knocking on doors asking people to start booking entertainers - think I´ll use that one!

Cheers lads.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Oops sorry, For some reason I got Seville mixed up with Valencia!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Hire a venue and do regular shows and build a following. Even MP has a following, lol. ;-) If you are starting a business you invest some cash. "SHOW" is a business. Too many people forget that in my experience.

I stopped doing paid gigs years ago. They never pay what you are worth. The Ronning model works to a degree but you need a good supply of venues.

Hiring a hotel function room in the UK is cost effective in holiday areas.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You also find most hotels and bars have function rooms that give for free especially on a quiet night. I used to have a good following but I started back up last summer. And only now marketing to Uni's.

But Jon is right you don't get what you are worth these days....gee I miss the 90s...money coming out of my ears.

Its why I am looking at other things.
Cotu
View Profile
New user
Bakersfield, Ca
6 Posts

Profile of Cotu
What I have found out about the nightlife here in Bakersfield is that about 50 places offer some kind of entertainment. In most places it's Karaoke one night a week and maybe a Dj on Fri & Sat. 10 or 12 offer live music one or two nights. Cover charges are very rare. No comedy clubs or other places with variety acts. A couple of successful magicians live in the area but rarely perform here. The Magic Castle is 2 hours south in Hollywood. Thurston is playing there tonight I think.
The plan I was using assumes a few things 1)That media outlets crave stories and since this is unusual it's easier. Not here. I worked it. I have contacts and I worked them. I did one TV Morning TV show. No effect. 2) Posters work. The University and Jr College both have bulletin boards for posters. Some stores will let you put up a poster. Not only is that time consuming but costs allot in gas. 1 in 3 stores will let you put one up, half of those are gone by the next day. Outside and public spaces carry a big fine for each poster they find. 3) That the audience exists and just needs to be found. Only 3 or 4 places have a decent sized crowd any night. (these places are packed on Friday and Saturday) The people come to drink, dance, tell lies and get lucky. Sitting in one place and watching a show . . if it was just a matter of doing more promotion . . I don't have an interest in changing the local club culture.

I'm hoping to find a place to run the show once or twice a month and build and audience over time. All the hotel chains are here but they are more like motels with no restaurant or night club. The 2 that are like real hotels may have the function rooms you speak of. You know more about it than I do MP but I'm skeptical. I'll ask for sure.
I do have other performance skills and am cooking up something unusual that will get me a little cash flow and more exposure. If it works.

Otherwise Fundraisers, Party/event planners, Caterers and like that is where my energy is going next. I wanted to get my chops and polish the show in front of smaller less sober crowds, but trial by fire will have to work.
Maybe gigmasters. They do offer that 30 day money back guarantee.

Thanks for the conversation everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What's your experience with Gigmasters? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL