The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review - (Red Mirror, Angelux, Drink Magic and Cash Flow) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spader II
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Spader II
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 14:46, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 12:52, iainmacleod wrote:
Great show as usual.
Is "Black Sock Production" available as a single trick DVD?

Funnily enough apparently he does sell the 20oz production as a single trick. So yes - but you've have to be mad to buy it!!!

Am I the only one who actually think that this was NOT so bad? I can imagine this working on stage or in a theatre. I showed this clip to a few laymen and all of them said "haha nice" or "oh.. cool". It is not a magician fooler and you will get busted on video, but other than that its alright. I like the idea.

Now most of you might laugh at me, but meh.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Yes, but you have to keep in mind that Michael Lair claims that Black Sock Production, and all of these effects, can be done close up.......NOT!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Shaefmagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Shaefmagic
@ craig and Dave

I am going to have to say I disagree with you guys as far as the disclaimer goes. Here is what the disclaimer says:

"The routines performed and explained herein belong to Helder Guimaraes. They are from his working repertoire and are offered for study purposes only. It is Helder's wish that you take inspiration from these ideas and create your own routines rather than perform them as is"

Alright lets break that down. Here are my two thoughts. 1.) I think the big key everyone is missing is the last part of the statement. "Create your own routines rather than perform them as is" I believe this does not have nearly as much to do with performance right as everyone thinks. He is making a statement about wanting you to make the routine YOUR OWN. You can still perform the material he just wants you to make it your own. Your own spin, own patter, own style. Today there is a huge problem with people buying a magic trick and going through the motions (I will try not to soap box too much). Magic is supposed to be about your personality and interaction with the audience... and that doesn't really take place if you are just "going through the motions" so to speak. He is trying to make people think about the make more... just my opinion

2.) If it is really about performance rights... That really only matters if you are doing tv specials, or you a a huge profile magician. If you are not seen by hundreds of thousands of people a year... I don think you need to worry about it. I don't think 97% of magicians who bu y this dvd will ever need to worry about this. So people need to get over it and just perform the material in your own way of course ;-)

Just my thoughts. Like the show overall guys! keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Samuel
I using music theory have created order out of chaos - Sherlock Holmes
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Great show guys. I think the way you do the ratings is just right. They are part of the total review and don't really mean much by themselves because there are too many variables. They are part of the conversation. The posters above have made some valid points but I say don't go down the road of taking the ratings seriously even if others mistakenly do.

As for the black sock production, it did look good to me on the first pass.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:42, Shaefmagic wrote:
@ craig and Dave

I am going to have to say I disagree with you guys as far as the disclaimer goes. Here is what the disclaimer says:

"The routines performed and explained herein belong to Helder Guimaraes. They are from his working repertoire and are offered for study purposes only. It is Helder's wish that you take inspiration from these ideas and create your own routines rather than perform them as is"

Alright lets break that down. Here are my two thoughts. 1.) I think the big key everyone is missing is the last part of the statement. "Create your own routines rather than perform them as is" I believe this does not have nearly as much to do with performance right as everyone thinks. He is making a statement about wanting you to make the routine YOUR OWN. You can still perform the material he just wants you to make it your own. Your own spin, own patter, own style. Today there is a huge problem with people buying a magic trick and going through the motions (I will try not to soap box too much). Magic is supposed to be about your personality and interaction with the audience... and that doesn't really take place if you are just "going through the motions" so to speak. He is trying to make people think about the make more... just my opinion

2.) If it is really about performance rights... That really only matters if you are doing tv specials, or you a a huge profile magician. If you are not seen by hundreds of thousands of people a year... I don think you need to worry about it. I don't think 97% of magicians who bu y this dvd will ever need to worry about this. So people need to get over it and just perform the material in your own way of course ;-)

Just my thoughts. Like the show overall guys! keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Samuel

I do agree with this but it is rather ambiguous. The phrase/statement that stopped me was "...and are offered for study purposes only."

That was pretty clear to me that these are not routines I can take and perform as-is. I posted my concerns on another thread that Helder has posted on but so far I haven't seen a comment on this concern. Interestingly, the grammar of the statement in in the third person. So I wonder what his thoughts are on the matter or are these indeed his words.

Its not a very big deal in the grand scheme of things as I have plenty of material to study and perform from other authors that I like just as much. It would have been nice to know before spending my money what the exact intention of this product was.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Love the show, only thing to say is that my Cash Flow gimmick works fine. Not sure what problem you had. Bad shows are funny, keep it up.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
This show gets better every episode. Keep up the great work guys, this is my "must watch" every week.
thoughtthief10
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of thoughtthief10
So is Drink Magic worst than Canz or is one as bad as the other? LOL

Brian
bigdhri
View Profile
New user
RI
63 Posts

Profile of bigdhri
Hey Craig,
You and Dave do a great job giving an honest review about the magic you see. My question for you is did Helder ever respond to your offer to defend his statement at the beginning of the DVD?
Thanks,
Dave
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
You need to put out a Rifftrax or MST3K version of Drink Magic with just you guys in the background commenting throughout. It would be a smash hit. http://www.rifftrax.com/
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
@ mrmetropolis Wow....after 47 posts I'm surprised that one of the moderators hasn't caught your avatar and deleted it! When I first joined I had somewhat of a similar avatar and it was deleted in one day as I had not read the avatar rules. Avatar Rules:
Quote:
In an effort to help give the Café a more personal touch, we allow members the option to upload a personal avatar.

There's one stipulation: to avoid copyright issues, only a small photo or likeness (artists rendering) of yourself may be used as your avatar.
The picture may be a drawing or caricature, but it must be you! No photo's of movie stars or other celebrities are allowed, unless you are the celebrity.

When choosing your photo, we ask that you use one that best represents how you look now. I do not want to see a photo of you when you were a baby, or a small child, or taken 20 years ago when you were in the army.

Photographs or drawings that look like an X-ray or Negative are prohibited.

Also, I want to see your entire face, not one eye (unless it is a side view) not you with a mask on, not hiding behind something and peeking out...all of your face! I must be able to see your face (eyes,nose,mouth,etc). If you are a Clown or Mime, a photo of you in make-up is fine.

I do not want to see cartoons Mickey Mouse, Bart Simpson etc), playing cards, magic posters, hands holding cards, products (books, DVDs, etc) with your photo on it, wizards, etc. The only exception is my wife Mya Angel who works very hard here, and is entitled to a perk or two
If you wish to have a full shot of you standing or performing, that is fine, just as long as we can see your entire face clearly.

The default rabbit in a hat icon is our own copyrighted image and is not to be altered and used as an avatar.

Any avatars that do not comply with above rules will be removed. It's as simple as that.

Just thought I’d warn you. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
The performance terms on the Red Mirror DVD are unenforceable unless they are clearly printed on the outside of the box. If they're not, they constitute a new and major term of the contract between the buyer and seller, which cannot be added after a sale is completed - at least in the USA. So from a legal perspective (and ethical, I would say, since you had no notice of the terms prior to payment), you should be safe performing the routines anywhere, if that's what you choose to do.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 12:34, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
The performance terms on the Red Mirror DVD are unenforceable unless they are clearly printed on the outside of the box. If they're not, they constitute a new and major term of the contract between the buyer and seller, which cannot be added after a sale is completed - at least in the USA. So from a legal perspective (and ethical, I would say, since you had no notice of the terms prior to payment), you should be safe performing the routines anywhere, if that's what you choose to do.

This brings up an interesting question. If one purchases online and doesn't see said "term" until the product has arrived at ones house (assuming term is on outside of case that is) is it enforceable? Shouldn't this be made clear to buyer at point of purchase?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
That depends on who wrote the on-line ad. If it clearly states the terms of sale on the box, and the manufacturer includes that in the official advertising, then it's enforceable. If the dealer deleted that information when drafting his version of an ad, then you have a claim against the dealer only, probably for the value of the purchase. But the non-performance agreement would be enforceable if the packaging (the exterior; not the DVD itself) and the official advertising stated it clearly as a term of sale.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Helder Guimaraes
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Helder Guimaraes
Hello everyone,

Just to clear all the ideas that are being said:

- There is no legal issue in here. Legally, you can perform the routines in the DVD. Period.

Now, let me say something else.

I love magic more than I love myself.
I respect and praise the ideas that are original, the time that each performer magician invest in their own repertoire..
I like to see new and new approaches to magic.
I hate seeing someone copying another magician, even if the routine was published. Instead, I love seeing new aproaches in presentation, method and thinking to published material.
I love seeing people sharing good ideas. I hate people who see only the commercial aspect of "sharing ideas".

That's all that I wanted to say with the message in Red Mirror.
Understand that Magic, for me, it's an Art. I respect other Artists and respect their originality, their aproach, their way of thinking and all their work.
I don't think paying a $40 DVD should allow you to copycat an entire repertoire from someone else. But, if you think so, that's your option.
If we want the audience to respect us, we have to be the first ones to respect what we do.

Sincerelly,

Helder Guimarães
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review - (Red Mirror, Angelux, Drink Magic and Cash Flow) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL