The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with a prop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
I posted this elsewhere and didn't get any responses. I have a decorative soap that I want to use as a final load. My question is what can I use to make the prop last. I was thinking lacquer but maybe polyurethane...not sure how either would interact with the soap.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
RTV silicone mold "splashed off" the original soap, then cast prop soaps out of cold-cure urethane compound - using appropriate dye to color the finished product.

I know, I know... too much work. But that's how you do it if you really care.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The decorative soaps I've seen have been around for years. Turns out few people are brave enough to use them, even if they're sticking in a bowl in the bathroom...

However, some quick google research indicated lacquer may be a good way to go. You should probably look into it more yourself- I'm no expert and don't want to give out bad advice.

I'm of the opinion that you may also want to look into making a mold or two, so you can recast duplicates from wax if something should happen to the original.

Edit- Looks like Thomas got to this first, concerning the mold-making. His advice is better and more complete than mine.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I agree with thomas.. unless you REALLY want the smell of real soap... make it out of quick cast urethane...

if you REALLY want the soap to be soap... make a mold.. and occasionally pour yourself a new one with new soap.

I don't think you could get a thick enough coat of lacquer on there to matter.. and if you do. it will change the look of the soap drastically.
magicbyrc
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of magicbyrc
You could try coating the decorative soap with melted paraffin wax. I remember my parents doing this years ago with soap bars and old Christmas cards.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2211504_decorate......oap.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help with a prop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL