The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Old dove act of Gérald Le Guilloux (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
You have probably seen Le Guilloux' act ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6PADgnr8vE )

This one is quite old. With this one he won the Monte Carlo's gold wand which is a very prestigious prize in Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMVrTHpXkg

It's quite classical but executed perfectly. In my opinion Leguilloux is one of the best dove worker of Europe. Most of the techniques he uses are his own creations (I really love his dove from flame).

By the way he has made 2 dvd about dove manipulation. Unfortunately there are only in the English language. I don't have them but they've already received very good reviews. He speaks about dove production (with original methods) and dove cage production. (They are available from Arteco in France).

Preview here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nG6YKgMIQ
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Great techniques, had me fooled big time on some moments, and he's very charismatic as well. But I believe he could use some coreography, IMO.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As you said, this is an old video and it has been on the Café before. I guess I've been doing this too long but I didn't see anything really unique and his steals, both for doves and cages were pretty obvious. How many times did he turn his back to the audience and then turn around to make his production? Fabio is correct. He could really use some choreography and routing help. He actually didn't have a routine. Just one effect after another.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out at the end that he's going to produce his assistant or a large bird finale. The act was OK I guess for entertainment value for a lay audience, but it could have been a lot better.

Quote:
It's quite classical but executed perfectly. In my opinion Leguilloux is one of the best dove worker of Europe. Most of the techniques he uses are his own creations (I really love his dove from flame).

His effects were not executed perfectly. He fumbled quite a bit and his movements were not smooth. His techniques are no where near his own creations. Standard cage productions, liquid in newspaper is not his and neither is the dove from smoke bubble.

Arguably, he may be the best dove worker in Europe but in the large scheme of things, he's not as good as many other professionals.

Sorry for the rant and I didn't mean to critique his whole act but I really have issues when someone says a performer is the best and his act is really not perfected enought to warrant such a claim.
Where the magic begins
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
I didn't says he's THE best, but one of the ... for his new act a agree that it could be better (with a better choreography and link between tricks).

But as far as his old act is concerned, I think he did it very well.

They are few pro dove workers who shares their work and methods so in my opinion so I think it's worth to mention him here.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
What he did was OK but certainly not well enough to be considered one of the best. There really wasn't much for him to share and very little of his act was original. There are quite a few pros that do share their own work and methods.

I'm not saying he was terrible or that he wasn't entertaining,after all he is an award winner, it's just that in my opinion he wasn't as good as many others that I have seen.

The second video you posted was much better as far as execution but again, not much originality.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dave I agree with you on every point. I just did not want to be the 1st to burst Varyon's bubble. If he is selling these ideas, then I hope he is giving credit to the original magician he borrowed them from. It is only fair.

I have always been surprised at how most of the magic that comes from Europe, originally came from the United States, then they put a little spin on it and sell it back to us. With never having to make an investment in the 1st place. It would be nice if we could work together so both parties get rewarded.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
I own his two dove DVD..they are in France

He shows all the moves , gimmick & steals for the appearing bird cages.....seldom shown on other dove DVD.

His invisble & dove bags are standard with a few minor improvement here & there, I like his one handed dove from sleeve appearance using invisble..the dove just shoot out cleanly

he also show a very clever parakeet holder & versious original method to steal dove bags from pants, elsewhere..etc.

A good investment for this 2 great DVD.

If any dove worker keen to buy, I have this 2 volume that covers almost all the secret of his act....selling at US$95(like new condition) including air mail to any country.
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Hi dove-boy.

Does he explain his fire torch to dove ?

wmhegbli, maybe I wrong but I think Le Guilloux put a lot of research and development before sharing his work. I don't think he has stolen idea's from someone else.

Dave, a good dove act does't have to be 100% original. Marko Karvo is one of my favorite dove worker but most of his effects are classic.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vayron, I didn't say a dove act had to be 100% original to be good. In your original message you said
Quote:
Most of the techniques he uses are his own creations
My comment was based on that statement to say that his techniques are not his own creations. He may have his own dove bags as dove boy stated but the execution of the steals were standard and not original at all.

Quote:
I think Le Guilloux put a lot of research and development before sharing his work. I don't think he has stolen idea's from someone else
He uses the smoke bubble to dove, fire silk to dove, cell phone dove production, production bird cage, fickle fire and the production and vanish of a candle to dove (his method of this is taken directly from Lance Burton) which have all been used by other well known dove magicians. That doesn't mean he stole the ideas, just that what he does isn't original and it doesn't have to be.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Man is there some serious exchange of words going on in here!!! You guys are awesome. Vayron, these guys are really good guys, they just say it like it is, so don't take it wrong or that they are attacking a mentor of yours. Wish I had guys like this around me when I was younger????? In the humble beginnings of my Café membership.( not that long ago) Dave stated that my act was not his cup of tea, but he liked a few of my ideas. Well Vayron, since then, I have made many greatfriends here in Café, including Dave Scribner. Just some great honest critique and most of all.... Honest HELP. Good to see you staying in the argument here Vayron, look forward to seeing more post from you.

And Dave... I hope all is well my friend. Café is AWESOME
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
Well maybe he's not as original as I thought, after all I'm quite young in bird magic

Anyway I will stick with the idea that the techniques from his old act are well executed Smile

And as dove boy said, there is few pieces of information available about cage production so this DVD is I think a good idea.

I just wanted to share an old dove act with you, originality is an other topic ;-)

Ands as Tropicalillusions said, many thanks to the Café, it as contributed greatly to develop my knowledge (I've just bought Frewin's dvd and it's just incredible)

Sorry if I made English mistakes, I do my best
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Vayron, you will love Greg frewins DVD series, he is a good guy and shares some great information in detail. I have known him for many years, and he is the type of guy who will give you the shirt off his back!, well ok maybe not his shirt, but he is real helpful in many ways. Enjoy the DVD. Thanks for resharing the video, it is always good to take a look back from time to time. Wish you the best in your dove working endeavors.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris, I didn't think you remembered my critique of your act. Did I actually say it wasn't my cup of tea? Things seem to be moving along in the right direction for me.

Vayron, I'm glad you are taking the comments as constructive criticism. Even the worst dove act offers some ideas that can be modified. For instance, his dove duplication with the mirror is a good idea but it looses impact when he hides it out of sight while getting the first bird.
Where the magic begins
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
I completely agree as far as the mirror is concerned. On his other act (which is not on youtube), he did the trick much better, the mirror was never hidden

I really like his dove from newspaper. Is it his own method ?

Criss, I've already received the dvd's and there are by far my best investment in dove magic. I just find this loops quite big and I think I will keep Amyx' dove wire.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:

I've seen the effect before but I don't know if he is using his own method or not.
Where the magic begins
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-05-12 07:43, Dave Scribner wrote:
Quote:

I've seen the effect before but I don't know if he is using his own method or not.

James Dimmare uses a similar, if not the same, method for producing a dove from a scarf.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Maybe it's just me or the resolution on my computer but it seemed like the newspaper was very bulky at the top. I don't know if that's a clue or not.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Hey Dave, You may be right, I don't think you said it wasnt your cup of tea, but I believe it was the style of performance that didn't agree with you. And we chatted an hour after that and quickly became Café friends with respect for each others taste and Knowledge. You cant beat that.

Vayron, You are correct about the loop sizes with Frewins bag. It works great for what he was doing with the act at the time, and a person should adjust accordingly. I also use good braided wire and create different loop sizes for different styles of productions. All of the Dove videos out there seem to cover different styles which gives a person some great variations to accomplish an effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well I did a search and Gerald Le Guilloux does not have a web site. There are some dealers selling a color changing rose and a cage and girl illusion.

I cannot find any DVDs available for his dove magic or his bird cage productions. I only found where he was scheduled to do a lecture at a French Magic Shop.
Vayron
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
229 Posts

Profile of Vayron
His dvd's are available exclusively at Arteco in France. http://www.magicalement.fr/arteco/gerald......248.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Old dove act of Gérald Le Guilloux (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL