The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorm in China question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Is the snowstorm in Tarbell somewhere? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
In Tarbell it is called "Winter Time in China" Vol. 1 Page 301.

There have obviously been some improvements since it was published in Tarbell.

David
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello Jim,

In the first book of the Tarbell Course in Magic on page 301 (under lesson 15 : Restoring torn papers), you'll find the effect called "Wintertime in China". Two versions of a snowstorm from torn papers are discripted.

Oliver.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Please don't do it like:

"When I was a kid I wanted to see snow..."

[Sad song, preferably from Edward Scissorhands' OST]

"Then one day gran'pa came into my room with a napkin and a glass of water"

[more sad music]

[Fill up the stage wit confetti]
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Oh why not, everyone else does. Smile
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I especially like the Stewart Judah handling for the Snowstorm from the old Dai Vernon's booklet "Select Secrets"

Best regards,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
If they can, anyone researching the effect should check out 'Roy Benson by Starlight' by Levent and Todd Karr. I'm reading it now, along with watching Levent's DVDs on Billiard Balls and Miser's Dream, and it's all excellent material.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The packets you buy from the magic store are much better than the ones that are instructed in the Tarbell Course. You get more "snow flakes" from it and it's a tighter package. But, you might want to refer to Tarbell for the handling of the packet. It's a good routine.
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
My question who cleans up??
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, everyone. Just what I needed.

A side question: how many packets do you guys usually use? One, two, etc?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
On a large stage, I double load the fan.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Best handling I've seen is Phoa Yan Tiong's. He was a marshall arts instructor and when he used the fan it was with incredible power.

But... don't leave a mess.

For a photo of mine see my web site... http://www.petebiro.com and clik on "images from the vault"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Ive used the Snowstorm to finish my Professional Act to Music
for years-I use 1 SnowLoad but as mentioned if you Fan fast it goes Very High etc

I use 1 glass & a switch when swapping the fan for the paper wet ball etc method..-very effective

The Pic below is in beautiful Theatre called the Mayfair
The music had just stopped and I walk forward to the front as the full house was clapping etc
We did 18 shows in 22 days all over the country & snowstorm finished each night

The Snowstorm was still coming down and is very effective with the Spotlites etc as you see...

Click here to view attached image.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Forgot to mention similar to Tarbells ideas etc....
siam1946
View Profile
New user
Tom Schubert
1 Post

Profile of siam1946
This might be the right forum to post this. sands of the desert, there is a new version using a space age polimer etc. and the old method using wax. I would like to hear pros and cons on each of them so I can make a choice. I think I will be leaning toward the old version though. It is just about the way it looks when you take it out of the water. Where can the old version be purchased now a day?
Tom Schubert
ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
What would any of you suggest is the best commercial (that which is being sold on the market) version of the "Chinese Snowstorm?"

John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-07 01:38, ancientmagic wrote:
What would any of you suggest is the best commercial (that which is being sold on the market) version of the "Chinese Snowstorm?"

John

Noone is currently selling the Snowstorm in China with the complete trick. The trick is not performed by anyone properly except Jade. She is performs the effect as Dai Vernon published it, 1st performing the torn and restored chinese paper trick, then leading into the snowstorm finale.

Most dealers only supply the snowstorm packets and maybe an oriental fan.

Currently the better effect would be the Dancing Butterflies routine. In this 2 butterflies dance around the performer, then they fall in a bowl of water. These wet butterflies transform into a fury of hundreds of butterflies. Jeff McBride has released his version of this effect recently or you can get the basic effect as a trick manufactured by the India company Uday.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorm in China question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL