The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » ICANDY review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Skill level?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Intermediate.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
I would say some are very easy (most) if you have basic skills. Others go up to Intermediate.

Most are very easy and one is even self working.

Hope this helps.

And thanks you again everyone. Its great to hear peoples thoughts.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Just to let everyone know My iFone 10 from the DVD was performed on British TV on Tuesday by Paul Zenon, just check out the program on Channel 4's iPlayer, it's on around the 12 minute mark. Paul added some real nice touches to the routine including a very funny 'hands free' touch!!

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Hi Lee

The DVD is brilliant. My best value purchase at the Blackpool convention this year.

Here's the url so you can all see Paul performing the trick.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/countdown/4od#3174584

Andi
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Thanks Andi, Paul Zenon had some great touches when he performed iFone 10 on the TV!

To answer a couple of PMs

If anyone uses Vanishing Point but like me very rarely carries a card-box when performing at gigs, why not use the spectator's glass, this is how I do it. This brilliant idea came from Mark Southworth.

James Brown and Lee Smith (who both use a card-box) perform the routine in the spectator's hands by asking them to hold their hands flat, the box is now placed onto their hands.

Thank you Mark and James for your great ideas.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all the people that have bought this DVD already. For your interest, Murphys will finally have this in stock during the next day or so.

By the way, Paul Zennon performed his version of iFone 10 at the NEC in front of an audience of 10,000 people a night recently!

Best,
Russ
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I just received iCandy yesterday, and having run through it a couple of times, it's a solid product that deservedly earned the Worker of the Week award from the Wizard Product Review.

First of all, this is worker material. I have been burned so many times that by now I avoid anybody who is a FISM winner, because I know the magic isn't practical. Every effect on here is designed for the guy working in real-world environments.

Something that struck me while watching this is the collaborative nature of the project. Usually the second magician sitting in on the explanation segment is just looking on, seeing the effect for the first time. The second magician is only added to avoid the awkwardness of a magician alone in the studio talking to no one, but in practical effect he might as well be a parrot or a potted plant. Here, though, the second magician often does the same effect in his strolling performances, so the viewer gets informed input, added tips, handling variations, and subtleties. John Carey contributes an effect and is mentioned several times. I get the impression of a group of high-caliber magicians collaborating and elevating the quality of their magic, as is evident on the DVD. It would be great if all magic products were hammered out by a group of top pros, rather the creation of a lone magician in the basement.

On to the effects.
Scoop: An impromptu Anniversary Waltz, without the gaff. Routines I've seen often have two specs sign the card, but the handling is so convoluted and the revelation is so immediate that the effect is "He rigged it so we both signed the same card" instead of "He fused our two cards together." There is a lot of magic happening here in this routine, culminating in a visible transfer of the signature from one card to another. The routine also adds the magician's name, and tips are given for performing at weddings.
Real commercial magic from two professional magicians constantly working to improve the effect. Great stuff.

Ring to Purse: I got the DVD for this, and it's even better than I thought. Imagine making a rattle purse for next to no cost. This could be the "Ring Flite" climax of a finger ring and string routine. It would also make a great segue to a coin routine. An audible routine like this isn't seen very often, but it's very powerful. I've already ordered my coin purse to do this effect.

No Sleep, Kickback Kings, Kickback Kicker: These three routines are similar in that they are fast and extremely visual. When I worked for tips, this is exactly the sort of material needed, very fast and hard-hitting. No gimmicks, no setup. These effects would be great for those times when the restaurant is swamped, and you're going from table to table as quickly as possible.

TN'T: This is a combination of mystery card and torn-and-restored plots. There is a lot of magic happening, and it's a fooler.

Eyephone 10: As mentioned on the Wizard Product Review, this was originally intended to be a stand-alone one trick DVD, as can be seen by the trailer in the middle of the DVD. This effect just screams commercial and fun. Lee Smith says he's not a comedy magician, but with the comedy potential of this effect, it allows him to expand in that direction. I think anyone with a pulse ought to be able to get laughs out of this.
I disagree with Lee's handling --to me, the strength of the effect is that the "phone" is in view the whole time. Gary Jones' handlings of the effect are preferable in my view. I still like the Aronson handling of Sideswiped, which uses a cross cut force and a single wild card "move," if it can even be called that.
Templates are included, with room for you to include your contact info. Lee explains how you can make the gaff with a hand-drawn phone.
This is a great routine that is memorable, visible (I could see this working on the platform), and capable of being adapted to the performer's own tastes and abilities. Kudos to Lee.

3c: I must admit that I am weary of all of the very similar two coins and a gimmick routines out there, in which the coins are produced, then vanished (but you never see the hands empty) and then reproduced, all for no apparent reason. To his credit, Gary is able to take this plot and make it shine. He opens with fire and gives a valuable tip for creating an impromptu "platform" for the trick, which is something you'll use even if you never perform this trick.
What is also commendable here is that all three coins are examined by the audience. I think this is critical when using gaffs like these. He produces coins from the two spectators' ears, and the routine climaxes with a very magical moment.
This is wonderful coin magic that involves the audience, something that all of the finger-flingers and move monkeys should take note of.

Vanishing Point: Credited to John Carey. Powerful effect, where the sandwich cards vanish ( and when I say "vanish" I'm talking knock your socks off vanish) and find the selection. Practical (FASDIU) and hard-hitting. Gary's version is also a keeper.

1 Short of a Full Deck: An sort of gaffless Brainwave effect. At one point Gary says, "I used to do a turnover pass --I thought, 'I don't need it.'" Words of wisdom. It's also interesting to see how he motivates the placement of the gaff next to the selection. More practical magic with a commercial hook.

3some: Not for me. I could see this routine playing better in a parlor setting. Unlike Lee's other material, it takes a while before there's a magical payoff.

6 Card Dunbury: Not really my effect, either, but Gary has some powerful hooks to engage the audience. In my philosophy of the game premise, the spectator always wins. Performers who win should keep in mind that it is easy to come across as a jerk. Gary is a good example of how to win in a challenge effect and comes across as likable.

Pocket to Pocket to Pocket: What a powerhouse ambitious card routine! It is highly visual and jam-packed with magic. In the performance you see Gary wow a real-world audience seated at a large table with this routine.

No Moves Coins Thru: Drop dead easy coins through table, which can also be done in the spec's hands. Although this isn't a beginner's DVD, a rookie without any gaffed coins and still trying to learn a finger palm could get the DVD and perform this routine. It's simple, but I think it looks as good as many of the highly gaffed, complicated coins-through-table routines out there.
I think the beginner and aspiring strolling magician could work through the effects on this DVD, learn them, and have a practical, solid repertoire just using the routines on this video.

This DVD really delivers a lot of value for the buck. It's refreshing to see a single DVD product that could have been a two or three DVD set. I feel like I've got plenty of usable material that will keep me busy for a while. I will definitely be performing routines from iCandy.

Highly recommended.
Tommytallica
View Profile
New user
uuuh jeg har skrevet
95 Posts

Profile of Tommytallica
Awesome dvd.
Highly recommended!
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Darrin Cook......Thank you very kindly for your thorough and honest review, very kind of you indeed. As mentioned before, iFone 10 was going to be a DVD on its own but we thought we would give the buyer real value for money.

Lee, myself and Russ are extremely grateful you took the time to write your review and post it here on the Café, I've done a few reviews myself and I know just how time consuming they can be to write up.

Also a big 'Thank You' to Tommytallica for your kind remark.

Kind regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Thank you Darrin,

What a great honest review. So pleased you enjoyed the project and thank you for taking the time to review icandy in so much detail.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
The quality of the effects and teaching is great. I love the idea of pairing two magicians together because you have the opportunity to benefit from the work of two very different styles of magic. It would be great if this DVD could set a new standard for what true value of a magic DVD should be. It is filled with great, practical material. This is a tremendous assortment of magic which can be used in real world performances. A nice mix of effects which offers something for all skill sets. FANTASTIC! I hope you are at Magic Live so I can thank you in person.
si.says
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of si.says
I've just got the DVD today and very much enjoyed it. 3c and iPhone 10 are 2 of my favourites ilk be doing very soon.
By the way, on the back of the DVD cover it lists a trick called "1 coin routine" but I can't find it anywhere on the DVD

Can someone please help. Am I being stupid or does that trick not appear on the actual DVD?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I believe that's on the bonus DVD with the pre orders
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
If you ask Russ nicely he might just give you one......
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
I really love this DVD.
the price per trick in this DVD is as much as in a book!!
and of course, all of them are exetremely practical.

I am already using a few of those, including the kickback kings, 3some, and scoop.
really really great explanation, really like the part where they tell you what to do if you don't have a wallet!

this DVD deinately worth more attention

ps haven't tried the ifone yet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » ICANDY review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL