The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Salt! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Watch it everyone Tommy is packing heat.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-04-17 15:00, tommy wrote:
Why would you not want salt?

:applause:
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tommy
Of course you need salt in your diet to live, but there is so much salt in everything we eat that if you put no salt in your food you would still exceed the recommended daily limits. How many people today only eat food that they prepare form scratch every day?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Don't get me wrong...I enjoy salt in my food. It just seems like every time we go out for food, the salt content has been overdone in our food. It's gotten to the point where we don't go out much to eat. Maybe it's age tho' I wouldn't think that being in my mid 30s, I'd be griping about it unless it was really bad. It's really bad!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-04-17 18:05, diehards2080 wrote:
I use to be big into bodybuilding and powerlifting up until about 2 yrs ago and got lazy. Point is I learned the hard way when trying to construct your diet for any goal you have to prepare your own food because you will not know what you are getting period. The biggest one was salt consumption. That would mess me up big time. When it was time for me to diet down it wasnt too bad for me. I needed the extra salt intake due to the amount of cardio I was doing plus the extra water retention help my joints.

Clarence Bass writes in his book "Ripped" about the time he was cutting for a contest and ate some 'innocent' cottage cheese.
Then he got bloated all to heck. It was at this point that he checked the sodium content on the cottage cheese. It was a lot.
Bodybuilders and fighters are the ones who I think have to be the most careful. Bodybuilders because of the definition issue and fighters because of the weight issue.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Okay, I've got to throw in my $0.02 here.

The food companies are not trying to kill you. Salt is not harmful. It's a flavor enhancer and necessary to maintain the electrolyte balance in human biofunctions.

For those who already struggle with high blood pressure, it is necessary to limit salt intake. But for everybody else, what the body does not need it will eliminate. Salt does not cause high blood pressure! I'm a perfect example of this, as I eat more salt than anybody I know, and my blood pressure when checked is always perfectly normal. My sodium level when checked is also usually normal, unless I've been in the hospital and haven't been able to eat for two days like last year. I couldn't ask for extra salt for my food fast enough to get my sodium level up so they would release me.

So the FDA can just go chase themselves if they want to regulate the salt content of foods. There are already low salt alternatives out there for those who need it, but it's none of the government's business how much the rest of us eat. It tastes good, so leave me alone!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Carrie, didn't you mention before that you had a condition which caused hyponatremia? Of course you would need more salt in your diet if that were the case...

For many people, though, increasing sodium intake causes water retension, which can lead to high blood pressure. We're just complaining about how the low salt alternatives are difficult to find, and how restaurants usually add a lot of salt to their meals- without even telling us. It's about choice, right? You can carry a salt shaker with you, if you want, but the rest of us want the option to not have all our foods covered in it.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2011-04-17 13:52, landmark wrote:
One of my pet peeves is people who salt their food without tasting the food beforehand. I know it's none of my business, but it irks me.

I hear ya! Seasoning of any kind prior to tasting was a punishable offense at our dinner table while growing up! My parents (and now I) say it's offensive to the chef!

Salting before tasting once got me knocked clean outta my chair by Pop but still ranks second to being stabbed in the back of the hand with a fork for reaching across the table rather than asking to have something passed! Smile

I dunno if age has anything to do with it but my taste buds seem to crave much less salt than in my younger years!

I agree, most restaurants do seem to over salt these days and there are now few fast food joints I can even tolerate!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Now that I read Carrie's post I'm going to go hog out on potato chips.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-04-20 15:51, Carrie Sue wrote:
Okay, I've got to throw in my $0.02 here.

The food companies are not trying to kill you. Salt is not harmful. It's a flavor enhancer and necessary to maintain the electrolyte balance in human biofunctions.

For those who already struggle with high blood pressure, it is necessary to limit salt intake. But for everybody else, what the body does not need it will eliminate. Salt does not cause high blood pressure! I'm a perfect example of this, as I eat more salt than anybody I know, and my blood pressure when checked is always perfectly normal. My sodium level when checked is also usually normal, unless I've been in the hospital and haven't been able to eat for two days like last year. I couldn't ask for extra salt for my food fast enough to get my sodium level up so they would release me.

So the FDA can just go chase themselves if they want to regulate the salt content of foods. There are already low salt alternatives out there for those who need it, but it's none of the government's business how much the rest of us eat. It tastes good, so leave me alone!

Carrie

I thought the point of this thread is that the restaurants are salting the **** out of everything without discussing it with us beforehand?
If I want salt, like Al said, I'll buy some chips or something. I don't need a boatload of it on every dang thing I eat.
It's nothing to do with any health thing, I just don't need that much salty taste and bloating.
Not all the time, anyway.
So there's my point zero two.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
I think where a lot of people like me are getting angry at Nanny Government is when they tell restaurants they can only have "this much" salt in their product, when a lot of times that stuff can't be measured. Yeah, they can measure it in a McDonald's meal because everything is exactly the same no matter where you go. But at your local family restaurant where they toss a dash of salt in with the French fries or the chicken wings may have sat in the marinade longer than usual, or the big dinners may have a little more of this or a little less of that, it's virtually impossible to discover how much sodium is in something.

You can always ask for an entree to be made with no extra salt added if you want, but on the other hand you can't always add salt at the dinner table and get the flavor you want. For example, I tried salting pizza once, and it tasted terrible. I still want the freedom to eat a Pepperoni Lovers Personal Pan at Pizza Hut, even if it's already loaded with salt. If you don't want to consume a lot of salt, then go for the veggie pizza. Simple.

But government needs to stay out of it! That's my point.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Carrie, tell me how you feel about the party of small gov't after reading this:

"In his "Budget Bill", Governor Snyder,(R) Michigan has included a LAW that states he and he alone can declare a city, town, county or township in that state is in a "Fiscal Emergency" and then remove from that town, city, county or township the elected officials and replace them with an individual, panel or board of his own choosing.

Governor Snyder has done just that. He has declared that the city of Benton Harbor, MI is in a state of "Fiscal Emergency" and ordered the Governing Body there, who were elected "By The People", to no longer Govern. He has decided that the Beach Front Park in that city, donated by a couple would serve better as Luxury Homes and a Golf Course.

The park was donated by a couple in memory of their deceased daughter who died as an infant, as a perpetual playground for children. Welcome to "Smaller Government", Dictatorship and One Party Rule to be repeated in state after state.

May be worthy to note that Benton Harbor is nearly 90% black, and the median income is $10,000. Golf course membership will cost $5,000."

Open your eyes Carrie. You are being snookered and don't even know it!
Magic is a vanishing art.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Paranoia much?

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
You didn't answer my question.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Is it true that Benton Harbor is in a fiscal emergency? Are they so badly run that they need someone to come in from outside to take care of things?

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Benton Harbor appears to be in a bad way.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Kalamazoo Gazette columnist Julie Mack pointed out that the city's pension system was underfunded by four million dollars, that its cash reserves have shrunk in three years from $1.7 million to just $300,000, that the city was spending somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000 a year in overdraft fees and that in the same week that Benton Harbor told the state it didn't need an emergency financial manager, the city asked the State Treasury for advance funds so it could make its payroll....

For the record, the emergency manager, Joe Harris, has already been in Benton Harbor for more than a year. He was appointed, not by Governor Snyder, but by Jennifer Granholm, but it's the teeth in Snyder's new law that allowed Harris to strip the city commission of its decision making powers.

Yeah, it makes you wince, but Harris is confident. He thinks Benton Harbor will soon be a model of an efficiently-run city, a city making do with what it's got.

We can only cross our fingers and hope he's right, because what happens in Benton Harbor will soon tell us if the state's power to literally dispense with a city's democratic process is a good idea, or is pushing all this to the very edge of constitutionality too great a price to pay.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/manager-138......ton.html

What's your solution?

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Here's what another story had to say about it. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Other states may start similar programs, with adjustments to accommodate local laws, as they try to streamline the process for fixing ailing communities, Imber said. He is part of a Grant Thornton team advising the Nassau County interim finance authority, the state-appointed agency that took control of the suburban New York county’s finances in January.

The Michigan law is “credit positive” because it enables the state to intervene earlier when municipalities are financially stressed and boosts the powers of emergency managers, Moody’s Investors Service said March 21. Such steps may be needed to prevent a Chapter 9 bankruptcy, it said.

Snyder’s Local Government and School District Fiscal Accountability Act also calls for a state financial review if a municipality defaults on a bond or note payment or receives a long-term debt rating “within or below the BBB category or its equivalent” by one of the major credit-rating companies.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Apparently something like 32 states are already borrowing money from the federal government to pay their bills:

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/201......ury.html

Apparently some Republicans are looking into legislation so that the worst of these fiscally challenged states can declare bankruptcy (because, right now, the law may not permit them to ... it's said to be complicated):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/busine......tcy.html

http://www.thedeal.com/magazine/ID/03844......rupt.php

http://blogs.reuters.com/james-pethokouk......-unions/

http://blogs.reuters.com/james-pethokouk......-unions/

So, assuming the above comes to pass ... I wonder how long until the White House starts appointing emergency managers to the bankrupt States, sort of like the Governor of Michigan did for Benton Harbor.

Quote:
On 2011-04-22 18:22, Carrie Sue wrote:
Benton Harbor appears to be in a bad way.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Kalamazoo Gazette columnist Julie Mack pointed out that the city's pension system was underfunded by four million dollars, that its cash reserves have shrunk in three years from $1.7 million to just $300,000, that the city was spending somewhere between $80,000 and $100,000 a year in overdraft fees and that in the same week that Benton Harbor told the state it didn't need an emergency financial manager, the city asked the State Treasury for advance funds so it could make its payroll....

For the record, the emergency manager, Joe Harris, has already been in Benton Harbor for more than a year. He was appointed, not by Governor Snyder, but by Jennifer Granholm, but it's the teeth in Snyder's new law that allowed Harris to strip the city commission of its decision making powers.

Yeah, it makes you wince, but Harris is confident. He thinks Benton Harbor will soon be a model of an efficiently-run city, a city making do with what it's got.

We can only cross our fingers and hope he's right, because what happens in Benton Harbor will soon tell us if the state's power to literally dispense with a city's democratic process is a good idea, or is pushing all this to the very edge of constitutionality too great a price to pay.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/manager-138......ton.html

What's your solution?

Carrie
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Can we get back to salt eventually?

Or have I said all that needs to be said on that topic?

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Salt! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL