The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up mentalism material (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
498 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
Entertaining thread..............
The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
stefo
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of stefo
I have 13 steps to mentalism and I agree it's a great book. I will take a deeper look at the book and I hope I'll find solutions to my problems. And I know books are way better than DVD's especially 13 steps and Practical mental effects. Thanks once more for responses.
haklia
View Profile
New user
France
100 Posts

Profile of haklia
"Whether you are a magician wishing to move into mentalism or are an advanced mentalist, you will find concepts and ideas within these pages that will startle you and force you into new dimensions."

Here : http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......jt2s05v4

I hope you have a lot of time in front of you to read all of these books. Smile
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Protoplasm by Christian Painter is exclusively close-up mentalism and is full of great material by a pro who performs the routines often. Therefore they have been heavily road tested and polished.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
As Bob Cassidy has noted, there is very little difference between close-up and stage mentalism. Most stage effects can easily be "scaled down" for close-up and most close-up can be "scaled up" for stage presentation.
Dick Christian
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would say, that though the presentation/plot may well stay the same (or there abouts) there is sometimes (in my opinion) a need for a change of technique/method...not always...but some of the time...the same with the pacing of the piece too...so I can see why the question gets asked...
I've asked to be banned
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
CT
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Hey that was my shortest post ever...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Read Dick´s post.
Then read it again and grasp its meaning.
Then read all books mentioned that you can find.
As easy as that.... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
R-U-D-!
View Profile
New user
AUSTRIA
53 Posts

Profile of R-U-D-!
At least read Nicolinos new eBook Chance's Token and you're ready to do a miracle ;-)

R-U-D-!

off topic: Felx, 1 PR Dollar for me...! ;-)
R-U-D-! from Austria

This entry was posted by Google from German to Chinese, than into Greek and then finally translated into English. Enjoy!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
No Rudi, in this case I wouldn´t recommend your proposed procedure!!
At least not the dollar-thing.... Smile

Honestly, I´m kind of happy and relieved that (at least in this very section of the Café) such a field-spanning question finds that many patient and sincere replies, although it admittedly partly reflects the prevailing naivety of the op in this topic (which, don´t get me wronmg, is not a bad thing at all, but the past has shown that such inquieries have lead indeed to some annoying hint bashing ala ¨Use the search function and do your homework!¨).

Now: do your homework, mate! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here's the correct link for my "39 Steps to Mentalism" that Dick so kindly referred to:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Good thoughts,

Bob
churken1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of churken1
Most items that can be done in a parlor setting can also be done close up with a little thought. Confabulation, Magic Square, anything by Jon Archer - it can all be adapted. Maybe instead of using a big white board, you are using your business card, etc. - you see what I mean. I have adapted many routines that are designed for the parlor (such as John Riggs material) and use it all the time in my restaurant and private shows.

A great book to check out is Switchcraft. There are many posts about it on the Café. Billet work is great close up. Also, check out the works of Mark Strivings.

Just like your routining of a trick, use your imagination to work out ways to do stand up material in a close up setting. It is not that hard, given a little thought.

Paul
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
"The Handbook of Mental Magic" by Marvin Kaye doesn't appear many times on the book lists, I think it's underestimated. Although the ghost show part is very old-fashioned.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On May 9, 2011, stefo wrote:
I want to be something between Banachek and Richard Osterlind.

Quote:
On May 9, 2011, Mindpro wrote:
Banalind? Osterchek?

Nah isn't that Jim Sisti? Or was it not Jim on Banachek's dvds? I have a feeling it may not have been...)
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Sisti is with Osterlind. Scott Wells was on the Banachek DVDs. Both mentalists have terrific close-up material.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2019, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
Sisti is with Osterlind. Scott Wells was on the Banachek DVDs. Both mentalists have terrific close-up material.

dang it - I was sure I was wrong just after I posted it....as in the next day when you replied! LOL Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up mentalism material (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL