The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Orleans recommendations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
Hello fellow weird ones,
Since you were all so helpful with recommendations last summer for my UK trip, I'm coming out of lurker mode in the hopes that some of you could give me a few points of direction for my visit to NOLA next week. We've done a bit of research, so we're already aware of the more ubiquitous attractions (although feel free to point out anything you feel can't be missed or should be avoided at all costs). As always, I'm looking for the strange, creepy, and interesting. However, as I'm traveling with my Muggle partner, she would certainly welcome non-magic (and, if I must, non-creepy)items as well. If you'd rather not post, feel free to IM or email me (tokyowilliams AT gmail DOT com).
Thanks in advance....

TKW
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Tokyo,

There is a lot to do in New Orleans. I love that town.

I went on a cemetary/voodoo tour. They took us to the home of a practicing voodoo priestess, at least so they claimed. I don't know if it was just an act but she seemed completely bat **** crazy. When I asked her specific questions about the altars and the loa her answers were off the wall and non responsive.
Nonetheless, we got to do a lot of walking, learned a lot of history and saw a beautiful cathedral, St. Louis #1 and the voodoo temple.

There is also a voodoo museum I would recommend. It is in the French Quarter. Can't remember where exactly.

Not a spooky thing, but there is a pretty cool outdoor market on the Mississippi at the edge of the French Quarter. Check it out if you want to buy touristy things but not pay the prices on Bourbon. Also wander through Jackson Square late at night at look at the shadow of "touchdown Jesus" on the back side of St. Louis Cathedral. There is also an interesting little absinthe bar there on Pirates Alley.

If you hit Bourbon (which I am sure you will) hit Preservation Hall on St. Peter for great jazz. It is just off of Bourbon St. While int he area, Madame John's Legacy was the house of Marie Laveau, the voodoo queen of New Orleans. It is on Dumaine St.

Also, if you want some of the traditional food, Café du Monde, of course, for the chickory coffee and beignets. It is on Jackson Square. You can get them elsewhere and they are just as good. Then right across the street is Central Grocery where you can get an original muffaletta. Unless you are REAL hungry go for the half. Then you can hit Antoines for a great dinner in a wonderful historic restaurant.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Good suggestions from Paul. I don't have much to add but here you go.

If you drink alcohol, you pretty much have to hit Pat O'Brien's and have a Hurricane.

For some interesting night life, you could check out the Dungeon (goth bar).

Do check out the French Market for souvenirs and cool stuff, you will definitely pay a LOT less for the same stuff you can get everywhere else in the city. While you're in the French Market, be sure to get a Po Boy at Cooyon's, they are AWESOME and only about 6 bucks.

A tip to save you some hassle: When you are approached by the Party Patrol, just tell them you're local and they'll leave you alone.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If a kid comes up and wants to bet you $20 that he knows city, state, and time that you got your shoes, don't take the bet. The answer is "I got them on my feet, right here, right now."
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
1) Gambit is the weekly free entertainment newspaper. Pick one up when you get there.

2) WWOZ 90.7 FM is New Orleans' community radio station. It plays great New Orleans music, streams its broadcasts over the internet, AND has a great website ( http://www.wwoz.org/ ) with live music listings and a terrific events calendar. My wife grew up in New Orleans and streams WWOZ all the time to keep in touch. I found this on their events calendar -- does this count as creepy?

How to Fill a Cemetery: The Gentle Craft of Poison
The New Orleans Pharmacy Museum
514 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA, 70130
Thu, Apr 14, 2011
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Save Our Cemeteries & the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum present. . . .

How to Fill a Cemetery: The Gentle Craft of Poison

Chemist Dr. Harold W. Young will lead a discussion of poisons that have been used to hasten the demise of unfortunate individuals. These examples will include both famous people and former inhabitants of Louisiana.

3) FREE live music festivals happen all the time in New Orleans. Last weekend was Old Algiers Riverfest. This weekend is French Quarter Festival. Those are big ones, but smaller scale neighborhood festivals are happening all over, and they have great music and food.

4) It's Mardi Gras now. Everywhere else Mardi Gras is just one day, but in New Orleans it's a whole season full of parades and music. Let WWOZ (radio AND website) and Gambit guide you!

5) Next time we're down there I want to go hear Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers, and eat barbecue from Kermit's truck.

Enjoy!
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
6) Eat crawfish pie. Scrumptious!
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
I personally have loved Galatoire's, Café du monde, and of course having breakfast in Jackson Square.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » New Orleans recommendations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL