The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Rapping Hand... (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Critter,
Sorry, after watching that video I have to e-mail Teller and tell him to stop hanging out with you.
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Handa - All good solid points. My quest still continues.

and could we please have Critters' youtube clip stricken from the conversation? Just kidding.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I noticed on that large auction site that begins with the letter 'E' gauntlets / armored gloves which medevil knights wore. Sold by the pair of course, thus cutting your cost in half. It seemed to me such an artifact would be of value to a Bizarrist, as very unusual rapping hand .

How would you make it rap? I can only suggest the prop, the method is up to you. Draw on the method used for other rapping hands to show the way. THe large metal glove offers great visibility and the added metalic audiovalue to the effect.

Kotah
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2011-03-24 14:36, KOTAH wrote:
I noticed on that large auction site that begins with the letter 'E' gauntlets / armored gloves which medevil knights wore. Sold by the pair of course, thus cutting your cost in half. It seemed to me such an artifact would be of value to a Bizarrist, as very unusual rapping hand .

How would you make it rap? I can only suggest the prop, the method is up to you. Draw on the method used for other rapping hands to show the way. The large metal glove offers great visibility and the added metalic audiovalue to the effect.

Kotah

I like this ideal!!! How to make it rap?

You could slide "Billy the Bass" or "Frankie the Fish" into the gauntlet. You could have it sing too!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Similarly ,look in the same place for this item :
ANATOMICAL LIFE SIZE HAND / WRIST FLEXIBLE JOINT MODEL
Mark
E.O.I
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
Here is what I use.... a Hobbs Hand on the open slat platform from the Val Evans card rise. Killer.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator

Some ideas.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Regardless of what version is used, and the Willard version is the one used by the originator Anna Eva Fay, use it sparingly. Like the spirit bell, the more times it is activated, the less effective it becomes. I have not used a rapping hand. I have used a spirit bell and had it ring only when the audience's attention was not on it.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Is the Willard rapping hand, the one sold by Martinka at the time?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I don't know but by the time Willard came on the scene Martinka was owned by Al Flosso.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
There's a reference to the use of a rapping hand by Anna Eva Fay in the advertising for the catalog "Gambols with the Ghosts".
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
38 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
Considering purchasing the Outlaw hand. Any pros and cons you can suggest regarding this style of hand?
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
The OE hand is great, but do be aware that it is about the size of a baby's hand.
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Could anyone shed any light on this model? Size mainly? I'm fine to refurbish the whole outfit, but I'm looking for a decent hand to start with.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA5274/Spir......d=SPIRIT

Thanks!
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Probably the holy grail of rapping hands is The Hand of Andino by Domenico Dante of Italy...the hand is beautiful and can be totally examined as the tray before and after performance...it is under you control at all times via remote. I have one in my collection, I will try and post when I get time. If I remember correctly it was pricey...sold for around $1,800.00
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, ProfessorJinksy wrote:
Could anyone shed any light on this model? Size mainly? I'm fine to refurbish the whole outfit, but I'm looking for a decent hand to start with.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA5274/Spir......d=SPIRIT

Thanks!

I have that one, but never used in performance. The hand is smallish, but still lifelike for a woman's hand. 8 inches long. The paint job is horrible, but the effect is sort of cool. I would repaint and change the fringe if I ever planned to use it in a performance.
ProfessorJinksy
View Profile
New user
Italy
93 Posts

Profile of ProfessorJinksy
Thank you so much, Steven. I appreciate it! That's very helpful.

Best,
Jinksy
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Do I find my friends Todd and Christian discussing rapping hands? I’m here some 3 years later because I came across a Rapping hand that was made about 80 years ago, is performed on a glass sheet, has no thread hook ups and can be operated while being held by a spectator. It’s also examinable and the gimmick can be secreted so it won’t work.
When I’ve had Todd and Christian take a look at it (and it’s the full size of a man’s hand) I’ll let you all know what will be it’s future.

Sean Paul, I see you tossing aside the critique of “the presentation is more important that the prop” with a reference to Henning Nelms. Is this because you don’t want to know what a few of us understand as an irrefutable truth? I believe you may need to ask yourself what this “spooky” effect is that you want to produce. I know my answer, and it’s not about the hand tapping.

The cold, hard truth is: the effect is 100% about some supernatural entity communicating with us. If this effect is achieved, it doesn’t matter if the hand moves by an electronic magnet or a hammer or a needle or a spector! If your audience is CONVINCED that YOU (or anyone associated with you) are not working the hand, you can actually frighten them with a wind up cymbal monkey! (Christian Smile )

The cleanest apparent proof that it’s the entity and not us communicating, is by revealing a fact that we could not possibly know. That would probably eliminate the name of a playing card!

But if your disembodied, wooden hand tapped out the name of my childhood pet, I might begin to feel a tad uneasy. So, table rap, window tap, or any crap, it doesn’t matter if I convince my audience that they are getting a form of scentiant communication that I CANNOT be creating. I convince them by the information revealed, NOT by trying to hide an otherwise obvious method.
Cart before the horse type problem.

Hope this helps,
Docc

P.S. Years ago I had two ceramic doll size rapping hands made. They use the Dr. Jaks method. One I gave to Robert Bluemle for his collection, and one I have been using for 25 years.
I have had nothing but amazement or horror be the reactions. No one has ever thought there was a gimmick. They simply had to accept that the hand tapped! No explanation. And no I can’t share the method, forgive me. I have to keep some secrets (and if you know it, please keep it too; that’s why I mentioned it. One can still look it up.✌🏼)

P.P.S. Sean Paul, ask Brother Burger what he thinks about spirit rapping now! THAT would be really helpful.
(Too soon?) nah
😁hee hee hee ❤️

(Christian, call or text me: 305-335-3811)
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
There is an awesome old Italian rapping hand in the Potter & Potter Summer Magic Auction going on right now
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
138 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Rapping Hand... (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL