The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Traditional style cup for Lacrosse ball size load? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
Hello,

Is there a nice traditional-style cup being made now that just takes a Lacrosse ball? I see cups that are larger or smaller, but I'm partial to that size load ball.

Thanks much,

Kelly
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No.

The closest thing would be the Rnt II Traditional Cups, which will take a tennis ball. Riser also has a cup that is very similar. The problem nowadays is that most lacrosse balls are being made closer to the upper end of the acceptable spec for the lacrosse balls than they were back in the 1960's. Based on roughly 500 lacrosse balls that I have tested at sporting goods stores and in batches that I have ordered via the internet, roughly 75% of these balls were in the 2.54 inch diameter range that is the upper limit of permissible lacrosse ball sizes according to NCAA rules. This size ball will not, for example, fit all the way down into a Paul Fox cup.

The lower limit of permissible size of a Tennis ball, according to IFT rules, is 2.57 inches. So you see, this .03 inch is basically minuscule.

The Phoenix cups by Tom Frank should also work. He still has a few sets available.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
Thank you Mr. Palmer. I'm actually using balls that are 2 3/8" or a bit smaller, so calling them Lacrosse-size is inaccurate I suppose.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That gives you a bit more leeway. I'll see if I have any balls that are the same size. I'll check them with various cups that are usually available.

There were a lot of cups made during the 1950's that were high quality and plentiful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
http://www.harriesmagic.com/index.php?pa......Itemid=2

Harrie's Bosco cups will do lacrosse balls with room to spare. And they're sturdy as hell.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, his original post said he wanted a cup that would "just fit a lacrosse ball."

The Harries cups will handle a baseball. They are also rather light for a copper cup. In addition to that, they are very difficult to obtain right now. Harries seems to be out of them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
Thank you Mr. Palmer, looking forward to it when you have the time.
Kelly
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm thinking that if you could find a set of Pete Biro Johnny Paul cups or a set of P&L cups, that would be just about right.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
Thank you! I should have pulled the trigger on a set of Johnny Paul cups while they were available. Now the search begins . ..
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Pete is thinking of doing another run of them.

Contact Donnie at rnt2 .....I am sure he can hook you up with a set that will work for you.
Mike
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
My Traditional Cups are big enough to take a tennis ball, which is larger than what Kelly is asking for. The tallest cups I produce that are lacrosse ball load size are the Monti Cups.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These are really nice, heavy cups. I have an idea for you Donnie. I'll send you an e-mail tomorrow.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Traditional style cup for Lacrosse ball size load? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL