The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Glorpy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
I am having an issue with my Glorpy. This is the first one I have bought so I cannot tell for sure if I am doing something wrong or if the product is defective. I can find examples of people demonstrating the trick but I cannot find a description of the gimmick to know if mine is defective, or if I am just handling it incorrectly. If someone would be willing to PM me for a quick gimmick description and performance discussion I would really appreciate it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some of the Hyrum the Haunted Hank gimmicks from the supplier have been made in the wrong direction. There are no more Glorpy's on the market I know of, the original manufacturer Mad Blood Creations has been out of business for years. They are Hyrum the Haunted Hank now, and some call them by other names as well.

Contact the dealer you purchased the item from, he should exchange it if it is defective.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Thanks, wm, but I'm not sure if the defect is with the Glorpy or with me. I don't want to return it if I'm just doing it wrong. This one is my Royal Magic, and it uses the name "Glorpy."
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Maybe you could try doing the special move without folding the handkerchief at the prepared corner, if it does not rise ... turn it over and try again from the other direction. I think that should show you if it works and give you a better idea as to the move. I have several from different time periods; some rise higher than others.

I wish you luck and hope what I wrote makes sense.

Bruce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
PM'd you the starting position and 1st fold. Hope this is clear.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you'd like to do a Glorpy without telegraphing that you're about to do a Glorpy by doing the mandatory "Glorpy fold" then you should check out my "Hank, the Ghost Hank" e-Book from the Wizard's Journal #16. A variety of alternate folds are given along with a variety of alternate methods and gimmicks. Even though the original Glorpy is gone, we still use the name for the same reason we call any facial tissue a "Kleenex" whether it is or it isn't.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Spellbinder, as you can see this misuse of the name is important in this case, as I know for fact that Hyrum's do occassionally are shipped not made correctly. Glorpy's to my knowledge do not. It is best when trying to find out specific information to speak correctly and use the proper names. I did not know that Fun Inc. obtained the rights to Glorpy, thus I was confused with the name given as Madblood has been out of business for over 40 years.

Kleenex and saran wrap have taken their issues with generic names to court and lost, Fun Inc. has not. Thus you can all any plastic wrap saran wrap, but to call any version of Glorpy is not correct. Hyrum even changes the fold sleightly so they are not the same trick, they may look similar, but that is all.

I would buy a Glorpy over any other copy on the market as the brand also has a reputation as being well made and uses a nice men's pocket hanky.

Just my thoughts on your comments, everyone sort of does what they want anyway today. So in the long run it does not matter. I have to know to understand what they are talking about, if they want a correct answer.
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Try Lynetta Welch at Fabric Manipuations
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-05-14 13:30, leaycraft wrote:
Try Lynetta Welch at Fabric Manipulations

You beat me to it, leaycraft. I highly recommend her!
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
William raised the question about the use of the "Glorpy" name. The reason I used it is because that is what was on the instructions sheet that came with the product. I am going to try to insert the top part of the instructions in this message so you can see what I mean. I have never done an image insert before so please excuse me if I get this wrong.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
It worked! And here is the contact information for Fun, Inc. as listed at the bottom of the instructions if anyone is interested.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Glad you got the insert to work for ya... Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
All of the proper name(s) issues and property of said name(s) aside, have you figured out the issue yet, or at the very least, found a working solution?
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Dr. Ayala,

Yes, I did get the solution. I had a nice PM discussion with William H. and he set me straight. And right after that I found a detailed and illustrated(!) description of the haunted handkerchief in the Knack publication titled Magic Tricks: a step by step guide to illusion, sleight of hand, and amazing feats by Richard Kaufman.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
That is a great reference to have!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
THAT is a killer book. So well thought out, written and the photos are spot on. I ran across it at my local library and it may not get returned... *shifty eyes*
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Glorpy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL