The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Thank you for having me le me introduce myself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CharlaineC
View Profile
New user
rhode island
61 Posts

Profile of CharlaineC
I first want to thank everyone for having me here. My name is Charlaine, I’m in my 30’s and a retired and disabled veteran. I have been interested in magic for well over 20+ years with the Tarbell course being the first real lesions in magic I had ever seen after buying them at a yard sale for $5 bucks. Most of my props are or where home made with some being bought from children’s kits. Other made out of cardboard and other scrap woods. I took a break from magic as I delved in some of my many other hobbies. While stationed in Iraq I started doing basic tricks for the kids. Cups and balls, card tricks and sponge balls. After coming home from Iraq most of my interest in magic was lost because of my ptsd and other issues. And only recently have it come back thankfully. Now I’m working to rebuild a small collection of props so that I might use magic to assist me in my healing. I suffer from a number of different ailments due to my service in Iraq. Besides magic I’m a big fly tier and fly fisherman, model rockets, and video games. I love to cook, read and learn.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome CharlainC,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Thank you for your service to our country. I hope Magic can help in your recovery.

You'd be surprised how much of my Magic is "home made". It can be fun to make Magic when the project is going well. It also makes your show look different than others.

I also ran into the Tarbell course as an adult. I don't think that's too unusual. Lots of kids like Magic and study it as kids but I don't think too many have The Tarbell Course as kids.

-Mary Mowder
CharlaineC
View Profile
New user
rhode island
61 Posts

Profile of CharlaineC
Thank you Mary it is much apreshiated. I will admit I'm not shure where my magic aptitude is as of yet though I've always been a fan of prop magic and everything though I will admit I'm not a huge fan of card tricks. Most likely because I'm not the best when it comes to dexterity.
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Welcome CharlainC
You've come to the right place to learn and make new friends. I would suggest you focus on what kind of audience you want to share your passion for magic with...that way you can plan a path that will concentrate on the props, music, costume, etc to accomplish that end result-entertaining a special audience that will appreciate your efforts and talents.
Best of Luck
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear CharlainC,

In my family I was always considered sort of clumsy with my hands (perhaps because I'm dyslexic).

Years of playing around with card flourishes have turned that impression around. I can't say I've really changed but it's nice to lose the clumsy rep.

Cards have given me more confidence.

-Mary Mowder
3M
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
59 Posts

Profile of 3M
Greetings to you and welcome! And thank you for your service. I'm an active duty Marine right now so I can understand what you're going through. Magic can be a wonderful remedy to many ailments not just for the performer but also for the audience. It's like laughter in a way. But you've definitely come to the right place to help you along your path whatever the end goal may be. Best wishes and good luck!

Semper Fi,
Fred
Semper Magus
winewizard
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of winewizard
What an honor to welcome a hero to the Café. I also am something of a cook. If you need some good recipes and magic let me know. May your recovery be hastened and your load be lightened by the friends you will find here. From the responses already posted, you are discovering this is a convocation of helpful people. I also have an impairment and if you need recommendations ask. Also many of the creators of magic are here and anxious to answer questions. I have always gotten prompt and honest responses.
Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Thank you for having me le me introduce myself (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL