The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » flash paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lenaregina
View Profile
New user
AR
1 Post

Profile of lenaregina
Hi!
I'm not a magician but a bellydancer. I recently bought some flash paper so that I could incorporate a little "flash" in my dancing. I dance with candles and want to "wow" my audience. How do you put the flash paper into the lit candle without it being obvious that you have paper between your fingers?? I have been playing with the paper in my driveway & it's awesome...now I just need some advice on how to do it properly. Any tips/advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you,
Lena Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you ball up a small piece (2" x 3") so that it has a tail out opposite ends of the ball, you can hide it easily behind your fingers.

One tail is pinched between your fingers as your hand rests in a normal open position. The other tail is the "fuse".

There are different types of this paper which burn at different speeds be very careful in that respect.

There are some other things to know about this type of stuff. Private Message me and I will give you the 411.

No joke, be careful. A magician recently blew some fingers off using an associated type attention getter.

Tom
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Sometimes it is safer to let pass an effect by!

Pyros aren´t so easy in use than they seem!
I for my own don´t use only one!
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
lenaregina;

Pyro stuff takes A LOT of pre-thought!!
If you are just starting out, then starting SMALL AND SAFE should be your best friends!! Many, Many magic dealers and Magic shops, sell small items (containers if you will) that will hold a piece, or pieces of flash paper... many of which are self-igniting. These 'containers' can be clipped to the palms of your hands.

Let me stress the fact again... Any and all pyro stuff must be handled and treated with the utmost of safety!! Just because it looks cool, or flashy, doesn't necessarily mean that you should perform it. Start with very, very small flash paper bursts. But, again, I suggest that you consult with a magic dealer or shop for special holders for flash paper and flash cotton, and the like.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hello Lena,

My advice is to watch what you wear.

This isn't a moral statement. (Well, maybe a little...) But I am really referring to safety and many cothing items that are thin and flowing and what I would expect might be worn by a Belly Dancer, are also potentially flamable.

And yes Flash paper will light that type of clothing item on fire, and it will go up like dry tinder.

A more repeatable, although more difficult to conceal "flash" would be something like the FISM Flash (ask your local magic dealer about it) or Rocco's D'Lite might make an interesting addition to your act and stay with you for use at multiple or near constant occassions as you perform. It is not one time like falsh paper, and doesn't require finding a lighter, or match, or trick to light it. Bit effects I mentioned are electric/battery and both very good in different ways.

Good Luck and be careful.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Excellent advice from BroDavid.
Why not go with something other than flash paper, which is a bit risky for a belly dancer to handle (inflammable costume possibilites, etc.)
Most bigger magic dealers, on the net or the brick-and-stone stores, can supply you with FISM flash, or D'Lite, as mentioned by BroDavid, or Finger Fazers by Jay Scott Berry.
All these give you a burst of light and are much safer.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I thought I'd also mention never try to make flashpaper from a recipe in a book. Always buy it and don't try to make it. Making it is very dangerous unless your an expert. Smile
themagickeeper
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
55 Posts

Profile of themagickeeper
Finger flasher might help
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » flash paper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL